NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grumbling & Body Language

JulieinVA

Well we have been doing much better with the biting except for this morning ~ he is already quite territorial in the cage again. Normally I can look at him and say "Be a good bird!", and he will stop acting so grumpy... then I can get him to step up without biting.

Away from the cage he is doing very well, and if I lift a towel or blanket over him, even a little bit over his back (without having to actually wrap him up in it), I can pet him on his head and body without any trouble. So sometimes we spend a little time doing that, and then we just hang out together around the house. I took today off to spend some extra time with both birds, since we are going out of town Sunday to Monday.

I'm curious as to what type body language you guys experience; I know when I approach the cage he sometimes will fluff neck feathers, bob his head, and make a knocking noise which means he is warning me not to bother him or else! Also, he constantly makes grumbling noises when out whenever I move around him, sort of like a grumpy old man. :)

Do you think that is from him not being used to me at this point, or do they all do that??

Julie

Josey will kind of make grumpy like sounds sometimes when I move her around and also they click their upper and lower beaks together that makes that knocking sound, so that may be normal. We will see what some of the others think.

Some greys are territorial about their cages, and I wouldn't force him out of it, leave the door open and let him come out on his own, and then maybe he will be a little more receptive of you.

The body language varies from bird to bird and you just have to observe yours and determine what he is saying to you from that. But the fluffing up usually indicates aggression, and pay attention to the eyes, if pinning be careful, a bite may be coming.

Guest Lidia

The grumbling sounds are sounds of contentment, as is the sound of beak grinding.

The feathers raising up on the back of his lower neck is a definite "back off" sign. Ignore this sign at your peril, a bite will follow if you push.

You have to hand it to our CAGs, they do give us fair warning!

Hi Julie,

It sounds like the two of you are learning each others body language.

It also sounds like he is familiar with Towels ;-)

One other body language movement you can add is a Grey flying at you with beak open and squawking ....prepare to be bit :pinch:

It does not sound like he is nearly that aggressive, nor mean spirited, He is just getting settled into his new home :-)

My goodness Dan, Im' not sure I want to experience the 'flying at you with beak open' movement! :lol:

As you said, I don't think he is an aggressive bird, just doesn't like to be bothered in the cage, and it has only been a few days at that. I'm glad to hear the grumbling sounds may be contentment... he is really a great bird, and I'm hoping with time he becomes more happy and content.

It will probably help when his feathers come back, too, as a matter of his confidence. I don't understand how, but all his primary flight and tail feathers are just a mess. Some are cut very short, some are missing, and some are long, in no sort of pattern. So he has to be very cautious moving around or else he falls to the floor very easily.

'Suffer the consequences' is right, Judy and Lidia - I suffered them this morning. :unsure: I have let him come out of the cage on his own, but whether in the cage or on top of it, he is still territorial about it. However, I try not to bother him when he is busy or seems grumpy, and if he doesn't put up a fight and steps up well then I bring him out. I think he needs the interaction as long as I can get him out without causing him stress.

Anyway, it's fun to learn his signals and personality -- sometimes if I feel let down by not being able to handle him much, I remind myself we have a good 50 years ahead of us (or at least ahead of him!). Plenty of time... :)

Julie

Hi JulieinVA -

Regarding the feathers...sounds like they were clipped at some point and are in various stages of molting. The long ones were likely previously clipped and have regrown, the cut ones are just that...still cut and waiting to molt out...the missing ones are probably cut ones that have now fallen out and will shortly be replaced with blood feathers that mature into full feathers...B) Be patient. You will learn to interpret each other and build a great relationship based on trust. It is a great adventure, and patience is key! B)

I suppose you're right dblhelix ~ I am just surprised at his tail only having about 3 feathers as well. And whoever clipped his wings did too much, too short. I will never have him clipped like that again, as he has fallen a few times already and I am so afraid he will end up breaking his breastbone...

We are trying to be very careful with him out of the cage, and I padded the bottom of the cage with a towel because he has even fallen in there a couple times. Poor thing...

Things are going so much better already! I was gone overnight from Sunday to Monday eve. - when I got home, I opened up his cage and he clucked three times and happily jumped up on my arm to come out! Ever since then, for some reason, he has been much more willing to come out and has even been a little bit snuggly in the evenings! Also, we have an agreement now where I figured out that he simply does not like hands coming at him in the cage. To get him out, I just open the door, he comes out and sits on top of the door, and then will readily step up. It is all a matter of making it his choice, and not forcing him. It is so exciting to make progress and be able to learn how to interact with him! And right now he is snuggles under my hair as I am writing this... I never would have thought he would do that a week ago, when I was bleeding all over a towel from a bite... :S Thanks for all your good advice!

Julie

Julie, I am so glad you have made progress, he just is a litte territorial about his cage and after he comes out he is more receptive to you. And you lucky thing, he is snuggling some now, that is good, most of ours don't care much for that except when a baby.

Thanks for updating us on this situation and keep up the good work.:)