NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm Painting Tomorrow!

JillyBeanz

The time has come to start decorating again! I live in a new build house so I have lovely smooth plastered walls that all they need is a nice new lick of paint!

Here lies my question! I will (obviously) move Harvey's cage into the living room and close the door whilst I am painting and will leave him in there for the night - but when I move his cage back he will be only a closed door away from the dining room (Harvey's cage is sited in the hall, just outside the dining room door).

How long do you think until I can open the dining room door? Just until the smell goes? I can't buy odourless paint as I have one of those Dulux paint pods - and they only take the paint for the machine (I love my birdie - but I also like the easier ways in life)!!!

What do you think?

Ah I have the same dilema, I am going to be using varnish in the birdy room in the next few weeks and am wondering the same things. I guess I will have to move the birds upstairs for 24 hrs and they will have to stay in their cages but how long after it's dry can I allow them back down here?

Thanks for the info chaps - I do have a good fan in the garage - great tip Dave. I'll also make sure the door stays shut Jay - and I'll put a blanket at the bottom, just to be on the safe side.

Actually - it's not really the answer I wanted - I really would have preferred "in the lifetime of African Grey ownership it is AGAINST THE LAW to decorate"! Shucks - I'll have to get the dust sheets out now! :laugh:

Have one other suggestion that was given to me since I'll be tackling the same job here soon - put plastic up over the doors in an overlapped fashion (otherside of the door frame) and this will help keep odors out. My hardwood floors are due for a new finish as soon as the weather starts cooperating and I can open windows. To keep the dust out of my office from the stripping when done a few years ago I put this plastic up to protect the computer equipment and found it a great haven to work and be away from the fumes while the varnish dried. Throw open those windows, put the fan in the window to exhaust the fumes and wait at least the 10 days to let Harvey back into his room!

P.S. - what color?

Robin