NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

excessive biting and chewing

Kevin

Dorian, who is now almost 15 months old is having a serious change in behavior. I have waited to write hoping that his biting and chewing will diminsish. Well, it hasn't. He is fine for the first 10 minutes he is out of his cage, but then he just wants to chew me to pieces. He has put holes in jeans, shirts, sweat shirts and has punctured my skin numerous times. I put him back in his cage when he gets into his attack mode. I don't know what is going on. It just started out of the blue. I feel bad putting him in his cage, but even when I release him after about 20 min. he does the same behaviors all over again. Is this normal for a bird his age or is he just becoming aggressive? He is going to the vet next week for a wellness check, but I feel confident that he is in good physical condition. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Kevin

Hi Kevin, I too have to watch Ana Grey as she does love to air condition my clothing. One of the reasons she can't be on my shoulder as she loves to ventilate the back of my shirt!!!! I do see that she has lots of wooden toys around to chew on. That does seem to help.

This is normal for many 15 month old greys in regards behavior. Just wait until the "terrible Twos" start!

This is a critical time that you must be consistent. Also, negative re-enforcement makes it worse. Use a happy voice, keep a positive good attitude, watch his body language to avoid a bite, when you notice chewing on clothes start, gently push away with your forearm and ask for a step-up and praise him when he does so.

Others will have a lot to add as well. :-)

Kevin, Harvey is also 15 months old and at the minute is an absolute nightmare! He, over the last two weeks, now 50% of the time refuses to step up and goes into attack mode if I am trying to remove him from where he wants to be. I too put him in his cage - I just calmly go and get a spare perch from his cage, he steps onto that (reluctantly) and I guard him from flying away as I carry him to his cage. I ask him "what do you want to bite me for - this is what happens when you aren't nice" and put him in his cage. I walk into another room and leave him for 3 - 5 minutes and then return - ask him if he's going to be good, and let him out again.

I'm finding this is working - and when I let him out again he is sweetness and light!

Thanks for the heads up about the terrible twos Dan ~ I am so looking forward to it........:laugh:

Dixie is definitely starting into the terrible two's stage along with gaining her flight! She's decided that she likes to hang upside down and bite on my thumb - just hard enough for me to know she's there. I gently take the back of my left hand and push her beak back and she quickly lets go. She does try to bite at the back of my hand, but of course cannot get any skin in her beak. This has been going on for about a month now, so we're just in the beginning of this stage. When she rights herself on my hand, she's back to normal, giving kisses; it's like she's testing to see how much she can get by with. Typical two year old.

""""but then he just wants to chew me to pieces. He has put holes in jeans, shirts, sweat shirts and has punctured my skin numerous times."""""

You never mentioned it so I'll ask--May I ask where your bird is located when he gets to your different pieces of clothing?

If it's your shoulder, then you have a bird that should never be allowed on that area. You're vulnerable and so is your clothing and skin.

You may have what's called a *non-shoulder* bird and if he's a *non-shoulder* bird and is allowed there, your problem will only get worse. There is no changing the habits of a *non-shoulder* bird.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/03/04 01:37

Intelligent birds like Greys and Too's work on the what is in it for me principle so the discipline you use for a dog or does not work on a bird. I will agree with what Danmcq said about the brief time out. Stop immediately when they start and undesired behavior and return them to the cage for a BREIF time out you don't even have to say anything. He will understand he is loosing his opportunity to spend time with you time out of the cage. Return let him out and give him another chance to get it right, apply praise when he is gentle return to cage when he is not. Be consistent very consistent and you will see his behavior change for the better.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. Just to let Dave know... this happens when he is on my stomach when I'm sitting on the couch. When he is on my shoulder he is not-threatening and well behaved. It is only when I sit down that he crawls down and becomes a viracious maniac. I will continue to put him in his cage and try not to react to his painful grabs. I usually cannot get him off of me, as he clings ever so diligently and refuses to get off of me, so I carry him clinging to my stomach and tip him onto a perch in his cage. I will get a perch and do it that way and see if he'll get on it. I have never had to do this with him as he always steps up. However, when he is in this mood, my hand just becomes a target for agression. I question whether they are aware that hands are attached to the person they love??? It would appear not in this circumstance. It is comforting to know that this is not out of the ordinary behavior for Greys, but I'm almost afraid to ask about the terrible two's. What an ADVENTURE, but when he's a good guy there's no expressing the sweetness owning a Grey brings. Thanks again and I truly appreciate all your responses and suggestions. This is a GREAT place!!!

My only suggestion is to try to get his attention and tell him calmly, "no" and show him something he can chew on. Easier said than done, yes. But I could swear Issac knows what I mean when I say 'no' because he now looks at me and then does something else most of the times. However, he is still a baby at 15 weeks and I have a lot to learn about them getting older ;).

Ok, change the word from *shoulder* to *stomach*. If that's the area where he bites you, gets to your clothes, couch etc, then he doesn't belong on your stomach. Stop him before he gets there. You know his habits. You know where he starts his descent from. If it was your feet, socks, shoes then he has to be kept away from that area. There's just so many times that you can put a bird back in a cage. Obviously, it's not working well so try the *stop it before it starts* method.

Tobie also does this. Picks on my zippers buttons clothing when I am lying on the couch. He is allowed on the couch with me and when I'm watching TV or generally paying less attention to him is when the behavior ramps up. I keep a T-stand in the room by the couch and if her persists then I just put him on the T-stand. He doesn't fly well enough yet to know that he can just fly to the couch and he will stay there until I invite him down again. Sometimes I just get up and move away from him to another chair or the other end of the couch. That all seems to work at least temporarily - until the next time. I thought I had the behavior stopped, but now that he has started flying he seems to have gotten cocky and too self important and the behavior has started again.