NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

pellet brand

dw310

Stephen, don't bother with the Sun Factor if you have Palm Oil, its the same thing. It's really hard to even get palm oil in Canada, I think we can get the Sun Factor because they list the ingredient as palm fruit nut oil, I'm sure it confuses customs.

Jill, I'm a Canuck, so I wasn't involved in McDonald's, although we do still sing God Save the Queen, does that deserve an illegal nut or two?

This is an excellent topic and one I feel we will never all agree on because it is basically down to personal feelings and the choice of our birds.

I'm not a big fan of pellets tbh and although I know they are recommended by many vets they are an atificial food. They certainly don't look very appatising particularly the Harrisons which are a very bland colour. Regardless of my opinion I do offer pellets as part of my birds' diets, they are mostly rejected. I have now tried Harrisons and Zupreem and my birds were not keen on either. I have now ordered the pretty bird as it looks colourful and I understand it "smells yummy" :lol: you can but try these things. You have to wonder though how much of the hype surrounding pellets is down to the maufacturers in the same way drug companies push their products on our GP's.

Regarding suppliments, I think birds kept in the UK and other countries that lack a lot of natural sunlight (especially in winter) do benefit from a vitamin D suppliment, this is probably not needed in sunnier climes. A small amount of calcium can also be benficial. The trouble is some people over dose on these things.

Just my opinion. ;)

To educate our self we really need to know "What is good for our parrots"?, "What is in the food we feed our parrots?".I listed a couple of brands, I like Zupreem, but not Zupreem Fruit!,It has artificial color so strong that your bird will poop the color. I don't care for Pretty Bird because it's all most all corn, a lot of corn isn't the best for our birds.

http://www.rationalparrot.com/diet.html#base

"From my own experience of blood test results on parrots eating a bad diet, I know that the most frequent deficiencies are calcium, protein, and vitamin A. Protein is completely handled by offering a pelleted diet, and almost all pellets also contain calcium and vitamin A. However, we do not know exactly how much calcium or vitamin A (or anything else, for that matter) that parrots require, so offering more in a daily veggie ration is useful. Natural vitamins, in almost every case, are not toxic, even in high doses. Parrots cannot overdose on beta carotene (vitamin A precursor that's found in food), and so more is far better than less.

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/VitA1.htm is a good list of the amounts of vitamin A in various vegetables.

Calcium is another big problem, not necessarily because of calcium intake. In order to effectively use calcium, parrots must ingest two times as much calcium as they do phosphorus, plus receive an effective amount of vitamin D3. Parrots can make vitamin D3 with exposure to sunlight, and it is also supplemented in pellets. The problem is phosphorus.

Phosphorus is a very common mineral in food... particularly food we feed to our parrots. Just off the top of my head, I can think of two extremely common food sources that are extremely high in phosphorus -- seeds and corn. Both of the links above give some details about this, but keeping that in mind, I choose to feed my parrots a number of high calcium veggies on a regular basis, particularly since I own a species notorious for calcium deficiencies (Mr. African grey)".

Know your food, research it, including fresh foods, spinach an swiss chard is great in small amounts? Why? research it, Did you know you should give only a small amount of Cheerios to them? The same with wheat product's!! Every thing you feed your fid's make yourself aware of what your feeding them!!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/04/02 20:31

• 2 weeks later...