NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

veg-tanned leather

dw310

Does anyone know if the veg-tanned leather used in bird toys is, in some way, specially prepared for birds?

I do leather working as a hobby. I have lots of veg-tanned scraps, and am wondering of they are OK to use in toys for Morgan.

Another way to ask this might be: has anyone ever bought leather from Tandy LeatherFactory to make your bird toys and, uh, is your bird OK? :silly:

I know the tanning process has all kinds of chemicals involved, and suspect that any other kind of tanning process is toxic to birds. I'm just not sure if there is a special veg-tanning process when the leather is knowingly going for bird toys.

I know. This is a bizarre question, and maybe no one knows the answer. But just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

It is a strange question but it deserves an answer and I cannot provide it for I do not know the procedures for tanning leather but surely some other members will and chime in with their answers, you got me curious about it now, thanks for asking this question, karma to you.

As far as being used for birds---any type of leather--real or simulated used for bird toys is not the same as what you're talking about. Actually, what's commonly used for birds is untreated rawhide.

There's 2 different treated veg tanned leather. One has a chrome chemical in it and the other is an oil based protectant in it with other products mixed in and the closest animal that it can be used on is for dog collars and cat collars. So, if it was me, I wouldn't touch it even though I might have an excess amount of it at home. There's no place that lists the product as bird safe.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/03/07 18:37