NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alex and Me.. by Dr. Pepperberg.

lovethatgrey

I cried too. And was amazed and astounded by the things he learned. I was a little sad though at times that he had to live in the lab due to the restrictions of science and the bias of others outside of their lab that this wasn't real science. How much more would he have given to us had he been able to be a pet bird in the evenings sleeping near his flock.

Yes.. I cried too even though I already knew the ending. :huh:

For those who haven't already read the book. Here is my personal opinion about Alex and his life.

Alex the african grey may have lived in a lab, but he had alot of contact and interactions throughout the day with many different kind of people. :)

Much more than most "companion" parrots ever receive in "conventional" homes on a daily basis.

Lots of people took care of him and enjoyed his company. He was quite the intelligent charmer and he thrived on the attention and often used this to his "own amusement"

He was rarely alone except perhaps at bedtime.

There was "work time" but there certainly was alot of "play and goofy" time. He was well treated and always had company, toys and stimulation. He was also well provided for and had excellent vet care. He was never neglected, ignored or mistreated.

Yes, he was extremely intelligent and often became very bored, disinterested with the repetitions of the "training" trials, and sessions etc. He had no trouble letting everyone know when he was "done" either by voicing this or letting his opinion be known in a "non verbal" way. When he did... the trainings would stop.

Yes, he was a "research" example and that is the reason why he was purchased but he was treated very respectfully. He wasn't treated like a "lab rat" at all.

Just because he didn't live permanently in the "home of a family" does not make him unlucky.

31 years old is actually a very long time for a parrot in captivity to live.

I do not think that there in any home or location in "captivity" that can provide the PERFECT conditions for any parrot, but I cannot say that Alex did not have a good and meaningful life while he was alive. I have alot more respect for Dr. Pepperberg, especially after having read "Alex and Me"{Feel-good-00020114}

JMO<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2010/03/29 03:35

I cried from the very first chapter, and have a hard time shutting up about this book. Great story. Really great story. I look at my parrot and have so much respect for him, no matter what. Dr. Pepperberg's work has really far reaching implications for animal rights. Don't you think so?

I own it. It's been very helpful with it's anecdotal tips that never could be put in the study (tofu for moodiness, etc).

I think she's proven that these creatures are capable of the same level of emotional bonding and thinking as small children, and as such yes have rights that should be looked out for.