NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Yoshi is growing up! Waiting for words...

jessdecutie18

Yoshi will be 1 year old next month... no talking yet, or mimiking of sounds...

About 4 months ago Yoshi started her 'babbling' sounds that sound mostly like a gremlin... nothing that makes sense... and I thought OMG maybe she is learning to talk. Now nothing has changed though and she is making the same noises, always when we either are not in the room or we have loud music or the TV on (when she doesn't think we will notice her). So I don't know what to think :P

Of course we love our little Yoshi, but we definatly would like her to be able to talk. She does her calls to us and all her cute birdy whistles but nothing else yet :P

But talking about her almost being one... it makes me so excited... the bond we have formed since she was 4 months old is great :) We have had many fun times and she is really a part of the family now. Mom calls and asks how my husband is, then how Yoshi is doing... just like a kid from the family :P Yoshi is more independent now, but still has her nightly cuddle-bug times. She is a joy to have, even when what she does still confuses me and then I get on here to figure it out! I like that I can find all my posts here, Yoshi's entire life with us is told in this forum :)

Alex was almost 2 before he said anything. He did do a few sounds. But mostly just natural chrips and whistles. I totally know how you feel wanting her to talk. Just enjoy her as she is and when she is ready she will talk. Then there will be no stopping her. ;)

Jess - as Julie mentions, Harvey is a mute!!!

Harvey is 15 months and other than a mumble of "hello" says nothing! He is the best mimic ever - but isn't forthcoming with the chat! He's doing blackbird song, microwave, oven, telephone etc - but won't talk!

Well, I'm sure he finds it hard to fit in a word anyway! If he doesn't talk - he doesn't talk - something that I'll just accept ;)

Dayo did the same as Yoshi and I did not think he was going to speak human. Then a little after 1 year old, came one word, then a few months and another, then a few more months and another, then months and phrases, now he won't shut up!!! :-P

I love Yoshi and all that you have shared and know that you love her unconditionally, just as the rest of us love our Greys. :-)

Jess.. I am in a similar situation.. Chikki will be 1 year old by March 31st.. he has been making different types of sounds for some months now, but no proper words yet.. a couple of days back, my bro claimed that he said a vague HELLO when he was receiving a phone call, but i havent heard him much..

but he does mimic the beep noises on the microwave, heater and all that.. and i have trained him on many tricks which he does to perfection.. so, i am just waiting for the next logical step.. i really would love to see him talk, but that doesnt mean i would love him any less if he chooses not to.. but it would be fun to see him talk :)..

i am quite anxious as well.. just like you.. fingers crossed :)

Our greys have minds of their own. Some days Ana Grey says nothing. Some days she talks up a storm before I get up in the morning and some days she talks away. Just relax and it will come. Even if Ana Grey isn't talking I know she understands what I am saying and that is much more important, that they understand us, don't you think?

Thanks everyone for the comments and reassurance... it's good to know others have been or are in a similar situation... that Yoshi isn't the only one who hasn't said a real word at her age and that she still has a lot of hope in the future for speech :P

She is a yougin still really... and we love her sooo much.

It is interesting how our birds are similar but so unique and individual. I don't have the bird experience but watching my two daughters taught me a lot. One had a huge vocabulary at one year of age, but didn't walk until she was sixteen months. The other sat up, crawled and walked within a week of each other at eight months but didn't talk until much later. Each of our greys are so special and can communicate without words and when they see that speaking gets you to sit up and take notice, they will really have your heart in their little talon.