NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

reddish feathers on legs of young grey?

aropple

Hello! I am new to greys -- just got my first one 12/24. The vet thinks it is female, and I am now awaiting a dna test. She is 8 months old. She seems very healthy -- talking a lot, eating veggies and pellets really well, playing, etc. Her feathers look great -- but I noticed that her leg feathers look sort of pink -- is that normal? A couple feathers are really marked, and the rest are tinged pink, noticable in daylight. I didn't notice it until this past weekend. I've seen red factor greys -- could that be it? Or is it a diet problem? Help and advice appreciated.

Amy

Hello Amy, yes your grey probably has some red factor and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your bird, its just a pigmentation thing. They may molt out when she goes thru her first one or they may not.

Why don't you share some pictures of her so we can see her?

Issac's little downy legs are all light grey. But I have seen plenty of photos of Greys that have a spec of red in different places. Most notably the King Grey's as the call them that have the little red behind the neck on the back. Even seen the rare all red CAG.<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/25 20:10

Thanks everyone! I thought I read somewhere that it could be malnutrition, and being new to the breed, I worry. Funny though I just got word that my "she" is a "He" and has fooled my vet and two other very knowledgable bird people. He still has pinking legs. Maybe he wants to be a girl (ha ha!) Will post pix soon!

Amy

Alex has a few feathers that have a red spot on them. They didn't show up until after his first molt. Sense I know he gets more than enough lycine (lack of this enzime is what can causes the red feathers)I figure it has to be a bit of the red factor. You can't see the spots unless your giving head scraches and mussing the feathers up. It is really very odd. It truely is a spot like he had a drop of red dye in the center of his grey feather.