NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

OMG Harvey Spoke (debatable)!!!!

JillyBeanz

As some of you know - I have a mute African Grey! Whilst the rest of the world chats away - Harvey chooses to speak when there is nobody in the house to hear him (this is the conclusion I have come to)!

Now, today, he has stood on his cage and repeatedly said in a rather high pitched, squawky voice "Howay". Now - I would guess most of you are thinking "that's not talking" - but here is the geography lesson ;)

I live in a part of the world called the North East of England - and from my area the classification of people are called "Geordies". "Howay" is a term colloquial to my area which translates roughly as "come on".

So, obviously, when asking Harvey to step up, it is followed by "Howay" (pronounced Ha way)!

I am 100% sure he is saying it - but my husband is convinced he's just squawking! Could he be remonstrating in a voice that he's made up himself? Either way, I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't change his name to Dumbo :P

It is talking Jill!!

He is "Finding" the voice he is going to use. When Dayo first started calibrating and testing out his first word. I would listen to ensure I "Knew" what he was saying, then repeat it back to him and say "YEAH, GOOD BOY Dayo!!" very excitedly.

I am sure you are just about to jump out of your skin with joy right now and deservedly so! :-)

Harvey is just taking his good old time in talking, he has been busy causing much frustration for you Jill and now that he has that mastered he decides he will speak at least that is my opinion for what its worth. He might be slow coming out of the gate but watch out for there is more coming I'm sure of it.

:woohoo: I agree Jill! Congratulations! I swore that Paco was saying "Hello", but everyone else told me he was imitating a puppy!!! Then all of a sudden it popped out clear as a bell. It took a week or so for him to, as Dan describes, "calibrate" then it will be clear, I'm sure.

I'll bet Harvey ends up being a super chatter, he's just been deciding what he'd like to say the most! Yay!!! :woohoo:

Thats great!! I forgot, How old is Harvey? And does this mean there is still hope for my grey calypso who just turned a year old on the 9th? she says Hello perfect, but that is the only "Word" she says, All the rest microwave mimics, Kisses ya know...The usuall grey mimics, But only the one word. Still hope???

Congrats again! :silly:

JungleDreamz wrote:

Thats great!! I forgot, How old is Harvey? And does this mean there is still hope for my grey calypso who just turned a year old on the 9th?

Harvey's 15 months - so a good three months on from Calypso. I've been repeating the way I say "Howay" and perhaps I actually do sound as high pitched and squawky as Harvey is depicting!

I might leave judgement until a "real" word comes out though :laugh:

JungleDreamz wrote:

And does this mean there is still hope for my grey calypso who just turned a year old on the 9th? she says Hello perfect, but that is the only "Word" she says, All the rest microwave mimics, Kisses ya know...The usuall grey mimics, But only the one word. Still hope???

Of Course!!

Dayo did not speak his first word until a little after a year old 12.5, 13 motnhs..don't remember.

Now @ 2.99 years old (turns 3 apr 28th), I quit counting the words and sentences after they hit 200.... He picks up new words and phrases in one day and "Builds" his own sentences now and in correct context.

Never think or say never!! :-)

Yes! My theory is that Harvey has been pretending to be mute just to build up a wealth of vocabulary of things you have said and he plans to repeat ALL of them very clearly at awkward moments. Now the extortion plan is complete and he is going to regale you with all the things he might decide to say in your voice to vex you in yet another unique way. Seriously though Jill, I am really happy for you to start a new phase in your relationship with Harvey. The fun has just begun.

Congratulations to both of you! That's wonderful and I'm sure during the next few days something else will come out as well. My Sunny says a few words, I don't think he's going to have a big vocabulary, of course he's only 11 months old... so you never know. Often his speech sounds like he's got pebbles in his mouth. However, every once in a while he'll shout HELLO so clearly that it makes me jump! He knows I'll come running when he does that {Love-000200BF} with LOTS of praise! In any case, the body language is always crystal clear, right?? :laugh:

Well Jill, he's finally said something, now wait until he starts talking all the time and you'll be wishing he'd just be quiet. Then again, remember how brilliant they are watch what you say around them. When I clean cages (it doesn't matter whose cage, Dixie wants to help me by sitting on my back or chasing the paper towel) and I tell her "you can't help me." We already know she can say help in the proper context, but now she's put "me" with it and when it's bedtime and she'll cling to the front of the cage and say "help me" "help me."

So great to hear that Harvey is not longer "mute" - now the real fun begins!

Robin