NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How are Greys able to mimic so well?

lovethatgrey

I am ashamed to say...that I just bought a new video camera ( a year ago) and haven't been able to take the time to figure out "How to" get my dvd's on my computer....:(

Yea, you guys know.................'IT'S ON MY TO-DO LIST.

I had an Amazon for 10 years, an orange winged but not much of a talker I'm afraid or singer, he was more of a hands on parrot. He used to hold his own spoon & eat off it that sort of thing. I Know that yellow napes etc are meant to be better talkers than orange winged & have seen some great singers on youtube, always got the impression that Amazons are the best singers & African greys are the best talkers.

Penny - Your Video Camera should have a USB cable it should have come with that you could plug into your laptop or PC and then save the video to on your hard drive. Also, reading the manual helps...I'm guilty of not reading them myself unless I have to. :P

The truth is, in all species, some talk, some don't. We all know that if they chose to speak or not, does not mean they are not as highly intelligent as the next. They just communicate in different ways and if we humans are so intelligent, we can read a ton from the signals they send us constantly.

After finding that Budgie that spoke over 1700 words, I was dumb founded. It is obvious the little guy was just rambling off all these like a tape recorder, but it was still impressive.

I found a forum with an author that has owned a Macaw for over 17 years and has written a book on Speech in Parrots. His Macaw has a vocabulary of ~4000 words at this point and uses them in correct context. He is a very interesting man to converse with. He studies the sound bites and looks at the segmentation of speech. He is certain that most of us Parrot owners are not picking up the ton of information our much loved birds are communicating to us. He has spent the last 17 years doing exactly that with his Macaw and his research is amazing.

Penny - Thanks for bring up the abilities of species other than Greys. There is no doubt they have as much going on in those minds as our Greys. :-)

Edited by danmcq

When you plug it in to the USB port, your computer will automatically detect it when you turn the camera on and pop-up a window with choices of what you wish to do. Your video camera may have even come with a cd and software for saving and editing videos. But, when you see the pop-up window, select the video you wish to save and it will by default show you folder locations under your user name\documents\pictures or videos. Then you can make a new folder and name it if you wish and save the video in that folder. YOu will then be able to find it easily the next time you wish to add another video or upload it to the web.

Okay....GRRRRRRR.............................thanks Dan, I'm just being lazy..........Thanks for the quick and concise instructions. I will set up the camera and try and get Nilah 0n video. One question, I have a dvd recorder, can't I just put the dvd in my dvd drive on my computer and do it that way? I have so many cables and plugs, finding the right one for my camera is an overwhelming task. :(

Yes, you can if your drive accepts the smaller dvd size. I am assuming that it has a mini dvd for recording? If you push the button and open the drive you should see a small circle in the middle the size of the mini dvd to place it in.

• 2 weeks later...
I have so many cables and plugs, finding the right one for my camera is an overwhelming task. :(

OK, going totally off-topic, but as a professional organiser, here's my tip for keeping all those cables straight. When you open the box of a new toy, take each peripheral and label it immediately. I use a label maker, but a piece of tape you can write on that will stay stuck works as well. Then keep all cords and cables in one box. This seriously cuts down on frustration when you need to put your hands on a particular item quickly:)

• Haha 1

The other day while at the avian vet's office, I was amazed at the noises I heard. There were a number of African Greys there who tricked me into thinking that someone was actually talking to me from behind a curtain, it really sounded like a man's voice. Paco's "Hello" doesn't sound a bit like me, it's higher pitched. Anyway, I'd like to hear thoughts on what the vet said to me, that is, African Greys seem to divide into two groups, the first being ones that love to talk, and talk a lot, and the others who love to immitate sounds. She said that her observation is that both groups do both, but they really seem to take to one or the other as a specialty.

All I know is that Paco has stopped talking since the vet visit, but is sure doing a lot of different birdie noises that I'd never heard him make before...