NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Purchased Earmuffs to Protect my Hearing!

lovethatgrey

Today!!{Feel-good-000200BB}

My parrots are generally quite quiet. Can't complain about their noise level.

My only concern is that sometimes they will take to screaming while they are perched on me and right beside my ear. It feels very painful sometimes.

They do this at random moments and for different reasons. Sometimes it's because they see birds outside in the backyard and like to scream at them, they do this to contact call to each other etc. I never know when this is going to happen and finally decided that I was going to try to save my hearing while I still could.

When I got home I let the both of them watch me stick them on my ears, I put Emma on my shoulder and said "Ok, go ahead and scream. Scream loud."

There was no screaming today. I don't think they feel comfortable screaming while I have my earmuffs on. Do the rest of you use anything to protect your ears too?<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2010/03/21 21:48

Josey rarely screams just some loud calls now and then but she can do a great sun conure scream. Now my sun does occasionally scream while on my shoulder and it is ear splitting if she is right at my ear when she does it, I think it too is in response to something she hears or sees outside that she feels like she has to "warn" me of, what we put up with for them.

If I tried ear muffs I am sure both of them would freak and not be on my shoulder, maybe you can try them earplugs, they are pliable so you can scrunch them up and put them in and they expand to close up the ear canal, my hubby uses them at work.

Yoshi has been making a loud call lately... over and over... even if we are in the same room. We sure have felt like earplugs a couple times :P

But then she goes all quiet and cute and makes the small noises and attempted human speech she usually does and we don't want to miss that :P

I guess we suck up the loudness sometimes, and don't pay her any special attention when she does it.