NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting!

CheshireObi

So Obi has gotten it in his head that he can just bite and bite and its ok. When I open the door to his cage to let him out, he doesn't want to come out sometimes, so I'll offer him a step up and all he does is bite at me. When he finally does come out, he'll still bite at me from his playstand. Normally he'll take a flying leap off and come over to hang out with me though and he's perfectly fine with being picked up and handled without protest outside of his cage, but on his cage and playstand he's just a big biter. What can I do to squash him from doing this? He's out every day with me, and I know he wants to be with me, he talks and talks and loves to play and dance to music with me, but it seems he's just VERY cage aggressive.

EDIT: He used to be fine with me taking him in and out of his cage, without any issues, but since I had to move home, he's started this little issue. He's now about 11months old and I've had him since he was 5 weeks, I hand fed him and bonded with him and he was such a good boy before. Now it's like he's a different bird even though I treat him the same.

Edited by CheshireObi

A couple of things could be going on here. The first thing you said that jumps out at me is "he doesn't want to come out sometimes, so I'll offer him a step up and all he does is bite at me." It seems to be that he is trying to tell you what he wants, so don't force him.

The next, that he is cage aggressive - if this started with the move, it could be that he was feeling a little insecure because of it and now needs to feel safe in his cage. Alfie went through a cage aggression phase aswell and to be honest, I just respected that it was her space and let her be.

Finally, you say he's feels like a different bird to the one you hand fed. That's because he kind of is. Although he's a long way off of maturing, he is growing up and become more independant - pushing boundaries. You may see a few more versions of your baby before he's through!.

If he is still happy to play and dance with you on his terms, just accepet them - you will both be happier for it. The bottom line is, you can't force a grey into doing anything he doesn't want - well, you can, but that won't lead to anything good.

If it's any comfort to you, Alfie went through a similar phase to what you describe at that age, she's just turned 2yo and is the sweetest little bird at the moment! :)

If it's any comfor

Hey thanks for those words of advice. I'll just start leaving the door open and not sticking my hand in there. If he wants to come out he will on his terms...I figured this was the answer but it just made me sad he wasn't being like he used to before the move.

Im glad someone knows what Im dealing with, and can really give me some ideas and helpful tips with him. I love him so much and I just want him to be happy so thats why I wanted some ideas on why he's being the way he is.

Our Grey is the same in his cage and on the playstands.

You just need to become very familiar with his body language. Sometimes they will comply, other times they have decided it's not what they wish to do at the moment. I have just respected Dayo's wishes and let him stay where he is, unless I need to move him and then just insist he steps up and offer a hand area he can not get a good bite on, like the balled up back of the hand.

Your grey is maturing and learning that he has his own wishes and area's that are primarily his and enforcing his will by the signs your seeing. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

kihei is the same way...reaching into her cage is a no-no for her, so I have just stopped doing it all together. I just sit outside of her cage and talk to her and ask her "come out and play" hoping to mark her actually coming out of her cage with that phrase. When she does come out and stand on top she is much much more receptive to having contact. I think because inside the cage, she is confined and a long unfamiliar arm reaching in toward her propably makes her feel that she has nowhere to go if she wants to flee, whereas on top of the cage, if she decides she doesnt want to step up she knows she can flee much easier if she needs to. Just an animal of prey instinct I would venture to guess.

A note on biting in the cage.

Please remember they consider it THEIR home and safe place. Many become "Cage Aggressive". It's wonderful that you have intuitively noticed this and respect it by not entering their home unless asked. :)

To avoid the bite is the best solution, that way you are not reinforcing the biting behavior. giving him the space he needs to feels safe is the best option. He will eventually adapt and you can both move forward. The others are right in alowing your boy a choice to come out on his own. They have so few choices in life it is up to us to give them a few, good for mental health.

Ok so literally he came out of his cage to my hand, let me put him on his playstand, he jumped down next to me and is now trying to make me pay attention to him, which I am doing as he explores. He wants me to scratch his head and is making all sorts of noise. However he doesn't want me to pick him up. I want to just move him off of my clean sheets....but he's being bitey. I know not to push him but Id really like to move him.....argh!

Ah it wasn't my intention to let him on them in the first place. He hopped off of the frame of my bed which is higher up and totally ok for him to be on and got onto the sheets then wouldn't let me get near him. Im just not going to let him near the bed now I guess....I know he wanted to be near me because he did want head scratches so I was happy, but for practicalities sake....no bed at all....*sigh*

You learn as you go, don't worry about it.

You and he are learning each others boundaries, body language, rules, expectations and charachteristics.

Only time and patience with a lot of love on top will get this all settled down into a symbiotic existence. :)

From the beginning, if I don't want my grey somewhere I move her. If she won't step up I just cup her in my two hands and move her telling her why as we go back to her cargo net, perch, cage or wherever I want her to be. You have to be in charge or like any child or pet they will do it their way. And you know, Ana Grey loves me to this day, regardless of whether she get her way or not. I gently swat her away if she tries to light on my head, sit on my shoulder or on my keyboard. You are not being mean, you are being in charge. Ana Grey has boings, perches, a cargo net and a tree stand throughout the house where she can always see me and be near me in each room of the house, except the bathroom, that's mine! Does she try to bite me, yes sometimes but I tell her no and do what I have to do anyway. Just like little children, you have to do what's right for them and you whether they like it or not!