NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to do with Sterling? - sorry - long

rbpittman

We have a dilemma and are not sure what to do about it.

As you know we have Sterling our 12 1/2 year old U2 that we took in last July. My son, LP, is the primary caregiver and companion to Sterling and this is what we have wanted. Sterling and LP get along great, in fact, LP can do much more with Sterling than I ever thought could happen. He has taught him to lay in his arms like a baby, to lay out in his hands and hang his head down, to "freeze" when he say's "stick-em-up" with his wings spread out. Sterling takes his showers with LP daily. They eat breakfast together and then LP goes to school. LP spends as much time as he can with Sterling after school (every weekday except Monday) from 4-8 and almost all day on the weekends. Unfortunately, my 13 year old is growing up and his schedule is becoming more and more hectic than we had anticipated.

LP has decided against spring baseball because of responsibilities to Scouts and Band. He's involved with the middle school and high school (he's in 8th grade) concert bands. He's at a BSA national leadership training camp this weekend and will be gone again in two weeks for the follow up training. Last weekend we were in Myrtle Beach for Region Band. We've just gone through the rigors of registering for high school and due to his grades and test scores he's going to be taking all honors classes in the fall. He will also be marching for the band again and possibly looking at going to governor's school during his 10th grade year. The summer doesn't allow any additional time for LP. With summer camp coming up he was asked to be on staff at the local Boy Scout Camp (6 weeks) and then marching band practice will start in earnest. Not to mention the monthly camp outs with the Scouts and just being a boy. LP has expressed a concern about being able to handle these responsibilities and taking care of Sterling.

I do pick up the slack when LP is gone or busy with homework, but I have to limit what I do with Sterling as he becomes overly possessive of me - to the point of nipping LP if he comes near me and Sterling is on my chair or within a few feet of me. The other problem is that Sterling hates CAG's. We don't know why, but this was something that was evident from day one when we Sterling came home. Dixie has now regained her flight ability and yesterday brought all of this to the forefront. Dixie flew from my office into the living room where Sterling lives. Of course, his cage was an extreme curiosity for her. No one got hurt, or near each other for that matter, but opened my eyes a good bit.

My aunt (closer to my age than my dad's) has offered on numerous occasions to "take Sterling off our hands." She was angry with me when I didn't call her to tell her about Sterling immediately, and that I kept him for LP, but at the time I didn't know she was ready for another bird. She is well versed in the care of birds and the time it takes to care for them. I've never considered her offers serious until she said something to my dad, would I be doing Sterling a disservice if I "let him go live with her" while LP's schedule continues to get busier and busier? We have done everything in our power to make sure Sterling was happy and healthy. He went to the vet the same day he came home. He has beautiful full feathers and LP preens him daily - a must it seems. My aunt has promised to give Sterling the same care and love, and I know he would actually get more out of cage time (only 6 hours here daily) and more attention than what LP can give him. I hate the idea that we've taken him in only to re-home.

What to do?

Robin

I think you're luckier than most. Normally, finding another home for a bird is difficult because the person has no idea about the adopter and it's very hard to find out.

You aunt has experience with birds so she realizes that the TOO is an older bird with established habits. Many people wanna adopt a bird with no habits which is vertually impossible so many times that bird is soon shuffled off to a new abode.

As far a your TOO and grey liking each other, It's normal for 2 birds to like or dislike or show no interest in each other. Evn the same species may intensely dislike each other.

I would say to take advantage of your aunt's offer. You'll be happy, the TOO will be happy and your son can get into all the things that boys do.

What does LP think of his great aunt taking care of Sterling? If LP agrees than I would say what a perfect and wonderful solution for everyone. The plus being that LP will get to see Sterling all he wants and perhaps when his life is less busy he can reclaim his friend in the distant future.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/03/07 04:01

I agree with the others too Robin and Dave said it best, your aunt can provide a good home for Stering since she is well qualified and who knows maybe she will allow LP to have him back when he gets out of school, gets a job and settles down to a more normal life if that is what he still wants. Sounds like a perfect solution to me and LP can still be in Sterling's life especially if he ever wants him back.

LP is very reluctant to let Sterling go, but he also knows that he is strapped for time to do the things he wants to do and to take care of Sterling. He knows that the best thing for him and Sterling is to let Sterling go and has agreed to do so. I think he's afraid of feeling like a failure if he does and that he's done Sterling an injustice by keeping him and now rehoming him.

Dave, yes we are very lucky in the fact that my aunt wants Sterling. I don't know how we have been so lucky as to be in this situation. If my aunt didn't have the experience I wouldn't consider it.

Robin