NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cocoa flying vids

dhorje

I have not been shooting any vids nor pics lately. I was down with fever then cough and flu.

Cocoa has not been out too often lately. Cocoa managed 4 outdoor flights yesterday. They were all short distant.

This morning, I stretched the rope to the max to make the longest flight to be flown by Cocoa. Halfway, she changed her mind and came back to me.

Not sure what happened.

She made it in the 2nd attempt. This is her record outdoor flight.

Thanks guys. I am a lot better now except for my nagging cough.

Sunnybird,

I make my own extension line. She landed on the monkey bars. That's her landing platform. I don't have an assistant like Shanlung to do recall exercises. The monkey bar is the only place she will fly to.

Cocoa has not been flying outdoor so often for the past 3 weeks.

She will be getting more flying exercises soon. : )

This is how I made my line. The fork like metal piece is from the Aviator Flightline or you could use something similar. I bought the thinnest rope that I could find at the hardware store. I attached the line to the harness using an O ring. The rope is quite a slippery type. I used super glue on the knots to hold them permanently.

The fork like metal is embedded in the ground. This way I could get a double distant for Cocoa to fly.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

Sanggay, I say it all the time. I enjoy watching Cocoa fly. I have a question. Something I have thought about doing with Ana Grey. Are you familiar with how falcons and other birds of prey are attached to outdoor perches? They have a jess of leather sometimes permanent sometimes not with swivels and leashes that attach to their leg so that they cannot fly away. Have you considered this as a way to do away with the harness? Ana Grey hates the harness and picks at it all the time so I was thinking...... I would like your thoughts on this if you don't mind.

I have once seen an eagle with its foot attached to a leash at a resort. I wasn't paying attention to it because at that time I did not have a parrot yet.

Sorry, I won't be able to help.

As you see in this pic. http://www.pbs.org/falconer/falcons/index.htm

the feet are attached with a bracket. Birds of prey have powerful leg. I don't think it is suitable for a parrot

Why don't you make one like Shanlung's harness? His harness is more durable than Aviator's.

Cocoa still chews on her harness till today. She has already damaged 2. It seems like she prefers the new one.

The older ones has Aviator word printed on it. The new one is without the word and the material is different.

I took Sunshine out with the aviator harness during the Easter break when I had vacation and was at our country place. He is constantly chewing at it - I have to keep him busy all the time. I keep telling him - forget about that - look around you! I hope that with time he will become more accepting. I had him sitting on the branch of one of our cherry trees, and although he seemed to be enjoying himself and liked picking at the cherry flowers and the smaller branches, he would still return to tugging at the buckle on his chest. He is able to loosen it himself, but I don't think that he could actually get it off. It does mess up his feathers a little, I noticed. I'm trying to get my husband to download the photos from his camera but...... when I have them I will post them.

I think that the buckles around the ankles would really drive him nuts because he would keep getting his legs tangled up when he walks I imagine!

I cannot fly him at our country place because we have too many trees. I will try to go down to the beach eventually or maybe take him to a park around my home in Athens. It will take some time to get him used to the concept, I'm sure.

Thank you for the great pictures of your flight line.