NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Companion to Our 'Caco'

pfcarquejo

Well…..here we go again.:blink: As I was afraid, at our house we never stop at ONE animal of a certain species. Call us ‘Soft’, but we don´t like to get out of the house in the mornings and leave our ‘Caco’ alone in his big cage. So….we are sexing “him”, to be sure if he is really a ‘boy’ (or a ‘girl’), and we are going to get him a companion.

What I want to know is if the people here with more experience with more than one Grey, has some advice to give us to this new step of our relation with Greys.

Thank you in advance

Paulo C.

Your birds will need their own cages permanently. Each bird has a different personality and greys don't like other parrots ( any species including greys) messing around in their cage. Greys are jealous birds so if you get another one, the first bird you now own should be treated as the *first bird* which includes giving food, treats, having cages cleaned etc. The new bird doesn't know what it's like to be a *first bird* so there's never any problems.

In the beginning, monitoring what your birds attitudes are with each other is impportant. Having 2 birds doesn't mean that they will always like each other.

If you're getting a bird of the opposite sex and making that bird into a pet, neither bird should be allowed to mate with each other. Pet birds develop bonds with their owners and that's the way it should remain.

Dave is so right because he speaks from experience, a grey needs their own cage and it is just iffy whether another grey will get along with the one you have right now but then again you might luck out and they get along just fine.

Greys see their own cage as their sanctuary, their safe place and even if they do get along they need to be housed in individual cages.

Of course if you want another bird to be company for the one you have then you can put their cages in the same room and they may talk and chatter back and forth with each other while you are gone to work or otherwise. I have a sun conure along with my grey, they both have separate cages and are in the same room, they don't get along but they are company for each other while I am gone.

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for you advise. If it isn’t to much to ask, could you please develop a little more the meaning of this sentence:

“If you're getting a bird of the opposite sex and making that bird into a pet, neither bird should be allowed to mate with each other. Pet birds develop bonds with their owners and that's the way it should remain.”

Why is that? Do you mean that if two Greys of the opposite sex bond with each other, they can no longer be pet birds? That was exactly what I wanted to know, because we intend to keep our birds as pets. I don´t mind if they bond with each other, as long as they will continue to be no-aggressive, and alow me to take them out of the cage and pet them. But if you are meaning by that, they will no longer alow me ti do this if they bond with each other, I have to reconsider the decision of buying a new bird.

Just for your information, because I think this is important, our Caco is only 6 months old.

Best regards

Paulo C.

P.S - African Greys live in "flocks", of many birds (many of them related). Do they reaaly don´t like other parrots of their own species?<br><br>Post edited by: pfcarquejo, at: 2010/04/07 13:46

Typically, and you will find this in most detailed parrot books, a bonded pair of parrots are much less likely to want to bond to you. Breeder birds bonded together are notoriously aggressive to people, preferring to be left alone with each other.

Since your bird is young, if you get another young bird they have more of a chance of getting along. Your bird isn't 'set in his ways' yet. But there is no guarantee as each bird has it's own personality and you will not know how two birds, be them Greys or other parrots, will get along until you see them together for a while.

Keeping two in one cage, even two Greys, is a bad idea. They need to be separated at first, slowely introduced to each other... maybe someday they can share a cage. But if you get a male and female that bond in the same cage, you are most likely not going to have such an important relationship with them as they will be more interested in each other.

I hope that helps! I've been wanting a Congo (I have a Timneh) so I have been looking into this stuff recently.

Dave is basically saying pet birds do not make breeder birds and breeder birds do not make pet birds.

Even if you get another grey and they get along just fine they should still have separate cages for each bird needs a space they can call their own and go to if they want to be left alone.

Breeder birds bond with each other and humans are left out and they don't want any interaction with their caregivers.

There is no guarantee that birds will like each other. My 20 month old grey will dive bomb my 10+ ekkie. My ekkie will shriek anytime my grey comes near him. Ana Grey pesters poor Sully sometimes just to be a stinker. I do not leave them outside their cages without me in the room. Some members have birds that like each other. But there is no guarantee.

we also did the same when Rangi our male was nearly 8 months old, got another grey female companion for him. I am of the opinion that if they get on there is no problem with them living in the same cage if the cage is big enough.

In our case we had them in their own cages for 3 months and one day I put Kea in her cage and she screamed and wouldn't stop until I put her in Rangi's cage with him. He was fine with this and we let her in there for an hour and then over the next week we increased that time. So now they live full time together.

Yes they are bonded with each other, but have never excluded us from their affections. They are never aggressive towards us, we are able to play with them, train them and they love us giving them scratches and head rubs.

I have found that having two is so much easier as they are great company for each other, they are able to do grey things together that us humans can't do with them, they have become social birds and the most important thing was that getting Kea changed Rangi's life for the better.

Nothing can beat getting home and seeing Rangi and Kea huddled as close as they can get together on the same perch or some days they are facing each other all fluffed up with their beaks just about touching.<br><br>Post edited by: Jane08, at: 2010/04/08 11:35

Judy I can't imagine being the exception because when we got Rangi we had never ever owned a parrot before so surely brand new owners to this wouldn't have such good success with both of them. I mean we did have our issues with them, but we worked really hard to do what was best for them.

Here is the advice we followed from Jim Mckendry who is a parrot behaviourist.

Provided that your two African Greys are compatible and that the enclosure adequately caters for two parrots in terms of enrichment and access to shared resources and perches. Compatibility can be determined through your observations of the interactions that they are obviously already having away from the cages. You need to reflect on the frequency of antagonistic behaviour between them, how they react towards each other in the presence of a shared food bowl or enrichment item, tolerance levels towards each other on the same perch and observable body language indicators that suggest a degree of comfort in close proximity to each other.

It’s achievable but you must make sure that you cater for the transition with sensitivity to their observable level of comfort with each other and ensure that the shared enclosure is adequate in size to properly cater for two African Greys. That’s critical as there are pressures on each bird achieving spatial comfort within small indoor cages that are relieved in larger aviary type enclosures, thus potentially making it more of a challenge. Start with short durations of shared cage time when you are at home to observe the birds. As they become more familiar with the routine, and if it’s `happy families’, then the time can be extended. It’s also another tip to have a complete perch change and furnishing rearrangement if you are using an existing cage as the new, shared environment. This way you can introduce them both into a `new’ environment and give them time to explore it and establish their perching preferences without the variable of pre-existing favourites.<br><br>Post edited by: Jane08, at: 2010/04/08 16:34

Just keep in mind that birds can be fickle and change affections and favorites in a sudden moment so always keep on eye in their body language for safety's sake. We had two Greys together in a large outdoor cage at the sanctuary with plenty of food, lots of toys and branches they got along well and seemed quite happy. After three years with no signs of trouble the male was injured with bite marks around his beak and he lost the first joint of one toe as well. Safety first.

I'll be more detailed here.

First of all, all parrots, greys, amazons, macaws, ecletus, conures, rosellas.cockatoos, quakers and all other species are wild parrots and even pet parrots are still wild even though they are also pet birds. They'll stay wild their whole lives. If one of those pet parrots accidently escapes from a house, it won't come back even though it's been treated and given the best of care. 98% of escapees are never retrieved which makes many people decide to stunt what they naturally do which is wing clipping which in my opinion is a cruel thing to do. Another part of their personality becomes stunted.

First off--*flock*-----all parrots are flock birds. If they weren't they couldn't survive. As far as * flock* --that applies to wild parrots and pet parrots. The owner becomes the head of that flock.. In a flock, many birds many not care for each other but it's very easy for them to not mess around with each other. As a matter of fact, many parrots in a flock may not feel the same way to each other but again there's many others to socialize with. Being flock birds guarantees survival of the flock. Again this applies to wild flock parrots.

Personality----as has been said, here many pet parrots many not get along with each other. It's a hit and miss situation but those same birds can survive as pets as long as they're given their own space. Their own space is their individual living space.

Type of personality---many greys and other species of parrots won't show their permanent personality until they're older ( adolescent ) so how they are as babies may not be the same after their independent personality develops.

Full personality----You may never see the full and total abilities of each grey when they are housed together. Every individual grey is different than the next and each has a unique personality. Many people aren't aware of their total abilities and ways of coping with things plus their potentional dealings with other things concerning a household and environment in a home. A grey or other species can show it's total individuality when they have their own space.

Example----talking. A person may have 2 birds that have the ability and desire to talk but because of different personalities, one or both of those birds may never show that talent when they're housed together. When a person buys a grey, there's no guarantee that it will eventually talk. Put two together and it may even lessen more. I mention talking because so many people get certain parrots because of their reputation to talk. To me, talking means nothing but to others, it means a lot. I just use it here as an example.

Behaviorists---they have a lot to say. I know many. They may give out their knowledge concerning something but what they don't talk about is the experience a person should have in order to accomplish what they say. I've seen that too.

More about *flock*---I have breeders who are not attached to me or my wife. Those types of birds make the best breeders. I've had them a long time. They are only bonded with each other but each pair is totally different than the others. My pairs have to each be treated differently than the next because they've grown up and their true personality has totally developed. They will tolerate each other at certain parts of the year but the time comes when they naturally split up and pair off and won't put up with each other. For my breeders, it's right now.

So, my point here is not to convince you that you shouldn't buy another bird. It's to tell you that you will have 2 parrots of the same species and you will have 2 parrots that will be different than each other. They should be treated that way. Each needs individual contact with the owner. That applies to pet greys and breeder greys. Give each their own space.

The basic rule you skould follow here is

Better safe than sorry.

I hope this clarifies what I'm saying.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/04/08 19:07<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/04/08 21:35

What a great post Dave.

I love hearing your years of wisdom come out in these explanations. :-)

In watching my Grey develope from 6 weeks to 3 years (April 28th) their personality truly develops and changes in stages as you describe.

I am seeing more and more separation from what ALL babies are seemingly like, versus the huge differences between adult greys.

Thanks Dave!