NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flight feathers

chimaysmommy

Chimay now has one flight feather that has completely grown in, and one that is about 1/2 grown. I can't wait till he gets some more. He looks like he's got these big awkward thumbs sticking out of his wings each time he stretches. Lol!!

I think he knows that something's coming tho...when he's perched on his atom or playtop he's crouching a lot more now like he wants to take off but he knows that there is still something missing. Over the weekend he made two halfhearted flight attempts but managed to make it from his Atom to the couch pretty well.

My baby boy is growing up!! :)

Be careful what you wish for Cindy!! Only joking! You will love it when Chimay starts flying around. It is such a joy. He'll have you run ragged - you'll both be really fit, chasing around the house. Great news - can't wait for your first "flight report" ;)

hi i had my grey wing clip but now he jump of the gage he hurt his chest bone i dont know must i rather leave him in his gage but dont like it he want to be out dont know u any one can give me info on what to do

I had the same problem with Tobie at one time. He would fall and hurt his beak or cut his skin over his breast bone. I finally just stopped allowing him to be in any high place. He no longer could play on his play stand and I would only allow him to play on the back of the sofa where I didn't think he could hurt himself. He may have had less control than your bird because he was chewing feathers on his wing too. I would hope you wouldn't have to keep him in the cage but could play with him on safer lower areas or protect him from tile floors with rugs in areas where he is allowed out. Good luck. You might want to make make a post of your own (not attatched to this post) on this subject, if you don't get enough response.

Goerge....put newspaper over bath towels on the bottom of the cage. I do this every day for my grey and it is also super easy to clean up....wad up the newspaper and replace. I do that 3 times a day. I am a nut though...you should get away with 2 times. but the towel at the bottom is good.

In addition...who ever clipped him should have left him with some flight. Don;t take your grey to just any quack who has a happy clipping hand. That is why I avoid clipping altogether...sure I have to be more on top of the safety of my bird...but no one loves my bird more than me.

Please take care of your little bird, he needs you a lot. Certainly let him out. I hope you are up for the task of being a bird father. Watch him...make sure he is safe. Please.