NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

One week left!?!?!

JJsHoney

Hello everyone,

With only a week away until Rainey comes home I have thrown myself head first ;) into learning the best way to transition him in to my home. But in the back of my head a tiny voice is yelling at me "What if he doesn't cope with moving?" or "what if he doesn't like being with us?" "Just because he has never bit me at his old house how will he react to me here??" The voice is small but getting louder lol..

These are some of the conclusions I have come to in my research..

1. Give him the time and respect he asks for

2. Hang out in the room with him, close talking to him telling him about yourself your habits and how excited and happy you are to have him with you.

3. Keep the same routine everyday with him.

4. If it doesn't work the first time try try try again, Don't give up on yourself your little birdy is counting on you!

So my friends I am looking for some help, maybe alittle more back bone! any other tips from anyone would be perfect!! Thanks in advance ~Bonnie{Feel-bad-0002007F}

Best thing to do is to not worry about anything until it needs worrying about. Then work the issues. You might be pleasently suprised at how well he adjusts. Just follow his body language and be respectful of his new adjustments. He already will be comfortable with you, so he will have that anchor. Don't worry. ;)

Well, the best thing you can do is to have a deep conversation with that voice. Give the voice a name. Something like Clyde. Be polite. Offer a beverage. After a bit of light chit chat, change the subject and speak about Rainey. Lay out all the problems on the table. Both of you can look at things from a better prospective. Two sets of ideas are better than one. You may find that compromise is your best solution. Thank Clyde for stopping by and make sure that you give him directions to get back home.

By all means give him plenty of time to settle into his new home, you will find that patience is your best friend so do not rush him into anything, let him think it is his idea.

You have had a grey before so you have some practice at this but if you pay attention to his cues and body language then you should have no problems but even if you do get bit don't take it personally.

Keep somewhat of a routine but not so rigid that if you get off it he freaks, change it up from time to time so he knows you are not so predictable, it will prove to be helpful at times.

The main thing is to relax and just enjoy his presence, if you are so anxious and unsure about his homecoming then he will sense that and things could get a little difficult.

I know you can't wait to get him home and we can't wait to see some pictures.

Relax! You will do great. We all feel nervous at first, but then the nuturing thing happens, you have family here to rely on, it will be great, and your baby will fall in love with you and its new home.

I was shocked there wasn't parronting school somewhere that would help me by practicing. Then I realized, it is online, the website is www.greyforums.net

Hi Bonnie. The best thing you can do is relax, as Stephen says, only worry once there is something to worrry about! Chances are, the second you get him home, awe and wonder will take over and you will forget to be worried anyway!!

Some storie I've read lately of older birds being rehomed may suggest they settle in better than you might think anyway. Good luck with him. x

Your list, seems fine.

Just let Rainey's body language and vocalizing guide you in your coarse.

The BIG player here, is He already knows and likes you. That is the biggest hurdle to get over when rehoming a Parrot.

Most times, when any critter feels out of place in a new surrounding, they will cling to the familiar. Guess who that will be. :-)

Looking forward to the homecoming, stories and tons of photos!!! :woohoo:

The others have offered you good advice. Go away Clyde.. LOL. We brought home a bird that by rights was never expected to rise to the occasion. He is only ten months, but had some invasive medical procedures that left him lunging, biting and not trusting. His vet said his bite was the worst she has seen in thirty years. Guess what, he has been here a month now and transitioned beautifully, so I held back out of fear and lost the months he could have been here regaling us with love and laughter. I decided I would welcome him whatever the outcome and will never look back. This grey partnership is an awe inspiring journey. Welcome to the flock.

OK, Clyde and I have had a looong chat, and I sent him to go see my boyfriend LOL, (he is always a little to cocky about things so maybe Clyde will help me on this one!) I am feeling much better, but wishing that I could go see Rainey before he comes here. Just to re-establish the friendship we had before but do to the circumstances of him being re homed that is not an option. So anyways I am going up Saturday I think and taking apart his cage and toys etc to bring them home and than we start the rest of our forever journey.. I am soooo excited!! oh and on a side note.. When akima had her accident, my cousin had offered for me to take Rainey just so that I could at least hold a Grey, but I had turned him down, not wanting to take away from his family... Its alittle odd how fate works out huh?

I want to thank all of you for your confidence in me... I am now using positive thinking and keeping myself busy preparing my bird room again! I have also been telling Bazil my quaker that he is getting a new roomate and to please please please do not teach Rainey the annoying song that he sings lol...(dreaming) ok... off to clean cages...

Edited by JJsHoney

Ok so here is an update, I talked with my cousin last night, and can go get Rene (said Rainy) I was spelling it wrong!! oops!! anytime, Trouble is my car is at the mechanics and cannot get up there until Thursday or Friday.. now the time is REALLY killing me!!! I was asking about him any likes or dislikes that I should know about, but he just kept saying he is going to love you and you will love him, but he is not really a cuddly bird and is happiest inside his cage or on a play stand playing by himself, so thats a wee bit dissapointing but we can't all of love bugs right? lol but I remain hopeful that maybe a new place and new parronts will bring out his softer side so to speak... I was also told about some of his favorite toys, which include the foraging toys and those indestructable bells the bullet proof one I believe, which is good because I have bunches of toys left from my shopping sprees before! ok, he also said he is not shy for the camera so I am hoping to get pics but he has started molting so he is a little cranky and looking a little shabby. enough jibberish for now, I'm so destractable right now!!

greysX4.jpg

one of these is the Rene I believe he is the one on the top of the cage in front!! they were all young when this photo was taken so I am not sure!

Edited by JJsHoney
added pic

It's almost here. Are you picking up Rainey on Saturday?

I am hoping to get there on Friday, my car is still at the mechanics :sad: I am going this evening to pick up a cage for him and play with him at his house. I'm really excited now!!

Just act like all is normal, talk about where he is and his new digs. Make certain he feels safe and welcome then just allow him time to settle in. Greet him when you pass by his cage and stop to give him a small treat once in a while or a head scrich if he offer his head. You will do just fine and so should he. Looking forward to the updates as he progresses in his comfort at your home.

OK here is the update for today (Friday) I never got up to go get the cage yesterday so if plans stay as planned I will be going up this evening to bring JUST the cage home, to get it all set up before Rene gets here, My cousin will be bringing Rene down hopefully sometime this weekend (I'll find out def tonight!!) It's very cold and raining here, so we aren't too excited about bringing him outside and I am not to excited about moving the moving the heavy cage LoL I'll try to snap some pics if I can tonight wish me luck!!!??