NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Uncertain about Greys

RobertsKitty

This is one woman who knows what she wants and goes after it, and she knows the risks and benefits of having a bird, you have to give her credit for researching and leaving no stone unturned in her quest to have a grey real soon.

Rodney, you are right, there is no such thing as a perfect parrot and certainly not a perfect husband, but you sound like a man with a good head on his shoulders, so my hat is off to you, if I wore a hat that is, but you get the point.:laugh:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heres some questions that go out to all flighted bird owners:

Is your bird trained to fly to you?

How do you handle people entering and exiting the house?

Does the bird fly around often or does it mainly stay perched?

Does it land on perches like the tops of doors or places you can't reach and how do you get it down. How do you keep it from flying into the kitchen or other potentially dangerous places?

Is your bird more independent or does it still like to be carried around and cuddled?

I think most of the members who use a harness prefer the aviator harness, it is easier to put on I think and it is somewhat safer in that it is highly unlikely for them to get out of it in flight. It also comes with a DVD that explains how to use it and how to get it on the bird.

You would be surprised how much height a bird can reach sometimes, even with a full clip, shy of the first one or two primaries. This is why I ask that you please speak to your bird's AV. Also, speaking from experience, it is amazing how well a bird can fly with a total clip. Of course, much of this is purely dependent upon the individual bird. However, I thank my lucky stars I was able to recover my clipped quaker after his jaunt in the big wild yonder. Seeing your "clipped" bird flying over the tops of trees is a sickening sight, I assure you! My IRN is completely flighted with two primaries not clipped. My p let is fully clipped but you would never no this the way he flies. My U2 drops like a brick with only three flights clipped. She would be an ideal bird to have a strim style of clip. I can't say anything regarding the flight capablities of my CAG. He is fully flighted, but makes no effort to flap his wing. He has a mangled wing, a result of cruelty in his past. All this being considered, I do maintain clipped wings, in some fashion and dependent on the individual.

Yeah...when we first got Piper, his wings were freshly clipped, and he only had enough power to make a safe decent from his play-pin to the floor. Now, two and a half years later, with freshly clipped wings, he can make a B-Line diagonally across the living room, even gaining a bit of altitude to the top branch of his Java Tree. He's gained a lot of power in his little wings...it's all the birdie aerobics he's been doing! :woohoo:

Rodney Piper-485b3ab4d6598fa47263ee59f3f1c965.jpg

Piper-485b3ab4d6598fa47263ee59f3f1c965.jpg

True, Rodney, just because the wings are clipped, don't assume they cannot fly, because as you prove they can. This should serve as a reminder for us all that clipped wings is no guarantee of them not being able to fly off, if they so desire.:ohmy:

BTW, Rodney, cute little guy there, looks like a little sweetheart.:)

:blink: SWEETHEART?!?!? I guess looks can be decieving. LOL! Well, now that his breeding season is overwith for the year, He's back to being my little buddy. but during..YEAKS! HE WAS A LITTLE GREEN CHICKEN-DEMON! And I got the scars to prove it. :)

Rodney

I know my Senegal, she flies like a total brick, in fact I'm fairly sure she wasn't fledged as she doesn't know she can fly, I completely trust taking her most anywhere with a clip. My Sun Conure, now she hasn't had a wing clip in a month, and she can fly across the room and land on me, so I won't take her places unless the wing clip is say within a week or so. Both my CAGs could fly if they tried, even though they're clipped. I think that having a fully flighted bird is wonderful, however I'm not willing to take the risk. Just because they're bonded to you and will come to you when called doesn't mean you can't be outside, and have them get spooked by an object that is completely out of your control and have them take off, there is no "fight or flight" respoonse with birds, just flight. In my honest opinion I feel that giving them a show clip or not clipping them for the sake that you want to keep them in a "natural" state or whatnot is selfish, as you're not keeping them in a natural environment, they're in a cage with toys and such that aren't in the wild. I don't think harnesses are a bad idea, however I've seen birds chew their way out, or just plain get out of them. I'm over protective I suppose!