NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hmm.. microchip?

Brittany

So we went to the pet store [We took Pepper] around here which was having some sale and some lady came up to us and told us that we should get Pepper's band removed because when he gets older he could chew at it and chew his foot off, and that we need to get him micro-chipped.

Personally microchipping sounds a little bit scary and unsafe for the bird. :\ Is what she saying true? Also is microchipping really recommended or even safe?

Oh and on another note Pepper loved all the people there LOL he kept trying to fly on everyones shoulder. He even let a random guy come up and rub by his eyes wow. He was going crazy beeping and whistling because there was so many people it was hilarious.

The only way a bird would chew it's foot off, is if the band became snagged on something and they couldn't get it loose. If the band fits properly, that will not happen.

You can have the band removed if your concerned about it.

Micro-chipping only works if someone bothers to take the bird to a vet and have it scanned. Also, the vet must have the right type of scanned to read the microchip.

Personally, I would not have one surgically implanted.

Some people here have. It's a personal call of choice.

Dan said it all. Beat me to the punch.

The % of getting a bird back just because it's chipped is low to say the least but chipping is generally safe if done correctly by the proper person. My opinion is that it's not worth spending that type of money on an animal that's wild and who's only direction when loose is up, up and away.

Edited by Dave007

I have my grey micro-chipped because I will be anything to get her back if she is lost. I realize that some people might just keep her but I rather believe that most people are honest and once they have Ana Grey around they will see that she is very loving and trusting so must belonged to a caring parront. She never even blinked when she was chipped and there were no ill effects, that I could see, at all. The assistant even came out so she could let me know that Ana Grey was a very tame and cooperative bird and didn't even flinch during the procedure. I did not have her put to sleep during the procedure as I believe that would have been more harmful than not. Before I had this done, I watched the procedure done on a video I found on the internet. It was done easily and none fearful by a competent person. The vets in my area do the ID checking without cost so a person who finds your pet would not have costs. The checking is very simple, they just run a scanner over your pet.

I chose not to have Josey microchipped and I also chose to not have the band put on her leg, I have read the stories about them getting the band caught on something and injured themselves, I have it in my possession but it proves to be an irritant to them sometimes and then has to be cut off, why have it in the first place.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I still don't feel comfortable with microchips. I don't think we are going to do it. But we are going to keep his band on [he doesn't really mess with it]. If in the future it seems to really annoy him I would get it taken off.

What they need to bring out is a GPS microchip then you will have a much better chance of finding them if they escape. Imagine being able to track your bird to the exact tree or persons house where they are residing?

The day they release micro technology that is in the form of some device easily fitted to a bird....I am all over that. But the tech is not there yet.

I had Charlies band removed after reading a really horrific story on this forum. He is also micro chipped and I would not have it any other way. I know if the un thinkable happens I have that little extra chance of getting him back. Also if someone stole him or re captured him and decided to keep him for them selves I can prove ownership without any doubt.

Speaking of how wonderful it would be for a GPS microchip,

I found "Loc8tor Plus" on the internet for use with dogs and cats etc.. it would not really work to keep on a grey normally but perhaps if the tag is small enough then you could attach it to the harness for when you take him out, just as an added precaution.

I am thinking of getting dusty microchiped just as She said it would be perfect to prove ownership.

http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/Loc8torPets.aspx

http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/product/Loc8tor-Plus-Pack,153,110.aspx

Brittany,

Ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish.

If you're fearful of a problem with the band, then speak with your vet, not just "someone" at the pet store. My personal opinion is that bands present no issue for our birds. I do, however, recommend removing split bands (the type typically found on imported birds), as these DO represent a hazard. The solid bands placed by domestic breeders are no problem.

If you are looking for possible recovery of your bird, a band is the identification of choice for birds. A vet would have no reason to chip-scan a bird brought in for a check. But I see my vet check the bands every time I take my birds in, and she knows me very well. Ask anyone that has lost a bird whether or not the presence of a band (or lack of it) was a factor in recovery. I suspect it has no bearing on their recovery.

Some people just don't care for the bands and have them removed. This is clearly a personal choice.

As for my Greys, they really enjoy their leg bling and would be quite upset if I took it away from them.

Edited by Spinner

I'm not fearful of the band, this lady came up to me out of nowhere and I didn't ask "someone" at the pet store. She was just rambling on and I posted on here to see what others though.

I like Pepper having the band. If it ever became annoying I would have it removed, but Pepper hardly messes with it.

I was simply seeing other peoples personal opinions.

I would like to microchip Sunny so that I can travel with him if I want to or need to. Within the EU it is mandatory for traveling. I have not yet found the right vet to do the job but I will when the time comes. I also will keep the band around his leg as long as he can stand it because I don't want to have to prove that he was not wild caught and illegally imported.

As for the GPS technology - check this out: http://www.telemetrysolutions.com/quantum-4000-feather-lite.php

It's not yet internal but there are people out there using them on their birds. I saw a website in Dutch, I think, where they were using this device on their trained falcons. I can't find it anymore.

Sunnybird. if you wish to have his band removed and still have proof he was not wild caught thats an easy one. When your vet removes the ring and places the micro chip get some documentation that the microchip was inserted in to the bird with that ring .The micro chip has its own unique number with your details so if the vet documents that he inserted the micro chip and removed the ring there should be no problem

i spoke to my vet about the chip and she said that they may cause some major health issues and would not recommend it. i don't recall the issues that were brought up, but i do recall that i would never even consider it. i have place double doors all through out my house so that Mojo can't escape.

i spoke to my vet about the chip and she said that they may cause some major health issues and would not recommend it. i don't recall the issues that were brought up, but i do recall that i would never even consider it. i have place double doors all through out my house so that Mojo can't escape.

Somewhere I read that there have been a few cases in domestic animals getting cancer but I don't remember where I read that. The other thing is that it could dislodge and move to another part of the body. Like I said, I'm in no hurry and a bit fearful of having the procedure done but in case I need to travel internationally my bird will need it for his pet passport.

I remember 1 other vet saying the same thing a while back. I don't remember why because he addressing that problem to a friend of mine and he eventually told me the reason.

Lucky you concerning those double doors. Companies that make outdoor aviaries also have double entry doors so it's impossible for a bird to get out. Because of the well made construction and design, these outdoor aviaries are extremely expensive.

I have one grey that had no band (i bought her when she was 8 1/2 weeks) I had one grey who had a band which I had removed due to the various stories I read about birds getting their band caught on something when their owners were at work and horrific injuries resulted. Nilah, my amazon still has her band on, she does chew on it. I will have it removed soon most likely, however, I do have concerns that one day, the government here will come into our homes looking to conviscate birds due to some bird flu or some other reason....they are trying to control every aspect of our living now....and this direction is escalating....thus, how do I prove my birds bands belong to them?

Dixie was chipped when I got her - along with her chip information (tracking number, proof of ownership) was an envelope with her metal band. Beau is not chipped or banded and will be getting his chip next month. My AV is the only AV around this area, and he recommended chipping very highly. Fortunately - the area I live in makes a big deal of having dogs/cats/birds chipped and even the local police department has a portable chip identification reader to help people with locating their pets.

In all honesty - I never thought of having Beau chipped since he will probably never be able to fly with his damaged wing - but should he be stolen I want to have proof he's mine.

Our next visit to the AV we will be taking the Conures in for band removal. Blue has caught his band a couple of times on toys (his band has a defect) and I don't want to take any chances of him getting hurt. Bean's band will be removed just because, his band does not bother him, but they are to be "alike" in my mind. I won't be having them chipped however, the vet didn't recommend chipping for the conures as they are much smaller.

---

Robin

• 3 months later...

Lex

As far as a band goes, one thing that designates that the bird has been bred in captivity is that the band needs to be totally enclosed with no cut marks on it. That type of a band can only be put on a bird until it's about 10 days old. After that, the feet aren't pliable and no band can be put on.

As far as *captive bred bird*, all birds that are bred by anyone including breeders can own birds that were either wild caught or bred in captivity. All birds are captive bred birds in one way or another. There are no identifying items on a bird that designate where it originally came from.

As far as breeder's information on a band, it could be a variety of things that won't tell a person anything about the bird other than it's age and that's only if the breeder decides to put the year on the band. Different states have different information put on those bands

An open band is one that can be put on any bird at any age. It can be bent open or closed the same way. Any information can be put on that band to make it more sellable. Many people have the band cut off their baby birds by a vet because of possible injuries that a bird may have in the future.