NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Boy parrots better talkers than Girlie parrots?

lovethatgrey

I wonder where that myth came from. Today I was speaking to someone who intends to purchase an african grey baby from a breeder. He mentioned that he wanted a "male" parrot because they make better talkers.

I had completely forgotten about that misconception/myth.:S

I sent him Emma's youtube channel link and he was somewhat flabbergasted.:P

I must admit that when I first purchased Emma there was a wee part of me that hoped she'd be able to speak human language one day but I did not give it too much thought. Perhaps there was even a part of me that didn't expect she would speak at all because she wasn't a male parrot.

I wonder where I received this misinformation.:blush:

Anyone have similar opinions :pinch:

I honestly didn't care what the sex of my bird was going to be. I was more happy with the fact that he seemed to warm up to me when I was trying to pick the right bird. I had never heard the myth that males talk better that females. I do hope that Issac ends up talking, though it will not make or break him as a companion. He already makes an impressive array of sounds that I love to hear. I love it when he gets chatty. :)

Really? I've never heard of that before, but then again I'm not a grey expert LOL

I'm not sure what Pepper is yet..though I have the dna test [i thought I sent it out but never got a stamp] lol that goes out tomorrow...

But Pepper is a pretty good talker. Her first word was "good boy" when she was 5 months. N she said Hello and other gibberish

I hadn't heard this either. I didn't care what I got. It was more important to have the right breeder so my baby was properly raised before coming to me. I did think a boy might be nice at one point for the small chance that he would be more comfortable with the social situations we are likely to find ourselves in. Then again, many girls are comfortable with that too.

Steve, don't run away just because you're right. Women do talk a lot more than men and the big problem is trying to stay awake until they finally make a point. Actually, sometimes that's a good thing because we wind up getting a nice sound nap.

My male is nearly mute. The girl pays homage to every teenage girl by not only answering your ringing phone (or parrot), but continuing to hold your side of the conversation for you.

My experience is the girls are far more likely to talk than boys. But boys are more trusting.

I'm with Dave....

I learned a long time ago to listen the first time and end the torture. If you piss a female off, it NEVER ends until they are quite satisfied with themslves in how miserable the made you for a LONG (Hours)time.... :pinch:

So, it's a not male female thing, it's survival. :P<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/03/17 20:33

danmcq wrote:

I'm with Dave....

I learned a long time ago to listen the first time and end the torture. If you piss a female off, it NEVER ends until they are quite satisfied with themslves in how miserable the made you for a LONG (Hours)time.... :pinch:

So, it's a not male female thing, it's survival. :P<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/03/17 20:33

{Feel-good-0002006E}Oh Dan!!

In most of the bird world, the males do most or all of the singing, so it's natural to expect that it might be so with parrots too.

But Ursula is a DNA-tested female and she's a complete blabbermouth. She chatters pretty much constantly for 4+ hours everyday (not all in one block), even when she's alone.

You poor, poor guys! I weep for you.:silly: Birds? Singing is part of the mating ritual as I understand it. Parrots? Precious talks and makes sense, so there! And she's a girl. She laid an egg to prove it. We did not know what Sammy was , but "he" :unsure: was a wonderful talker. He didn't carry on a conversation with us the way Precious does, though.:lol:

I've never heard this myth either. I heard that boys tend to be more aggressive than girls and that girls are late bloomers, but just stupid myths. I wanted a girl but I don't know why. Maybe the same reason I want a daughter more than a son, I just do. Plain as that. Fergie is a little over nine months old and hasn't really said anything too clear yet. She's really chatty and mimicks a lot of noise, learned a few tricks like kisses and a hand shake, but as far as talking she says things, we just can't understand them yet. I think she'll be a great talker, but she's just taking her time. Whatever though, talker or not I still love her.

The only major thing that's different comes when each goes into their yearly hormonal stage. Males won't act as aggressively as females. Talking is the same. Friendliness is the same.

Many breeders won't sex a bird for a potential buyer and that's a good idea. The buyers can do that afterward.