NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rene day 2

JJsHoney

Rene has been doing ok here in his new home, we have had some arguments and a few nasty bites, but then we have the I am sorry time lol... Yesterday I got my first "blood letting" bite, I must of missed something he was trying to show me and boy did I get it! I'll do a run down of the events so you can see where I went wrong, I went to the cage talking to him and he came to the door after I asked if he would like to come out for a alittle while, he stepped up and whispered something in parrot tongue lol, "good morning Rene how are you?" well then I got pooped on I saw it coming but didn't want to move fast and startle him, so I took it like a champ and then told him we had to go to the bathroom to wash my hands, we walked into the bathroom, I placed him onto the side of the sink and ran the water, he was leaning in close to get the mist and making water dripping sounds, Again I asked for a step up and everything was fine, went back into bird room sat on chair (mind you I am speaking the WHOLE time to him) so anyway we sat for maybe another 10 minutes he was whistling clicking and had started to preen sitting on my leg, well after he was done he had started to look back to his cage and then to me, so I asked if he wanted to go "home" which immediatly he lifted his leg for a step up I picked him up saying step up WHAM!! before I could move my hand he had my index finger and I was bleeding. so I rocked my arm alittle to make him loose his balance he let go I said no biting and walked him to his cage he stepped off and all was fine he was making kissy sounds again lol... later I "repeated" the earlier events and nothing....

I am sure the first few days with a Grey that has lived elsewhere for quite a while will be a somewhat random and exploritory experience. But I am sure with the patience that you describe yourself as having, things are going to be just fine. I love hearing about how peoples new greys behave. It is going to be a fun experience for sure and it's nice to have you share it.

This is only the second day and he needs time to settle in and feel comfortable plus you haven't observed him enough to catch his signals or body language but from what you described as happening it doesn't appear you did anything to warrant a bite but it happens. Just don't take it personally and you will learn to read him better.

Everything is new to Rene so I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding. Their beaks are used like our hands so perhaps Rene was just testing the firmest of his "perch". You will both get use to each other soon so don't worry, I don't think you did anything wrong.

Thanks guys, I know he needs me to be patient I try lol, my cousin (who I got him from) says he is really out going and to try to push him when he is receptive to it, I was just confused by the bite..

But on a good note!!! HE LET ME TOUCH HIS HEAD!! just alittle while ago I was taking the brocolli out of his dish and he came close and was watching, so I took a big chance and started rubbing all he did was push my up against my hand, like I wasnt petting hard enough, so I started scritching him, his eyes were closed he looked like he was really luving it!!

Needless to say I am on cloud 999 lol