NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do you offer cuttlebone

Xtreme575

When I first adopted Paco, I was told to not offer him cuttlebone/fish due to the increased mercury, and it accumulating in their liver. I can't say that he has never had it, he has had toys that have had cuttlebone in it, but I don't generally offer it.

I have a "Manu" stone in his cage, but he ignores it, which probably makes sense as it is a product of the "new world" rather than anything that would be found in Africa.

I'm just curious as to what the consensus is on the cuttlebone, and offering it to their Greys?

Kookie gets one too. find them scattered on the beach so I bring them home and soak them in water in order to make sure any salt is out. After several soaks and washes, he gets them, like once a month, but .

He shreds it into pcs in a couple of days

Never heard that its not good either. Would like to know more about murcury thing though

Rana

Harvey has one about once a month - not for it's nutritional value, as I know that greys don't need it for that - but just for the sheer joy he gets from turning one to dust!

My cockatiel of 17 years always had one too - and nothing adverse happened to him.

I have also bought toys with cuttlefish as part of the toy too - so I would have thought that the parrot pet industry would be using safe material (one would hope)!!

Don't take away the cuttlefish - it's my bit of peace and quiet :laugh:

Cuttlebone really does nothing for birds that are hookbills. Their main reason for biting it is simply to crush it just as they would when they're eating a chicken bone. Only the inside of the bone is where the nutrients are.

A better item to put in a cage is a medium sized mineral block. They'll constantly bite at it to make it a rough surface and then they'll use it to file and blunt their beaks. Not every grey will do this but many do.

Hookbills get their calcium nutrients from different foods and the rays of the sun.

Haha! Our poor British friends... It's been nice and sunny in western Canada, so much so, the Olympics are still struggling with their mountain events.

Jill, I'm not trying to ruin your quiet time, but I thought I had to post the question after hearing mercury concerns...

Dave, I understand your point, and appreciate your input, any thoughts on the mercury?

I really don't know anything about mercury in cuttlebone. I can only tell you that a couple of the posts in this thread describe to a tee why cuttlebone is useless to large parrots. Don't be fooled by store advertising. Just because they say it's the right thing to do, that doesn't make it true.

There's 2 types of parrots that eat it. Budgies, parrotlets. They're both tiny birds. They have the ability to hold a tiny piece and chew it up. Big parrots? Well, one bite and it splatters all over the place. Many opinion is that it's a waste of time but it's good to use if your bird considers it a comfort zone type of thing.

I never heard of washing off cuttlebone BUT on the other hand, rarely does a person go searching on beaches for pieces so washing is probably necessary. I can see Ranaz walking along the beach in search of the prize cuttlefish and the excitement that happens when one is found. It must be an absolute thrill. Good hunting.

Dave is spot on regarding cuttle bones, as he ALWAYS is.

When breeding finches(30) for years, they would go through a cuddle bone in just a week when with eggs and after laying them. They needed the extra calcium and minerals.

I have never had a "Parrot" that either ignored one completely or snapped it in pieces in one bite as Dave described.

I have offered mineral blocks as Dave also suggested. They will occasionally chip away at them, but mine, not too often.

They are also a much better choice for your Parrot as Dave described.

Harvey has a banana shaped mineral block which is studded with sunflower seeds - guess which bit remains in his cage! Yip - the mineral block - he chewed all the sunflower seeds out on the first day it was put in his cage! He's not bright enough to realise it's the yellow bit that's good for him!! If I put a cuttlefish in he destroys it! :)