NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What Kind Of Beans?

Elvenking

I constantly hear that people offer their birds beans in their diets, but never say what kind. There are many varieties. Is this just a general bean, or are there specific types that are preferred. Thanks :)IMG_0841.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/03/22 22:22

IMG_0841.JPG

Wow...that is a collosal recipie. Something simpler would be nice. I suppose I could shrink the recipie as well. I guess you don't need every bean listed. I would also hate ot make such a huge recipie and have him turn up his beak. Though I have not tried any beans yet. I will print this link for sure as it is a great source. Thanks. :)

I use Chickpeas and kidney beans. For grains, I use millet, amaranthe, quinoa, brown rice, spelt, kamut, long grain brown rice.

Don't forget to always soak your beans overnight. This is a MUST!{Feel-good-00020114}<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2010/03/23 02:30

I cheat! I buy a dried salad bean mix from Asda (Walmart), boil it up according to the instructions and then separate into little bags (or as I've just learned thanks to Judy, ice cub trays for individual smaller portions) and then freeze them! I make a good batch up and Harvey loves them!

I second the "soaking and rinsing beans" motion - it is so important - and when you soak them you will see why!

Josey loves beans most any kind and yes Jill the ice cube tray method works well to make individual portions, just pop them out after frozen and put in a freezer safe bag and then just get out what you need.

You can use most any bean but vary it and use different ones so it doesn't become boring to them.

My favorite is a package called "15 bean soup." I throw away the flavor packet and use the beans in my beans/veggie/rice mix. The birds love the variety of beans.

As an aside, I typically under-cook the beans so they are bit firmer than normal. Add a bag of fresh veggies and a cup of uncooked rice, and it's a meal! From this mix I can package up a couple dozen one-cup portions and put them in the freezer until ready. All my babies love it and it's simple.

Oh....mix in a half spoon of red palm oil when serving and it's a big winner.

Hi Stephen - yeah, you just rinse them in a sieve in cold water running from the tap then put in cold water in a plastic dish overnight, then rinse them again in the morning. Honestly, it is so easy.

I'm not sure where you buy palm oil in the states, but here we buy it from our pet shops and online pet shops. Dave's right - it's a winner (and don't worry when his poop comes out smelling and looking of palm oil)!!! :laugh:

Red Palm Oil is available at many vets, but I have bought it online at Rainforest Market

http://www.rainforestmkt.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RPOIL

and locally at Whole Foods Market. I can vouch for both sources as having good Palm Oil products.

I would love to find a good source of actual palm nuts, but they simply aren't available in the states fresh. They're like catnip for birds.

Okay...I will probably be able to find Red Palm Oil at a local organic health food shop near here called Trader Joes. I will try there before I order online because I would like to get some today. If not...online I go.

And yes, the Palm Nuts cannot be found in the states darn it, I got him some pine nuts instead that I feed him sparingly as treats...he loves em!

I will try to get the bean salad mix and or the 15 bean mix. I will soak em and wash em good. I am super protective of my baby. ;)

Palm nuts are the best invention since the wheel! Harvey now chews through the skin and flesh, tosses it away and heads for the nut itself. He sits for ages chewing it until he either breaks it, or realises it aint going to happen!

This is how Harvey prefers to eat his palm oil:

28112009317.jpg

and this is peace perfect peace:

12092009120.jpg

Too bad Palm Nuts are impossible to get where I live. I also will have to order the red palm oil online as not at store that I could find carries it. And I live in San Diego where most everything is available somewhere.

I did make some of this carrot, broccoli, egg recipie I was given. He seems to like it a little. I think he is still attached to his formula as well. I tried to give him the cooked goodies this morning and he was like, mmmm...I don't think so. But afterwards I left it on the counter and he eventually (after formula) went to go pick at it for a few minutes.

He still rips through veggies during the afternoon. Pellets, I dunno really. I might have to try something other than Harrisons as well. Maybe I will have to count them before I leave one time to see if he is grinding them. But I imagine I would see pellet dust on the bottom of the cage.

I took some photos this morning of the lil guy. I tried to get him in flight with his wings fully spread, but this takes time. Instead I got this one which is still interesting. It's neat to see the way the wings actually curl inwards at points.

IMG_1042.JPG

Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/03/25 18:41<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/03/25 18:42

IMG_1042.JPG

If you live in the US, you should really get your red palm oil at the site Judy recommended. You get the most ( 16 oz) for about $6. I need to buy lots of palm oil( 4 jars at a time) and there is no place cheaper. Much better place instead of going around searcing. You can also get fantastic prices on vitamins supplements and all other health related products for people.

PS---1 jar will probably last you about 1 year.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/03/25 22:09

Yes, Dave. I went ahead and got some on order this morning. You should have seen some of the stores I went to yesterday. I was asking, "Yeah, I am looking for dry bean mixes like a 15 bean mix and or a bean salad mix. Oh yes, and do you carry Red Palm Oil." They stared at me like I was doing interplanetary travel and that I had just missed my planet at the last stop. I did finally find a store that carried a 16-bean mix.

If there are any other fantasic products that birds seem to enjoy, I am open to links to those as well.

elvenking - that thick orange stuff is palm oil. when kept in the fridge it becomes semi-solid. As for the bean mix, you can use an ice cube tray to freeze it in small individual servings. Freeze in tray until solid then put the cubes in a plastic freezer bag (zip lock makes decent ones). In the fridge you can use it for two to five days.

I would imagine that most greys go for most any beans, I know Josey does and that method of putting the extras in ice cube trays is the best, when frozen you can dump them out into a freezer safe bag and just get out one or two depending on how many birds you are feeding and heat a little and let them enjoy.