NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Uncertain about Greys

RobertsKitty

My Greys both dance in different ways its' very cute. As for taking your bird to petsmart etc I have a friend that works there and they recently had to euthanize all of their birds due to PBFD. They come from Kaytee breeders program which is basically a bird mill so to speak. I won't take my birds to pet store for this reason.

And to be honest I've noticed that when I did take my birds to events like this, it's very hard to convince people to go get a rehomed bird when you have a nice sweet hand tamed baby bird. Then everyone else wants to go out and get a bird just like yours, and then when the terrible twos come around, and its summer time aka breeding season I've noticed thats when they get dumped! My friend who works at a private pet store, not like petsmart etc has had 17 birds just since April come in her doors to be brought back due to hormones, 6 of them were CAGs. I know I'm going on a bit of a tangent here, something just struck a chord I suppose. I will take Red who has a bald spot on her chest from plucking herself from boredom, and I show her to people NOT to encourage people to get birds, NOT to encourage them to get rehomes, but to show them just how sensitive these creatures are, and how someone actions or lack thereof can literally do permanent physical and emotional damage.

Naturally you can do what you want, I suppose I just have a perspective of the opposite end of the spectrum.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You make some very fine points there, Lovie, I hadn't thought of that but I should have. I belong to a bird club that meets once a month, and we are not supposed to bring our birds to meetings for just such a reason. There is too much disease going around and all it takes is to be exposed to others with it and it is all over.

Hmm. The Petsmart I used to work at we had birds come in alot with their owners and never had any problems. The disease going around right now might not be as bad in two years so we will see.

Regarding the other I see your stand point but at the same time I do feel differently than you regarding this. I think in this area we shall have to agree to disagree so to speak.

Yeah I belong to a bird club too, and I take my birds with me there, as I trust the people that attend the meetings. And if they all had something airborne, it can get into clothes and hair etc, and we would take it home to the birds anyway. I think that birds should be exposed as just like kids you keep them locked up and their body will go into shock when exposed to anything bad, I have just heard horror stories about the latest stuff with Petsmart and what not.

Yeah we can agree to disagree, I've just personally seen more bad come from others taking birds out than good, call me a pessimist:woohoo: I think it takes a certain person to be a parrot owner, not just Greys but in general, I just think some people who see birds fall in love and don't realize what they're getting themselves into, until its much too late. I'm not implying that about anyone on here, my friend however loves my birds plays with them, and wants one too, but doesn't want to have to handle it as much as I do mine. She wants it just to talk and look pretty, and it's those people that really bother me, IMO parrots are companions, not for posterity.

Dang all this talk about you getting one, I just want you to get one already LOL:laugh:

Trust me I know the stories. I worked there after all. So I got to see them. Luckily in the store I worked at its only the small and furries that are affected with illness and not the birds. We never had a bird die or be brought back.

I defiantly understand where you are coming from and understand what you mean. At the same time I want to be able to take my bird to places like I would take a child. I know I can't enter most stores with it but I still think it would benefit from walking around town with me and perhaps eating outside and that whole deal.

Now my question regarding socialization still stands. Here it is again:

I really want a bird who is socialized and all together willing to allow at least slight physical contact with strangers.

Is the best way to enforce this to allow friends and family who come over hold the bird and give it a treat or something of the like then give it back and then over time build up to going out and doing the same?

Yes, Kitty, the more people you expose your grey to the more socialized it should be, but there is the possibility that the one you get won't be as receptive to new people, some are and some aren't. But most of the ones on this forum that let many people meet and hold their greys say they are more tolerant of other people versus the ones who seldom see other people outside of the immediate family.

So in a nutshell, the more people who interact with your grey the more social it should be.:)

Yep, just let as many people hold it as you can. However you might get a Grey with a personality that just doesn't like to be held at all. It may like to ride around on shoulders or something, but only you will know that after you get it home. I would go based on its personality and if it enjoys being held by lots of people. I haven't seen this quality in Greys, like I have with Cockatoos, Macs, Conures, etc, but anything is possible!B)

Right I understand. Oh and regarding getting one it is really hard to wait but I'm going to have to! lol

Now if only people would help me out on the Bird Feed thread I could write on my 'book' Grey care guide thingy! lol<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/08/06 20:23

This may go on the food section but I'll ask here. In the mornings before school I won't have a TON of time to feed the bird so is one or both of the muffins(the recipes are below) along with pellets and a teaspoon of a seed mix good for breakfast?

Home Made Parrot Muffins

2 cups Corn Meal Flour

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour

1 tablespoon Baking Powder

3 eggs (with shells mushed in small pieces)

1 cooked & peeled sweet potato/yam mashed

1 whole banana mashed

1/2 cup red kidney beans mashed,

2 cups fresh veggies/fruit chopped finely in a food processor

4 tablespoons peanut butter

1/2 cup of chopped nuts (sunflower seeds, hulled millet, pecans, walnuts, etc)

Optional: 2 jars of baby food (veggie or fruit only)

Mix all ingredients and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes (keep a watch on them that they do not burn). You can substitute veggies to whatever is in your house. Can use frozen veggies to substitute for fresh. - Be Creative and have fun with it!

Parrot Muffins

1 package of Hodgeson Cornbread Mix with Whole Wheat Flour

1 egg (with shells mushed in small pieces)

Can add any or all of the following: 1/2 an apple (seeded & chopped), 1/2 sweet potato mashed, 1 whole banana mashed, 1/2 cup red kidney beans mashed,

1 cup fresh veggies (can substitute with frozen) chopped finely in a food processor

2 tablespoons peanut butter (can substitute with Almond Butter)

Optional: 2 jars of baby food (veggie or fruit only)

Optional: 1/4 cup chopped nuts (sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts)

Mix all ingredients and bake according to directions on the box. I use whatever veggies/fruit are in the house (strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, hot chili peppers, beans (kidney beans, navy beans, etc), etc) - Be Creative and have fun with it!

IF its made for parrots, it should be fine...like I said I prefer leaving dry foods over wet foods in the morning as I don't want it sitting, just throw a muffin in one bowl and pellets in the other, of your could mix them up so he/she has to forage, thats also really good for them to get that foraging behavior incorporated into their habits!

Guest briansmum

aerosols of any description (deoorant, air freshners, hair sray) are all a NO NO near the bird they can be DEADLY! paint, particularly gloss can also be deadly, though i have recently decorated with odourless non toxic paint and moved brian out of the room for a couple of days, he's fine. i wouldnt think nail polish would be dangerous so long as it wasn't eaten, but to be on the safe side put it on in another room and make sure the bird doesnt scratch any off with it's beak.

We are so cautious regarding fumes, that when my wife dyes her hair, we open up the house and turn fans on to divert any of those ammonia and other fumes completely away from the Parrots.

I know that stuff even burns my nose :woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/07 14:27

I don't know whether you would call it a game, but sometimes when I am in another room she will call out and I will answer.

There are some games specifically designed for greys, like a little basketball net and ball, some will fetch something thrown out for them on the floor, I am not familar with a lot of them. I have played peek a boo with a towel, you really should get them used to a towel for that is what the vet will use if he needs it at a vet visit.

I would imagine some of the other members will have more suggestions on games they play with their greys, I am not much help on this topic.