NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Are Atoms a hit with everyone?

So I have seen some pretty awesome Atoms in this forum, and cool looking handmade ones. I've considered getting one several times, or making one myself.

My question is, does everyone have good experiences with Atoms? Yoshi seems afraid of swings but I’m guessing the atom is more sturdy...

Also, how do you attach them to the ceiling?

I love the look of them, but as Jill says, we can't get them here.....so I just made one!!! My first homemade toy!! A couple of hula hoops and some vet wrap and Bob's your uncle!!

Obviously Alfie is scared of it, but I will get some pics up in a couple of months when it has lain around long enough for her to accept it, and I've managed to get it hung somewhere!! I hope she likes it - I've wanted one for her for ages!!

As far as attaching to ceiling goes, I'm thinking raw plugs and screws - mine isn't heavey so should stay up ok.

I love how your suns get along with Spock as I have to keep my sun conure away from Josey, the sun is the more aggressive one and they are going to be so colorful when they molt and get those yellow and orange feathers on their necks, backs and bellies, show stoppers.

;) Go to a Dollar Store, they have *small Hula-Hoops*, buy 3, buy 6 stainless steel bolts nuts, some welded small chain and a "Swag Lamp" hanger [Walmart or hardware store]. Line up the hoops and drill holes [you can heat a screw driver and melt holes in hoops] and bolt together. Wrap with *Vet Wrap*, loop chain around hoops. Drill hole in ceiling to insert swag hanger,[spring loaded not screw]. This is expensive;) round 10 to 12 dollars.:P

Jayd<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2010/03/29 18:37

Jay that looks a lot like mine!! Except mine doesn't have a parrot on it yet, and plus, I decided (!) to go for the non-symetrical look - you know, to add variety!!!

Easy as pie to do though, and Jess you can get small hoops (timneh sized!) off ebay!

You should def have a go Janet, if I can do it, anyone can!!

Jayd wrote:

:) PearlLyn, Karma to you for your Hoopie Atom, I tried to put mine over my head and got stuck...:whistle:

Lol that would be worth a picture Jay!! I did the same to try to convince Alfie it wasn't a hula monster out to get her but she's having none of it! I can't wait til she wants to play on it!

Thanks for the Karma .

Janet, good luck with yours!<br><br>Post edited by: pearllyn, at: 2010/03/29 22:39

luvparrots wrote:

I have my three hula hoops and vet wrap!!! Now I just have to get to the hardware store!!!!! :) :)

Tell me how you make yours! I'd love pics too! That's an interesting idea getting smaller hoops from ebay...

I'll be trying to make one soon, I'm sure :P

So here are my hoops that are now put together with stainless steel nuts, washers and bolts. I used an awl to punch in the holes. I also used stainless steel eyehook bolts for my ceiling hanger and two on the sides for hopefully holding toys after I get it finished. I still have to use vet wrap or maybe not, I haven't decided. I am stoked I might just make a halfway decent Atom!!!!

january008-2-1.jpg

I also hung a steel bell in the middle for playing!

january007-1-1.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/03/30 07:11

That's excellent Janet - real professional looking! Mine's a little squint, but I don't think that's what's putting Alfie off - she's just a scaredy cat! She'll face up to an 8' Christmas tree, or our four-leggeds with fangs and fur, but this round thing with her toys hanging on it.....waaaaaay too scary!

CIMG6882.jpg

My goodness! How talented are you lot - I missed the replies to the rest of this thread! Check you lot out - I wouldn't stand a chance (and mine would have to match my decor!!) :laugh:

Can't wait to see if either Alfie or Anna Grey decides to try them out!!!! :laugh: