NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nothing but seeds!

mabdewn

Hi everyone,

my CAG, Charlie, lately only seems to be interested in seeds. I have one bowl for his seeds and another that I tend to put in the alternative, which is usually fresh fruit or other type of human food.

A few months ago, he would happily gorge on the fruits. Now it seems, he just completely ignores the fruit. I come back home finding the fruit pretty much as is. The seeds on the other hand have been consumed. But furthermore, he seems to only like the sunflower seeds in his mix.

What I've tried to do now is remove one bowl and put fresh fruit in it, with very few seeds. He seems to be strategically heading for the seeds and ignoring the fruit. I am hoping that he will eat, because he sees no other alternative.

Is this a good approach? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Cheers

Most greys have been going through a molt. This requires much more protein and fatty acids. So it makes sense that Charlie is craving seeds and nuts.

I would only offer fruit 2x a week or very SMALL amounts each day mixed in with LOTS of veggies like carrots, broccoli, chopped up kale, cooked bean mix etc.

You will find they eat different items each day if you offer different veggie mixes cooked and sometime uncooked. They remind of people, we like variety in our diet and it's healthy for us. :-)

I agree with danmcq variety and mixing them together as they will also require a bit more calcium at this time so the dark leafy greens are needed. Try chopping the veggies and fruit very fine and mixing in with the seed blend. The moisture in the veggie/fruit mix will help them adhere to the seeds so he cannot help but ingest some improving his nutrient intake and helping to develop a taste for them. This is also a good way to introduce new foods and perhaps begin sprouting for him.

Post edited by: Greywings, at: 2010/03/23 17:47<br><br>Post edited by: Greywings, at: 2010/03/23 17:57