Uncertain about Greys

RobertsKitty

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally won't paint my nails with any of the birds up. They all go in their rooms for the night and I open up all the windows before I do so, as honestly the fumes gag me, so they can't be terribly good for the bird!

I'm not a fan of harness if your bird is clipped. Granted I know my Sun can still get a good amount of distance without wings, but she can't glide. I think once your bird is trained and comfortable around you, her randomly flying off sholdn't be as big of an issue, unless of course she got spooked or something. Heck just a couple weeks ago I took my birds to one of our outdoor bird club meetings. My Senegal and my Sun Conure were both very well behaved, neither tried to fly off or anything like that, and close to a dozen people held them! I think once you get to know your bird thats where the learning begins, every situation will be different!

Ok question regarding clipping. I don't want to go into if it is good or not. My question is I have seen several different cuts and I am not sure what is right.

One involves cutting only an inch or so off the first 4 primaries. I like this idea because it seems the most natural without actually being fully flighted.

Another involves cutting the first 4 primaries as shown in this picture cutfeath.gif

The reasons behind cutting like this are:

The cut edge isn't exposed to wear and doesn't get splintered and frayed. Since flight feathers are so important, the bird is concerned about the frayed end and will constantly try to smooth and groom it. The cut end is cushioned and doesn't dig into the bird's flank and irritate either the body or the mind.

With a longer length of flight shaft, the bird is brought up short when he reaches the end of a long, sweeping grooming stroke. He is left with a feeling of incompleteness. He also can't "zip" up the half feather properly. This cut eliminates the problem.

An additional benefit, albeit an unimportant one, is the clip reveals the lovely scallops of the upperwing coverts. The scalloped edge presents a very neat and pleasant appearance. No frayed, splintered shaft is showing - no frazzled, ragged feather barbules are showing. It is a very attractive clip.

Any ideas on which is in the better interest of the bird?<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/08/08 08:30

Guest briansmum

im not sure about dryer sheets, but laundry detergents are fine as they are contained in the machine. just dont let your bird eat them! :laugh:

Wing cliping is up to you, your home, ect... some birds dont stay as tame if left to fly some do just fine and stay very tame. Keep in mind just cause you clip don't mean they cant fly away so you would still need a harness to go outside.

My Grey is 8 years old and wont have a thing to do with a harness so I am saving up for an adventure pack for my grey.

Topaz is my baby blue quaker and she is learning to wear a harness and I love the idea of taking her places when its not 100 degrees outside. lol

Just curious, RobertsKitty, are you engaged to be married? If so, how does your soon-to-be spouse feel about being a bird owner? One of the things my wife and I learned (the hard way) is that you both need to love the bird, if not, you can say hello to a lot of problems, and not just for the bird, but between you and your spouse. Also, if a bird becomes strongly attached to you, and is extremely aggressive to the spouse…this can cause stress on a marriage.

I can honestly say that I was not a “Bird Lover” until yesterday. My wife bought a Quaker Parrot (Named: Piper). Piper became very bonded with my wife…only because I never spent any time with him, and after he bit me the first time, I automatically thought he hated me. It got to the point that if Piper was out of his cage, I couldn’t sit on the same couch with my wife (Also a hormonal issue during breeding season), because he would get upset and run at me for the attack. Last night in a three hour training period, Piper and I made great strides toward restoring our friendship, and that included me getting bit twice and gritting my teeth and baring it, not showing him any reaction to his bites. I know the biting is not over yet, considering last night was just the first night of training, but it was solid progress.

If you’re soon-to-be spouse is not willing to take the time to work with the bird as well, this can take away from your marriage. Make sure you’re spouse understands what they’ll really be getting into with YOU getting a bird. If they’re not as into it as you are, bad things can happen. You do not want to get into a situation where you have to choose your spouse or the bird after you get your bird. If you give up the bird, you’ll resent your spouse, and giving up the spouse, would mean you didn’t love your spouse like you said you did before God and all those witnesses…see my point? There is no such thing as “TRYING” to make things work with a bird…in the famous words of Yoda, “Try not. Do or do not.”

Rodney

Now, committed to being a Bird Lover!

Oh I agree 100% My husband brought home this cat that I can not stand. We fight about that dang cat all the time. I want it kept in the back room so it cant get to my birds. He thinks its "cruel" to leave it back there.

This room is the room my husband stay in 95% of the time cause he smokes and I wont let him smoke in the rest of the house. I see nothing cruel about that cat staying back there but he does and we fight about it all the time.

I see years of fighting over this cat ahead of us.

I was kinda waiting for this. Robert is just as much of an animal freak as I am. He is looking forward to it just as much as I am. He is also the 'daddy' to my guinea pigs and he loves to spoil them rotten. He is just as excited about this as I am. He is just busy dealing with budget and such.

Well my hubby is not crazy over my birds like I am, but he puts up with them because he knows I would choose them over him, just kidding, I think. He seems to like Josey more now as she will at least talk to him and he enjoys that, she won't step up for him but she will take cheese from him.

But you bring up some good points there, Rodney, but I think Kitty has taken that into account, she has taken everything else into consideration.

I see this is your first post, why don't you introduce yourself on the welcome page and tell us somethings about yourself, what kind of bird, birds you have and so forth. We are glad you joined our family and look forward to hearing more from you.

Yeah. He went with me when I saw that Grey at the pet store. He loved it just as much as I did. We both would have loved to take that particular bird home with us.

Talked to a breeder today. She seems to know exactly what she is doing so we will probably buy from her...

Anyway, off to write and read. Will post more later...

Hi RobertsKitty,

Soap, Lotion, detergents, bubble bath all can be toxic if ingested, just like to you and me. Of course since the birds are so small a much smaller amount can be bad for them.

Candles, some matches, incense, burning wood etc all produce smoke and fumes. It is the smoke and anything with fumes (like detergents, bleach, floor cleaners) that smell really strongly are often clues that its probbably bad for the birds. If you can smell a chemical etc then its in the air and can affect the birds sensitive cardiovascular system.

It's good to hear that Robert is as much into this as you are, just keep in mind that a parrot is unlike any other pet you ever owned, because of its constant emotional need for you or Robert. If Robert spends more time with the Grey then you do, be prepared for your parrot to choose him over you...this can be a heart-breaking experience. The bird will make that choice, not you…and there are no breed specifics on that issue…all parrots are like that to some degree. For example, I can handle both of our parrots, but not in near the same way as Nikki (my wife). The ways that she plays with Piper, I may never be able to take part in, I just have to accept that and go on. And, as some people may find, parrots, can become Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in a split second. They may change who they’re bonded to just as fast. I’m not trying to talk you out of a bird, I just want to give you the whole clear picture of owning a parrot. RobertsKitty, Have you been bit by a CAG or a TAG? While visiting our possible future birds, last night, my wife and I both got bit by a CAG (we handled it very well). But to give you an image of what it felt like…put your finger in a workbench-vice and tighten it down until it brings tears to your eyes. As I said before, it’s not if you get bit, it’s when you get bit, will you be able to keep tough and push on with the care level required for your parrot? Unlike guinea pigs, this pet will out live you…it’s a life long commitment, much like the marriage to your future husband. Can you make a life long commitment to never re-home your future Gray? Please consider everything that’s been said in this string before you answer that question. I hope you do say yes…like I said before, I’m not trying to talk you out of getting a parrot, I just want to make sure (for the birds sake), you understand the level of commitment involved. There is no such thing as a perfect parrot, just like there is no such thing as a perfect husband…wait…I can’t believe I just put that in writing :pinch: . Well, anyway, I think you get my point.

Rodney B)

Trust me I have been bit by a horse and that I can promise you is worse than a bird. I do know that the bird might bond with him and I have accepted that. I don't think it will be as big of a problem because I am always more engaging with my animals than he is but if it does bond with him than thats how it goes.

Anyway, thank you for your concern but we both understand the commitment and everything else.