NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting and African Grey. Some common questions..

mpr86

Decided on an African Grey Congo. Will be picking him/her up in the next few weeks.

2005506567164289901_rs.jpg

I wanted to get it sexed, but was really concerned about the pain it may go through when they take a blood sample through the nail. Is this generally recommended or should I have it taken a vet which hopefully will be able to draw from the vein.

In addition, what type of a checkup should I get on the bird? Is a full blood panel recommended? Any vaccines?

The bird shop I am purchasing from is great, the employee I spoke with mentioned that they are already checked for the poly(something) virus and that she would just recommended a full blood panel. What would you guys do for a newborn approximately 3 1/2 months old?

In addition, I purchased a Kings Cage for it

eltpc4226.jpg

Does that seem adequate for it?

I am a first time African Grey owner, previously owning Cockatiels. I am very excited and can't wait to bring it home.

Post edited by: mpr86, at: 2007/08/06 22:32<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/08/08 02:43

Welcome MPR86!!

That is a great looking Baby CAG!

The full blood panel would be good along with an Avian Vet check up.

As you mentioned, since you don't want the blood taken from a Nail Clip, the Vet visit will be the right time.

The Cage is plenty of room for your CAG to have fun in and flap his wings.

Again, welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting a Photo right off the bat. :-)

When they take the blood sample, they can jsut smear some of the blood on a piece of paper that is sent off in the mail, when they take it for a full blood panel, which you want done at the vet! I would also recommend an organ function test and a poop gram stain. As far as vaccinations, polyoma is one I recommend, and your vet can inform you of what to get, thats the best way to go!

I see.

In terms of Polyoma, is it required? The store explained that the mother and father of the bird don't have it so my baby CAG wont need it. Is that a safe assumption or would you still recommend getting it done?

Greetings mpr86 and welcome to the family here! The baby in your picture looks super cute. They are precious at that age (and as adults as well of course!).

Regarding the health screening, it is recommended that you have a vet perform a standard health check including blood work up. Most sellers/breeders will guarantee the health and allow the buyer some number of days to get the checke done after purchase. Of course many people buy babies w/o any health check and do just fine, but it is certainly recommended to get an exam. Polyoma is of primary concern for young birds 14-56 days old. After that the severity of this disease, should they acquire it, drops significantly. There is a vaccine available, but again its value is questionable for birds beyond the age range specified. See link below.

http://www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/Polyoma.htm<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/07 04:00

All of my birds have been rehomed/rescues, so I don't actually know if they have all been vaccinated prior to coming to live with me or not. If you plan on taking your birds out in public alot, or you're a breeder, or visit a friend that breeds or has a lot of birds, its a good idea. I don't have any friends with birds around here, and I go to meetings once a month. Typically polyoma is common in dirty environments, and particularly common for breeders. For some reason it is more often seen in lovebirds, budgies, and some of the smaller breeds. None of mine are vaccinated, but if I were going to get any vaccinations, that would be the one I would get! Personally if I were buying a bird from a breeder I would get the Polyoma vaccine, only cause the virus can withstand many household disinfectants, but not bleach. Although a breeder could have a sparkling aviary, doesn't mean it couldn't be crawling with stuff.

And to answer your question, polyoma is a yearly vaccine. My vet doesn't really recommend it for larger birds if not taken out in public often and exposed on a daily basis.

Hi & Welcome! Glad you joined our family. There is lots of great info here and very caring members. A DNA test is very simple when done properly with their nail. It may be sore for a day or so, but then they are fine. I think it's much easier than through a vein.