NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I want to take Pepper to the beach..

Brittany

However, I really don't see how it could be safe? I am wanting to get the backpack parrot thing I've seen...

but really, should I avoid the beach? I'm so scared of it getting too hot or something. I don't want to put him in danger.

Well, in terms of the backpack thing -- does anyone own one? How often do you use it?

I live in an APT, but I would love to get Pepper out of the house and let him enjoy the nice weather. So would it be enough just to go on a walk outside with him?

Idk. All of these are just thoughts. I feel so bad that she's stuck in the house all the time lol.

Hi Brittany, I don't have one of the backpacks but I have a small dog carrier that I use for my birds. I sometimes bring them to work with me in it and they seem to love the outtings. If Pepper hasn't travelled at all yet it may take a little getting used to. As far as the temp at the beach- if you are comfortable your bird should be too- just don't leave her unattended in the sun. I would monitor her and be sure she has shade and water if she needs it.

Brittany, I'm thinking of getting on the Celltei Pak-o-Bird for Paco for this summer as well. I have a great travel cage, but it is to heavy and cumbersome for bigger outings. There are a number of reviews about it on here. They even make a Pak that is AG specific for the body shapes of our birds so their faces don't smash against the netting.

From the research that I've done, the biggest drawback to the paks is that they can get warm and stuffy for the birds, so I think that you'd have to find a spot with some shade and a mister with cool water.

Here is the website, I'm impressed with their forthrightfullness in addressing their drawbacks.

http://store.celltei.com/pakobird.html

I use the Pak-o-Bird with Dayo and it is GreYt!

Unless your in 90+ weather for an extended time,She will be just fine. :-)

Make sure you bird pack regardless of which you pruchase has water and food bowls, unless your only out for 30 minutes or so.

Hi. I have a pack-o-bird which I got for Christmas. I use it in the car when we are traveling (but on long trips I also let him out of it and he sits on the headrest while I'm driving. If he gets fidgety I put him back inside. He definitely feels a bit squeezed for space but I think that the ease of transport and the things he can see and participate in are so enriching that it's worth it. I have not gone hiking with it on my back yet, I will do that too however. Meantime I have been harness training him which is much better of course, but he tends to chew on it too much - we will see in the long run if it works out. Unless you intend to take him out for walks and you need the ease of transport which the backpack certainly gives you, you can rig up a dog carrier very nicely with a natural perch and cups. You will probably save a lot of money too. I wanted the backpack because I need to carry him for distances with my hands free when I go to our country trailer and it's raining. (Can't reach the property by car in the rain.)

About going to the beach - I will certainly take Sunny to the beach but I will be sure to find a shady spot. I don't know if an umbrella is sufficient. I have not done it before but it will be easy to tell if he's enjoying it or not... So just do it and see how it goes. Have fun!

P.S. My Sunny will NEVER sit in the pack-o-bird with the door open like the photos on that website. He will immediately climb to the top and sit on the support bar. I have to be quick when he steps down in it so that I can get the zipper closed quickly enough, but he doesn't complain, either.<br><br>Post edited by: SunnyBird, at: 2010/04/02 21:51

Like the others have said it would be ok to take Pepper to the beach, as with anywhere you take him he has to have shade so he does not get overheated and provide water at all times. He would enjoy being in the outdoors and if you get one of those carriers with cloth covers take it off so he has good air ventilation.