NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pizza

crossfit

We are having pizza for dinner. I made four pizza's with gluten free crusts for the humans (if you go this route, check if the crusts have tapioca - parrots can't eat it). The last, and smallest pizza is really a corn tortilla on which I spread a tsp of red palm oil, then a tablespoon of pizza sauce, then on top of that I sprinkled teeny bits of pellets and topped it with a small amount of almond meal (ground up almonds) so it even looks like it has cheese!

Now to see if they are any good.

Well, the verdict is in.

All pizzas were good. Hawkins thought his were tasty after a few tentative bites. He wasn't too sure about how to eat the tortilla part. So far he seems a bit unsure about whether he can just pick something up and tear it apart. I assume he will figure that out pretty soon!

crossfit wrote:

So far he seems a bit unsure about whether he can just pick something up and tear it apart. I assume he will figure that out pretty soon!

He will figure that out and much more:laugh: believe me!

Glad to hear the pizza turned out well and it was a hit with Hawkins, maybe a video of the next encounter if you are so inclined.:P:)

My fids get tapioca frequently. I eat gluten-free, and as you said, many wheat replacements use tapioca among others. I'd be interested in the source for not giving it to them.

Gotta love pizza, especially when they flip that last piece across the room and onto the wall :lol:

Is anyone saying Gluten is bad for a Parrot? Or is this due to a personal allergic reaction some people have?

The reason I ask is Gluten is a special type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat, and barley. We normally feed these to our birds.

I have never noted any type of affect and they have given oatmeal for example that obviously contain Gluten due to the Oats.

This a a new one to me. :-)

Dan, I am celiac which means I can't eat gluten. Thus I have gluten free products at my house and no wheat, rye, or Barley. Actually, Oats don't have gluten. In the United States they are commonly raised as a second crop after wheat and the oats become cross contaminated. I eat imported oats with no problem. I generally try and keep all gluten containing products out of the house including the dog, cat, and bird food. But no, the birds are fine with gluten. Just me and my son aren't.

I will find the source for the tapioca comment. I wasn't sure about that and wanted to dig deeper. I will also check with Hawkins vet on Friday when I take him for his first well bird visit.

Dan, just like Crossfit, I am a celiac. Basically, gluten is virtually poisonous to me, causing an immune response that affects celiacs in many ways.

Gluten is fine for our birds. Beaker reminds me of this with his feast of bread followed by a cute "neener, neener" gloat. :P

Tapioca is made from the Cassava root there are several types of Cassava some of which contain toxins which are removed during the processing into Tapioca I do not know why there would be an issue feeding a little Tapioca to Parrots. If some one has that information I would be interested in reading further. I have fed it in very small amounts but only when it was soaked in real fruit juice or a safe herbal tea. Avoiding the sugar and dairy us people usually use.<br><br>Post edited by: Greywings, at: 2010/04/08 15:30

Very interesting. I love learning new things. Thanks Crossfit and spinner!

Now, I must go research what a "celiac" to see if we may have Vampires in our midst. :P

Really though, I am going to research this. I had never heard of it. :-)

;) Found these on the net: Tapioca.

Tapioca, if not processed properly, can be toxic. It contains a natural source of cyanide, whose precursor, linamarin, is rendered harmless if properly dried, soaked, and baked.[Human] http://gbwiz.com/

Harrison's Power Treats

Ingredients: *Peanuts, *Sugar, Tapioca Maltodextrin, *Corn, *Hulled Gray Proso Millet, *Sunflower Kernel, *Hulless Barley, Split Green Pea, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Brown Rice, Chia seed, *Alfalfa, Montmorillionite Clay, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Kelp Meal, Vitamin E, Natural Trace Mineral Salt, *Spirulina, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Vitamin B-12, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menodione Dimethylprimidinol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

[Good Site]

Cassava. Cassava, manioc, or yuca (Manihot esculenta) is a staple source of starch in tropical countries. It contains the toxin linamarin which is metabolized to cyanide by enzymes in our gut. Cassava is the source of tapioca. In Brazil and other parts of South America they prepare farinha from it. The process of preparing these staples is long and requires the squeezing of the toxic liquid from the grated root. Boiling destroys the toxin. This liquid can be make it safe, by boiling it for two hours or more. Local food connoisseurs then use the detoxified liquor to prepare many dishes of their local cuisine. Perhaps the best known of these is Patos do cupi, i.e. duck cooked in this detoxified broth.

http://caiquesite.com/Foods/dangerous_human_foods.htm

Jayd:)

When we took an ecotour on the Amazon river in February, we ate a lot of manioc. Its really yummy. We also got to see it being processed in one of the villages. Processing it is a family thing and families take pride in doing it well. A family that is good at making it just right will be able to sell it up and down the river and become somewhat wealthy. The toxic one is much better tasting than the nontoxic one, once the toxins are removed. Its a process that involves soaking, grinding, pressing, and roasting and is quite involved.

good to know that the stuff in our breads is probably fine. I had wondered about that.