NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kopi is home

katana600

When I got a call saying they would arrive in Atlanta at one the real excitement has officially begun. When his Papa Tom handed him to me he wasn't interested. But when we put him in his travel cage, he was happy to step up and let me hold him. He was jubilant on the way home in the car, hanging upside down and doing all sorts of acrobatics. When I spoke to him he stopped and watched me intently. Now that he is home he is quietly watching. He is eating his banana and treats and he is talking!!! So, it won't be long until he is settled in enough to take his picture. I am not going to move too fast or bother him, but he is wonderful, magnificent and perfect.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow that is so great! You've caught me on the hop - I thought he was coming home tomorrow!! All the better though that he is already there! His journey home sounds very familiar to me - that was Alfie to a t! Swinging upside down but in a relaxed kind of a way!

It sounds like he is home Dee, I'm so happy for you. x

It has been a long hard road to get to this day, but it is all the more sweet. He is nearly ten months old and I was a little worried at how long he would take to warm up. He is eating, playing, preening, napping. I don't think I will be able to get any sleep tonight. It doesn't seem real. I heard him clearly say "I can talk". He has been here less than four hours and he has settled down faster than I can.

that is so exciting. Nice to know he can talk and he says so himself. I honestly think they know our thoughts in some way and you can bond over the time we aren't with them. I think that is why he is settling down so fast. He knows your his family. Woot for you.

Congrats on bringing Kopi home, his forever home and that is wonderful he has started settling in, I am so proud of you Dee for giving this boy a home with someone with a huge heart, he just doesn't know how lucky he really is.

Looking forward to pictures when you get the chance.

He is wonderful. He talks in a really deep voice, he got really excited when I asked him about Kahlua, the dog he had, and it sounded like he called her name. He is settling in and still a little quiet, but he let me hold him again, I didn't overdo it, giving him a chance to make his own choices. He was happy to see his familiar foods this morning. We give him a little piece of a banana every time we walk past him and he is accepting all of us.

He just flew right out of his cage when I had it open so he could see me opening some new toys from a little bit of a distance. He moves really fast. He does let me come get him and steps up willingly but he is leaning toward the cage the whole time, so I give him the chance to go where he feels safe. It might be the forum issues that wouldn't let me post a photo in the full reply page, but I was able to update my image with Kopi's picture. Thanks everyone for your best wishes and confidence in our care. All I know is that all my concerns are gone about whether I could love him as much as his brother without starting out getting to know him from the start. He makes our whole family delight with his vocalizations and antics already and we are just getting acquainted. He just fills me with pure joy. One day with him is worth anything it takes to share his life.

Kopi is still most comfortable in the travel cage, it is about 2X2X2 feet. He shreds wood like nobody's business. I went back to buy him a truckload today so he won't have any fear of running out. He is eating great, I have mixed pellets of several brands, added the Harrison's today and he loved it. He eats everything I offer him, all sorts of veggies, beans, grapes, nurtriberries. Bananas are his favorite. He is going to fit in just fine here. He has only had one bad moment and that was when I offered him a stainless steel bell. He went ballistic with trying to get away and complained loudly. As soon as I removed the bell, he calmed down. Other than that he has accepted every toy and offering. I am over the moon. Hard to pay attention to kids home on spring break, but managing to enjoy them too.

Thats great to hear Dee that he is eating anything you offer as it will be easy for him to get what he needs nutritionally, wish they all were that easy.

Its only been a few days, I am sure he will soon be able to go into his bigger cage but if he feels more comfortable in the travel cage then so be it.

Greys can be so pecular about what they will accept or not, you would think he would go for a bell as most will but he needs some time to come to accept it as something that won't attack and kill him so keep it near enough that he isn't scared of it but where he can see it and soon he will accept it too.

I can see you are on cloud nine and enjoying every minute of it, I am so happy for you Dee.

We are letting Kopi lead the way and he seems relaxed and while he is a little wary, he is getting to know all of us. Today I put the travel cage on the floor and his mid-size cage beside it. I offered him a step up and he came right out and went to the new cage all by himself and has been playing in and on it the rest of the afternoon. Three times now, when I have offered him a step up, he came to me, flapped his wings and then I pulled my hand close so he could support his head on my chest and he has been letting me give him head rubs. I thought it would take a couple of weeks to get to this point, but he not only tolerates it for a little longer each time, he is closing his eyes and enjoying it. It is just awesome. Both Ann and I were prepared for some bumps in the transition but it looks like he is going to embrace his new home with minimal stress. I can't even express how happy this weekend has been for me. Thanks for all your support and encouragement. Two months ago I thought I could be content to walk away knowing I gave it my best. One phone call, hearing him call out was all it took to set things in motion to bring him home and take what comes. All my concerns have been tossed to the wind. We are really blessed to have this second chance and every day seems like Christmas, even better. He is just the best.