NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GreYt Poop!

rbpittman

Today was rather eventful in the life of Beau and Dixie. It was time to visit the vet for 6 month/annual visits (respectively). Now for the easy part - Dixie's visit was outstanding in terms of evaluation. She has an excellent weight for her size (408 grams) and is perfect in every way. She even willing opened her mouth to let Dr. Jose have a peak and was an angel during the exam. She has molted all of her old, clipped flight feathers and even demonstrated how well she could fly for Dr. Jose, including returning to me on command. Of course that was a fluke but we'll take it no matter how we got it...lol.

Beau on the other hand has presented us with a new set of issues.

Beau has developed a few cysts on his wing that has feather problems. He has a bunch of new flight feathers (9) coming in and that's very good news, however, he also has two feathers that are ingrown and will need to be excised. As far as the cysts go, we will wait for 30 days to pass and let those new feathers that are coming in finish developing so Dr. Jose can lance the cysts. We're hoping that lancing will be sufficient and microsurgery will not be necessary. I had noticed the bumps on his wing a few weeks ago, and scheduled the appointment as quickly as possible. Beau is handling the cysts very well in regard to not bothering that wing, but it does explain his grumbling if he touches the wing on the side of his cage or if I touch it just the wrong way. Dr. Jose is very pleased with the development of the new feathers however and doesn't believe we will have a forever one winged bird. Given the problems with no feathers to protect those new ones coming in, we are looking good. Beau's weight was very good as well - a brilliant 425 grams - major improvement from the 386 he was when I brought him home!

One of the nicest things a vet can say to a parront is that you are doing a good job with their diet - their poop looked great in color and consistency and he was pleased with the purple feet each grey displayed from the fresh blackberries they have been enjoying of late. That both are healthy, even in respect to Beau's wing, and that it's obvious they are loved. Given the outstanding comments from Dr. Jose, I feel great about the visits, even with the prognosis of Beau's wing and am counting my blessings that both are healthy!

Robin

We didn't need a vet to assure us you were a good parront - we knew it all along ;)

Great news that both are coming along well - and you must be so ecstatic about Beau's weight gain.

I'm sure Dr Jose will sort his wings out - if it's not one thing it's another for poor Beau.

Thanks for the update ~ great to hear things are going well :kiss:

What a wonderful update Robin!

It's so good to see an example of the efforts you put into getting Beau healthy, happy and integrated into your flock.

It sets a high standard for all to follow. :-)

You should feel GreYt about the doctors comments! :-)

Karma!!!