NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey dust and air purifiers

3greys2love

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever used the JWR bird air purifier that is advertised in Bird Talk magazine? Also, if anyone could recommend a really good purifier for me as I have 3 greys, 2 are in a small bedroom turned birdroom that I sometimes sleep in due to my hubbys snoring. The JWR unit "sounds" great, and the guy has one heck of a sales pitch but I don't know if his claims are true. Our 3rd grey is in our living room. Would I need a unit for each area? These things are so confusing to look at in the store! Thanks

The powder from my bird was on of the first things I noticed. I joked that it looked as though my livingroom was lightly coated in cocaine!!!

Anyway, I went out and got a Honeywell air purifier which has both a filter on the outside, as well as two hepa-filters on the inside. All three filters can be removed and washed. I no longer have powder anywhere in my house, and the unit is quite quiet, so I forget its even on except for when it turns and blows fresh air at me! I'm really happy with it.

I would suggest that you would need one for each room. I keep mine fairly close to the cage, blowing away from my bird. I'm amazed at the amount of powder that I get out of the filter when I clean them each week. There is no way it could do the whole house, especially if you have three in your flock!

I have a cheap solution that I use in my nursery - I use a 20" box fan with a 20x20 charcoal filter and furnace filter in front of it.

There's a post somewhere here that details it. I've done a second version with plastic channel to hold the filter elements.

The filters are cheap and readily available. With up to ten birds in the room at a time, I can attest to its effectiveness of both dust and odor control.

I have a cheap solution that I use in my nursery - I use a 20" box fan with a 20x20 charcoal filter and furnace filter in front of it.

Here's a link to an earlier post about it - http://www.greyforums.net/forums/health-room/154750-air-purifier-question.html#155844

I've done a second version with plastic channel to hold the filter elements. The filters are cheap and readily available. With up to ten birds in the room at a time, I can attest to its effectiveness of both dust and odor control.<br><br>Post edited by: Spinner, at: 2010/03/05 14:38