NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pepper is wheezing

Brittany

Help!!!!!!!!!

OK so we got our baby back, and the vet said she seemed fine but she's now wheezing.

Is that normal????

She was exposed to cold weather.......could it be that shes a little congested now that shes in a warm house?

She doesnt seem to wheeze when she sleeps tho

Is this serious?<br><br>Post edited by: Brittany, at: 2010/02/20 01:45

For what it is worth when Precious had trouble breathing the vet told me to use a heat lamp on one end of the cage only so that she could move if it got too warm, to keep the room at 80F and to use a humidifier or take her into the bathroom with the shower running for ten minutes at a time several times a day. He also gave her Baytril injections, I don't remember how many days. I fed her plain yogurt to keep her intestinal flora healthy. I did have to hand feed her for some time. I would say at least call the emergency vet. Courage.

You finally found your bird. She was injured and the vet repaired the damage. Then you had her wings clipped and this all happened before you even got home. Obviously, your bird is still a little off kilter. Your bird has only been gone for 8 to 12 hrs. Your bird needs to rest, be left alone, not made to eat anything because food wasn't the problem in the first place ( especially something as heavy as peanut butter) nor will it make her any better if she's actually got a temporary problem which the vet will check in the morning. Let the vet decide the course of action if any is needed.

I'm with Dave on this one. Pepper was gone scard finally found taken to the vet, wings clipped. She has had a lot of stress very recently. I would say for tonight just let her sleep do her own thing leave her a lone. I know this is so hard to do after all of your stress. Call the vet in the morning and go from there. I'm sure everything is fine! You have your baby back everything else from here is just minor.

Like I tell my kids when they get really stressed out about something. Take a really deep breath in threw the nose out threw the mouth. Do this a few times if you need to. Also lots of chocolate! :)

Brittany, I'd follow Dave's advice to the letter and contact the vet as soon as possible. There were an awful lot of "big" happenings for Pepper over the past day, it's bound to take a bit of time to recover, just the stress alone would be a lot. A quiet area and lots of rest are probably in order.

I hope your not letting Pepper go high after just getting a wing clipping. It may take Pepper a bit to realize that flight is no longer an available tool, so you don't want a take-off that results in a fall. Paco still tries to take off every now and then, and he was clipped last summer! You don't want a chest or keel bone injury.

I sincerely hope all is good with Pepper!

Brit said she clipped her wings when she went to the vet in the lost thread.

I also think that she'll be OK by monday. If she's still wheezing tomorrow then it might be reason to be concerned. don't confuse wheezing with light grunting. she's probably kind of agitated and still scared.

If she's been flying too she will be worn out - remember, greys don't fly much in domestication in comparison with the big wide world, and therefore their breathing apparatus isn't nearly as strong as it should be. She's no doubt knackered too.

But remember - you may have had her wings clipped - but it won't stop her getting away. Clipped birds can still "fly" when spooked ;)

There's no wheezing today!!

And she just decided for the first time since she's been home that she wanted her seed food, on her own :)

The only thing now that worries me is that her tail is an odd shape, almost like she tucked it in? Im guessing she damaged it. Poor baby

You know..I feel terrible for getting her wings clipped already. I probably traumatized her more, and I didn't even think about it because I just didn't want her to fly away again

:(

I can tell she gets frustrated that she cant fly..but i am watching her and making sure shes not too high up so she doesnt hurt herself

Thats good news.

As Dave said, Pepper has been through a series of very traumatic events. The damages both emotional and physical that Pepper suffered while "Out in the wild" will take a while to completely go away.

When they are flying frantically to find a safe place and fleeing from every scary thing they encounter. They damage many body parts and they are also used in ways never previously used in their "Home" environment that they have perfectly mapped out in their minds and under non stressful situations.

It sounds like she is progressing in a similar manner to birds that have flown off and been found.

I am so happy you have her back, had her checked out and she is enjoying just being quite and resting in the safety of her home with her flock.

It will take a week or two for her to become what you would consider her completely normal self.

Yeah, I figured it would take a week or more for her to be "herself" again.

Poor poor baby, I can't imagine what she went through in the 25 hours she was missing...

But we are blessed to have her home, and we will take care of her and watch her to make sure she stays doing good.

Brittany wrote:

You know..I feel terrible for getting her wings clipped already.

Don't beat yourself up over that instantaneous decision.

When my conure Jake flew off the second time. I dealt with the same emotional and mental roller coaster thoughts as you for at least 2 weeks. The first mental reaction was "I'm clipping" my birds to ensure this NEVER happens again. It is a very painful and heart breaking event that any bird lover would want to stop from happening again.

I posted several of my emotional struggles of the clipping issue here on the forum and received, as always, very good and comforting advice from all the caring family here.

So chin up, smile on your face and know that you did not permanently disable her. Those flights will grow back in. :-)

The final determining factor for me deciding not to clip. Was the fact that if clipped and escaped. They are in great danger and can not fly down to you if they do see you. Also, they can not escape danger such as a cat in a tree, a dog on the ground or a hawk in pursuit.

All this emotional trauma for you and Pepper will subside and life will return to normal. As the say "Time heals all wounds". :-)

Also, we all grow through experience and lessons learned...

I apologize if I were to offend you but I have to say this.

You shouldn't have clipped her wings just because she flew away. It wasn't her fault that she flew away. She shouldn't be punished.

You could have taken more precautionary steps to ensure her safety instead of clipping her wings.

This is my opinion.:)

Also I absolutely HATE clipping Peppers wings.

It hasnt been done in a long time, thus why she flew away.

I feel like I take a big part of her away from her when I do it. It was in the heat of the moment, I had a lot of emotions going on and shouldve thought it out better.

Completely understand Brittany.

If you didn't do so, please read my post to you just before Dhorje's. ;-)

You do not need to justify your decisions of what you thoght best in the heat of the moment to anyone.

I would imagine the vet also prompted you to clip those wings as well, as most still promote these days. :-)

It could take up to a year and a half or 2 for all the primaries to molt out. Each bird is different and it also depends on how old and what type of shock those primaries received during that escape. There are several variables that determine this.

Damaged feathers will molt out and be replaced very rapidly.

Example: When my conure flew off fully flighted the 2nd time. Half the tail feathers were damaged or missing, a few primaries were damaged or missing and several small "Body covering feathers on his breast wear missing. They all molted out and regrew in a month and a half.