NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My First Red Feather

Xtreme575

Tonight after work I was taking a little rest on the couch while Paco played between his cage and the hanging play-gym that is adjacent to his cage.

I was watching TV, but as usual, Paco's antics caught my attention. I watched as he played around on the bottom of his cage before turning my attention back to the TV. A moment later I noticed Paco standing on the bottom frame of his cage door and that he was playing with something. At closer look I noticed that it was one of his large, red, tail feathers!

I'm not sure if the feather was already on the cage floor and I didn't notice it, or if he got it out in the moment that I looked away, but I was sure surprised to see him standing there holding it. When I stood up from the couch he dropped it in anticipation of being picked up, so I grabbed the feather to save it. I'm quite certain this is part of his first molt (he turned 10 months on the 10th of April), he has pin feathers all over his head, and I'm seeing more and larger grey feathers than I have ever seen before.

He is still chewing the feathers on his breast right under his crop, but he never pulls them out, instead just overpreens to give them a shredded look. I'm still hopeful that he might grow out of this as he gets a little older.

I'm continuing with the aloe sprays and trying to make him as comfortable as possible, but this is giving me hope that I might see new flight feathers soon?!?!?!?!?!?

Jayd here, Please keep a eye on Paco, they usually molt they're tail feathers at around 1 year old. [hopefully others will add to this] Spock started pulling his tail at appox 10-11 months old and over preening his chest feathers, and top feathers at the bend of the wing. Don't worry, just keep a eye on him... Here's 2 photos of Spock for reference[ATTACH=CONFIG]17930[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17931[/ATTACH]...Jayd Tried to PM you, you need to set it up,,,

Harvey did exactly the same thing around that age Ryan and he had a gap for quite some time. It's regrown now - but you can tell it is a from a newer "batch" than the other tail feathers, it is a more vibrant red than the others.

Jay - tried to click your link and it wouldn't let me look at them :(

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on him. I'm trying to be optimistic as my normal reaction is a major freak-out, internally. What do the quills look like on a normal molt? Are they as though the feather has just fallen out? Is there anything I should watch for? I know it's a pretty significant molt, started at Xmas with one pin feather, now he is covered in them, and even a headscratch will result in one or two little grey feathers falling out.

God, if he starts on anything beyond his chest, I'll have a nervous breakdown!

They can look pretty ruff if they have a bad molt. Don't worry about the little white feathers, save them and make a pillow...Wait for a reply from Dave007 and some of our other fearless leaders....

Don't Worry, Be Happy...Jayd

P.S. I miss the smileys...