NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Charlie's wing update

she

It is not good news. Tonight Charlie has picked at both his wings,I am so upset.I stopped his anti histamines a few days ago and all appeared OK.Both wings now have bare patches underneath.He actually squeals as he is plucking part grown feathers out. I am going to re start the medication and go back to the vet with him on Monday.I am at a loss.The only thing I have introduced to him thats new is a full spectrum light,he seems to like it.I am wondering if this is causing the problem ? I will not use it until I see the vet.Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.

Oh Sheila! I am so sorry to hear this, just when we thought he'd turned the corner. I wish I could help but I'm no wiser than you and you know him better. Hopefully the vet will know if it is the light causing the problem but it's strange he was ok while taking the meds. Don't lose heart and keep us informed eh?

Shelia I know this is a setback but please do not lose hope, poor Charlie and it could have something to do with the lighting but hopefully your vet will be able to advise you, I know you feel heartbroken but keep your chin up as all is not lost. Please let us know what you find out.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon Sheila.

I doubt the light has anything to do with the plucking.

What are the anti histamines for?

Looking forward to hearing what the vet has to say and praying charlie for charlie. I can not imagine what could be bothering him so much, that he would pull those growing pins out and scream in pain.

Thank you everyone. Chris yes the days are gettng longer her and I have thought of hormonal reasons and I will mention this to the vet. The funny thing is Charlie is looking so well. I will let you all know what the vet has to say.

Thanks judy. Dan the anti histamines were given by the vet as Charlie seems to be itchy and they did work. I may ask for. Skin scrape to tule out mites although I think this is very doubtful.

I am back from the vets and not sure if the news is good or bad. We have reached the conclusion that Charlie has an allergy. This was confirmed once I said the anti histamines helped the plucking but it returned 4-5 days after stopping them.We don't know what the allergy is yet but spent a good 45 Min's going through all possible reasons.Without much luck in pin pointing it.I could take Charlie to Edinburgh in Scotland where they can do allergy tests but Alan the vet thinks he is not bad enough to warrant that so for now advises keeping him on the medication and stopping all dairy and wheat products.We went through everything I use or in my case don't use in the house such as air fresheners fabric conditioner,even if I used perfume. I only use it if I am going out and never handle Charlie if I do.I am at a loss as to what could be causing it so any help finding the reason would be really appreciated.

Oh Boy Sheila.

I guess this is going to be a process of elimination to determine what the allergy is to.

The most common allergies of our avian friends are peanuts; wheat, corn and soy products; eggs; any artificial or chemical product like colorings, flavorings and preservatives.

But, they can also be allergic to strawberries, oranges and any other number of things that we would normally consider ‘safe’.

The food items are easiest to stop any suspect items. Remove them "All". Then slowly reintroduce them to see if you can determine which it is.

There are also "inhaled" items that can cause the allery which I know your VERY cautious of, but thought I would mention them.

Smoke, dander, perfumes, house deodorants, pollen, dust mold, candles (especially the ones with frangance), any kind of aerosol, soaps, laundry detergents, deodorants, paint, household cleaning products, hair products, litter or nest box material, latex, rubber, some metals, some topical antibiotics, resin, carbon monoxide...the list is endless.

Dan the vet and I spent ages going through just the list you gave and more.I don't use air fresheners or candles , have not changed deodorants. I never ware perfume and handle the birds,they haven't been out yet so pollen is UN likely.I have not changed his diet at all,infect I have just sent an e mail to Harrison's asking if they have made any changes.I also sent an e mail to Arcadia the makers of the bird lamp which is the only new thing in his environment to see if they have ever had any problems with it causing skin irritation.We went through Hormonal causes and ruled it out as the anti histamines would have had n0 effect on this.I am going to traul the Internet to see if I come up with anything.Looks like Charlie has the 7 year itch lol.Funny thing is he looks great,and as the plucking is under the wings it is hardly noticeable. I asked about skin scrapes but Alan said he does not have mites,which I knew anyway but worth asking. I am not using the lamp again as a precaution and as the weather is improving he can go in the aviary soon anyway.

Sheila, I am sorry to hear of Charlie's wing problems, poor little thing. Did the vet discuss giardia? Giardia is common in 75% of cockatiels, and whilst it isn't contagious to us or other animals it is transferable between bird species. One of the problems that giardia manifests is birds pulling feathers and making themselves scream. It certainly can be treated - just an idea (my cockatiel was tested for it when he had his chest infection and was positive to no detrimental effect).

Hope little Charlie better soon x

Has the vet ruled out folliculitis. The vet put Tobie on a prophylactic antibiotic in case folliculitis was the cause. I would think a histamine would reduce some of the inflamatory symptoms of folliculitis just like it reduces the inflamatory symptoms of an allergy. I am not a vet or a doctor, but it would be something to ask your doctor about.

Shelia this will be a long process of elimination but if it helps Charlie then it will be worth it, this is probably frustrating you more than it is Charlie but then that is the way it usually is.

I doubt it is the lamp but if you feel better not using it at this time I totally understand.

Thanks everyone. I managed to get Charlie in the aviary yesterday as the weather was lovely. He was made up. The vet did not mention folliculitus but said he had no infection. Both harrisons and Arcadia contacted me infact it was harrisons vet. They both assured me the light is totally safe and could not cause a problem. Harrisons have made no changes to the formular so back to square one. I am at a loss. The plucking is very mild and alan does not wish to do any more invasive tests unless it gets worse. Julie gave me some great tips last night about drying washing on radiators to increase humidity and that will be done. Thanks julie. She was a great comfort to me over the last few days. Also Caroline has been wonderful. I am hoping fresh air and change of scenery in the aviary will help. I am also trying aloe vera juice can't do any harm.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2010/03/03 13:14