NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I just snipped it to help.......!

JillyBeanz

Harvey either damaged or chewed one of his "underneath" very long flight feathers last night and it was hanging way down below his feet. He tried and tried last night to remove it, but didn't manage it.

I hoped he'd manage through the night, but didn't and I hoped he would manage through today, but hasn't. It is chewed past recognition of a feather at the ends and is clearly bothering him - definitely when flying - he's making more of an effort as it's ruining his slipstream!

I had a little peek under his wing and it was nearly chewed through, so I cut it with the scissors. I'm not normally one to help along mother nature - but I could see he was either going to chew it through (which I would prefer) or he was going to get it caught and make himself bleed (which I don't want at all).

Obviously the shaft is still in situ - I presume that this will work it's own way out? I know it was probably the wrong thing to do, and I should have just let him carry on, but I was scared he would bleed.

Those feathers are annoying and it does take a long time for them to take care of it. Kea had one the other week and it was also hanging down and she couldn't fly with it, so I had to carry her everywhere for a week. It was hell having to take her everywhere, I was up and down like a yoyo because she wanted to go somewhere.

Jane08 wrote:

Those feathers are annoying and it does take a long time for them to take care of it. Kea had one the other week and it was also hanging down and she couldn't fly with it, so I had to carry her everywhere for a week. It was hell having to take her everywhere, I was up and down like a yoyo because she wanted to go somewhere.

Now thats one pampered spoiled diva, love it!:laugh: B)

Phoenix is flying, and he busted a feather. I had to pull it and use styptic powder because it bled. Butch panicked, and I stayed calm as usual.

Sometimes you gotta help mama nature out...

I knew it was bad when he landed and was screaming, and came running back to me with a little broken feather hanging at his feet :(

Chris you are so brave - I wouldn't do that in a zillion years - a trim is all I'm committing myself to!

I'm afraid I would be with Butch on the panicking scenario! When there was any dramas with the kids when they were little I was as cool as a cucumber - but animals - NO WAY! :laugh:

I was expecting that Harvey had snipped your hair for you Jill. It is hard to know what the right thing to do for minor first aid, I am praying it doesn't happen unless my vet is open and even then I would like to be sedated myself! Chris, it sounds like you are experienced enough to know how to pull a bleeding and broken shaft and calm enough to carry it out. For me, I am going to stalk my vet so I know where he lives in case it happens in off hours.