NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What Precautions Do You Take?

Luvparrots

My biggest fear about my Ana Grey's safety is that she will fly away. So how do you prevent your grey from flying away? What precautions do you take? Here are some aids that I use and would love to hear other ideas to help me protect my sweet grey.

1. I try to make sure that all doors and windows are closed before I let my fids out of their cages.

This is easy for me because I live alone. But what about others who have husbands and children who go in and out of the house. What do you do? What precautions have you installed with your family?

2. When Ana Grey is out of her cage, we have a call, "Come Here" that she comes to for a treat. She always comes because she loves shelled peanuts. I am hoping that if she ever is outside this call will get her to come to me for her treat.

3. I have her fly downwards to me from the top of her hanging perches so that she will not be afraid to fly down to me from a high tree, hopefully.

So many people have said that their parrots can't fly downward which I don't understand. If someone can explain that to me I would be grateful.

4. We have lots of sounds that we practice together so that she will hopeful answer back to me if she is outside. She does it in the house without fail. Lots of "Woo Woos" and wolf whistles. She loves to do her whistling bomb and we practice all the time. I am hoping that if she is outside and afraid she will still whistle if not talk.

5. I have prepared posters for the street poles which I keep in my computer for quick and easy printing if the need ever arises.

6. I have light-weight hanging screens on my front door so that when someone goes in or out the screen would hopefully deter a flying grey.

019-3-1.jpg

7. Instead of a patio drape I have window drapes on my patio door. I can open half and leave half closed so that my dog can go in and out without leaving the drapes open. Ana Grey can't see that the door is cracked open for my pug. That way sunlight can also still beam down on my houseplants.

021-4-1.jpg

8. Ana Grey is also micro-chipped, just in case. If she is lost and taken to a vet, they would be able to find me.

So what do you do to protect your fids from leaving the nest??? I would love to hear your precautions!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2010/02/21 19:12

Great post Janet, hopefully we will get a lot of responses that may save some Greys from getting out into the wild.

Paco still isn't flying, so although I have considered these precautions, I haven't actually done anything yet. Since I live in a condo, and also live alone, I have good control of the doors, the two doors that lead to the balcony are my biggest concern. One is near his cage, the other is in my bedroom. Both have screens, but my condo gets hot in the summer, even with air conditioning, this is causing me some concern as the a/c unit that I am allowed to use must be vented out a door or window, to use it in the living room where Paco and I spend the majority of our time requires that door to be unsecured with it being cracked about 8" for the exhaust hose. Previously I had hung a curtain, but it will still leave the top of door, behind the rod exposed.

Quite honestly, I finish university this summer, I'm seriously considering a move to another place that I can buy with a parrot in mind, ideally with central air, and doored mudroom so there are two doors to get through...

This is a great post Janet. It's a nightmare of mine too that Alfie will some how manage to get out and fly off. Off course, we all know that clipping a birds wings is no guarantee that they will/can not fly off, but yes, there are more effective things we can do that really must be part of our everyday routine.

The biggest problem obviously is windows and doors. This is one of the least areas of concern for me. As some of you know, we live in a hotel, actually and apartment in a hotel. We only have one window that opens in our 3 rooms and that doesn't open more than 2-3 inches so is really only for ventilation. There are 8 exterior doors to the property, but we only use one for everyday use which (and this is a Godsend in my opinion) is a double door. The inner door is sprung so is always shut and it means I can go in and out of the exterior door without fear of Alfie trying to sneak through with me, which she does expertly! (see my latest post on Alfie's Maveric Manoeuvres http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-grey-lounge/169352-alfies-maveric-manoeuvres.html#180861 )

You can go through a door and be closing it behind you when she will appear through an 11cm gap!

Janet your idea of having your posters ready to go just in case that awful thing happens is a really good idea. I think I'll do that.

My other great fear is a fire, and how to get everyone out quickly and safely. I've decided that the cover that goes over Alfie's cage at night will be her impromptu travel arrangement in the event of fire - it's right there, would be easy to carry, and the dark would hopefully stop her from panicking.

We do have trouble with recall - she's a wilful madam, but she tends to fly to one of us if she gets spooked by something so hopfully there's a chance of that if she were out. We do work on the recall tho!!

The flying down thing is interesting, and we work on that for this very reason. She's got it cracked now, but I could see to begin with she was very hesitant to fly downward, I think it's because it's take great effort to stop in time before the floor - the momentumm picks up and she has to flap like crazy to land without a bump. She is such a great flier now though that it's not a problem for her.

As well as all these precautions, I also pray every night that my babies stay safe!!

x

"""""So many people have said that their parrots can't fly downward which I don't understand. If someone can explain that to me I would be grateful."""""

Flying downward is one of the most difficult things any wild bird can do and success only comes with practice and when a bird has a long distance to fly. All downward landing is accompanied by gliding quite a ways. In the wild some birds that are in high nests will die when learning when practicing how to fly downward. They don't have the coordination to accomplish that. That's why many land animals hang around the base of trees when nests are. Once the birds fall, the animals have a sure meal. This is especially true of medium to large sized birds such as eagles, owls, hawks and other predatory birds. In the wild, parrots aren't urged to fly from the nest. That's why in the wild, greys and other medium to large sized parrots are fed by the parents for up to a year.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/02/20 23:55

I have a metal grilled sliding door outside my glass sliding door. The metal grilled door is meant to prevent break in. I had netting installed on the grilled door to prevent my fids from escaping. And also I keep the curtain closed all the time. My windows are closed all the time too.

As for training, I do recall exercises regularly when we are outdoor. Flying down is not a problem for Cocoa because she knows how to fly down from upstairs of the house. I am not sure if it would be the same if she were to fly down from a tree. At the park she had flown from a higher perch down to a lower perch.

Never forget Issac. That is my current plan. I don't open a door without thinking about him. For now, he doesn't make a move I do not know about. Fortunately, I live alone and I am the only one who needs make sure of this. If I ever do live with someone...I am going to sit down and explain to them, that if my bird ever gets away...I am willing to go to jail over it. And they better not screw up! Lol. Yes...I laugh...but this is no joke. ;)

I imagine should my situation ever change...i would probably employ some doorway netting, beads, or something of the like. All I know is that I am never taking his flight away..and i ahve to be as responsible for that as humanly possible. Cheers<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/21 05:04

One of my birds getting free is my worst nightmare.You can never say never but I like to think I take every precaution possible. If my birds are out doors and windows are shut. The aviary has a double door entrance and a double skin of wire.I also have Charlie micro chipped so I can prove ownership and if some one found him the chip would lead them to me. I am also fortunate that both front and back entrances to my house have two doors,porch on the front and conservatory on the back. I am always amazed when people think clipping stops a bird flying. both my two are fully flighted but even if clipped I would take the same precautions.

Great topic Janet! We obviously instilled to the kids when Harvey arrived about windows and doors and are lucky that they are at an age where they are responsible for their own actions.

We don't use our front door and need to go through two doors from the house to get outside, so always ensure that one or the other is closed at all times.

The summer is hard though, watching for open windows etc, but we just make sure we are mindful of Harvey.

The flying down thing has been a mystery to me too - and thanks for the explanation Dave. Harvey flies upstairs no bother at all, but has NEVER flown down them! I have to go and retrieve him every time ;)

I live in a busy household of 4 and this was thought about long before Dixie started flying. I had decided from day 1 that I would never clip her wings again (she came to me clipped) and my husband and I took all precautions at that time we could think of to prevent potential escape routes. All windows have either shades or curtains and all have exterior screens. Living in the south we have about one month twice a year that we can actually open those windows to let in fresh air. All exterior doors have storm doors. I have installed a screen door on my office in place of the solid door. This allows me to close the screen and leave Dixie, Beau, Blue and Bean out of their cages. I've installed a sign at the front door that simply states "Birds out of cages - I must secure before answering the front door."

The precautions are simply those precautions and we all understand that it is our responsibility to make sure that we do the right thing before opening a door. I appreciate the suggestion of having pre-made posters and flyers on the computer for speed in recovery should the need arise.

Janet, thanks for the timely thread and reminding us that we need to check/inspect/or repair our improvements that are in place to protect our babies.

Robin

I find the most important thing -- and the most difficult -- is educating other family members to never leave a door open. Now that we have a puppy, this is even more imperative and challenging.

Shanti can, but rarely does (so far), fly. He's very territorial and tends to stick to the exterior of the cage or his boings at all times (unless I take him out in the backpack or he is on my hand). But he'll fly whenever he's startled, so the danger is there.

The puppy has a microchip, but Shanti doesn't. How do you microchip a bird? If anyone has a link or info, I'd appreciate it.

We are also very careful and have taught them to come to us and they can fly downwards no problem, they have mastered the hovering technique to bring themselves down. Saying all this though I know outside it would be totally different and if spooked they would just fly off without even thinking.I also know accidents can happen no matter what.

We had a scare last summer with the window and the balcony door open. My BF didn't check all the food doors on the cage and Rangi climbed out of one and flew to me in the kitchen. I did panic and rushed to close the window which scared him and he started to fly towards the balcony which was open. Lucky my BF was there and called Rangi and he went straight to him instead of out the door.

Ana Grey is microchipped and the procedure left no after effects on her. An assistant held her and the vet chipped her in the chest. Quick and simple. If Ana Grey is lost, I plan to contact all the vet offices in the area, including the adjoining state because I live right on the state line.

This is such a timely and appropriate post for Tobie and myself. I loved your suggestions and plan to put them into place myself since Tobie is now learning to fly. I even made my own video this morning to post on "Tobie takes flight" and I thought I'd post it here too. It deals with some of my home modifications to accomodate a flighted bird in my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oIFEaOzSg