NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy's homemade stand

I made this for Murphy just before we got him as I didn't like the look of the ones you could buy & couldn't afford a Java stand. I wanted it to be as natural as could be with some different places to perch. I have since added some toys for him & he is still learning to get about on it (he's only 16 weeks old).

The base is an old Xmas tree stand with an old round top table as a kinda tray to catch the poops. I painted the tray in a washable emulsion that I used on my walls so I can wipe it clean, I also cover it with newspaper.

The branch was from the sycamore tree just outside my garden gate. After I finished making it I washed/scrubbed it with a bleach solution, rinsed well & dried it in my sauna.

021..jpg

Thanks guys for the nice comments, It wasn't too hard to do just some time & patience. I seem to be quite good at making things if I put my mind to it.

luvparrots, the sauna wasn't to much work either although finding it was tough. Got it on ebay as second hand but it needed to be a log sauna & a certain size as it's in my garden & then a roof had to fitted. It was freezing cold here in Winter with temps down to -17c the one night & I was out in my sauna & then ran out for a quick roll in the snow.......lol

• 3 weeks later...

That's great - I love the rustic look. I don't have a sauna so how would I dry a branch like that out? Just wait weeks for it to dry naturally? I'd love to make something like that for Alfie. Murphy looks right at home on it! THanks for sharing.

That's great - I love the rustic look. I don't have a sauna so how would I dry a branch like that out? Just wait weeks for it to dry naturally? I'd love to make something like that for Alfie. Murphy looks right at home on it! THanks for sharing.

The rustic look was something that I wanted, I felt it would look better than say a metal one for example. Murphy has just started to explore it as he is getting used to climbing around & figuring out how to balance, fly etc.

I also put some brass eyes on it for some toys & he loves playing with them on there.

As for the drying process, when you make natural branches for the cage it is recommended that you dry them in the oven to kill any germs. Anyway as my stand would have not fitted on an oven I used the sauna but not sure it's a necessity to dry them that way as I also used a bleach solution & a wire brush & gave them a real good scrubbing. I'm sure now that summer is here just leaving it somewhere warm or just in a garage it will dry over time.