NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dressed up Doorway

rbpittman

Wow Robin! That is great! Good for you for thinking of that. I hate to admit it, but I don't think I'd ever get bored enough to take on something like that. I can't even make a "build-a-box" with all the instructions printed right on the cardboard...

That is brilliant Robin. I think I could make one of those - it looks like a similar pattern to making haynets! Of course, Alfie would be dead scared of it for a month or two but it might be worth a try! How long did Beau and Dixie take to investigate? And how much rope did you need for it?

Well done for your awesome creativity!

Actually I wasn't that bored, but it's my word for not having more pressing things to do. I used 100' of 1/2 cotton rope. I cut the rope into four 25' sections and looped them over the rod. The steel rod at the top is an extension to a curtain rod I didn't need (I have another, may find another door!) but you could easily substitute a dowel rod. The toys are foot toys for the most part. It took me about 30 minutes to do it and it's very similar to tying a net (exactly like almost). They are just square knots (and I'm a good Scout!). Beau took to it immediately, he's not afraid of anything (and sometimes I wish he were). Dixie followed Beau after looking at it for about 30 seconds. Blue and Bean have really enjoyed it as it is right next to their cage and Bean is flightless at the moment and hates when Blue takes off across the room without him.

I have been wanting a climbing net for them, but didn't have a good place for it - didn't want to put it in front of a window because I didn't want them to be that visible to the world, and I didn't want to remove shades. Hubby isn't too keen on it yet - he's much taller than I am and has to unhook the top to get through. Being short has it's advantages...lol.

I showed it to the owner of the bird shop and he's wanting me to make some to sell at his store - they would be great put up on curtain rods on just about any wall - even using the decorative brackets that hold the out from the wall a few inches.

--

Robin