NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Arm and Hammer Essentials Cat litter for birds?

CBDTherapyDogs

For those with cats - have you ever used the Arm and Hammer Essentials cat litter? More specifically, have you used it as litter for the birds? I really like the smell of this litter and would like to use it in the bottoms of my bird cages. It's made from corn cob litter and scented Arm and Hammer... but its the scent that makes me wonder.... is this really a good idea???

Is this an okay product to use in the bottoms of their cages???

Jenn

I would not recommend using it for your bird, it is safer to avoid anything scented and if it is a clay based litter your bird may want to ingest some making it doubly unsafe. You can use the dried ground corn cob litter, pine shavings or Dried ground Walnut shell litter. Just make certain you remove any old food so it is not spoiling or molding at the bottom of the cage. If your bird like to forage on the cage bottom you can give him or her a box or container of clean sand to dig in after watching you hide some treats or toys in the sand.

I wouldn't recommend using any type of litter or shavings in any bird cage, especially if your bird has a way to get to that area. First off, all of those products can mask possible problems in a bird's fecal droppings. Second, the odor can be toxic to a bird. Third, it's very easy for any of that material to turn to a fine dust which can rise when a bird starts flapping around and it can get into nasal passages. A bird who is flapping around can withstand it's own dander but having foreign matter in the air isn't a good idea.

Different birds have different calloused feet. Some are very soft and tender and others are much harder so I really wouldn't recommend putting sand in a cage to forage with. Sand will also hold feces and a bird will eventually pick off that sand from the feet. Greys are well known for keeping their feet extremely clean. The subject has been brought up countless times and the general and safest product to use is plain newspaper and the newspaper provides easy visual conditions of fecal matter.

I agree with Dave, I have read that newpaper is the only way to go. The newsprint also works as an anti-bacterial, which is an added benefit. I'm lucky, my cage fits 4 of the smalled community papers with just a bit of overlay when I open them at the seam. I just get annoyed with all the colour ads in the centre, so I remove that page as well. The coloured ink can be harmful.