Uncertain about Greys

RobertsKitty

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both species (CAGs and TAGs) and both sexes can have the same behavior issues/concerns. It is dependent upon the individual animal and in most cases largely on the OWNER as well. The environment you provide for them, the experiences you allow them to have, the things you expose them to etc have a profound influence on their personality and behavior.

Make no mistake, each bird is unique, but you would be surprised how much you can influence them. Also keep in mind these animals live a long time. Avg of 50+ years with some easily 75+. We all have behavior challenges with them throughout their lives, and change often does not come overnite. But with patience and consistency you can mitigate most behavioral concerns. ;) They can be challenging, but thats part of the fun, building a relationship with them and working together on things!

Thanks so much for everyones help! I now have several questions regarding cages:

With Greys is it more beneficial to have a tall cage or a wide cage? One cage I am considering is 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep and the other is 5 feet tall, 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. Which would be better?

Do Greys climb the bars, ladders, exc or do they tend to hop/fly to their desired destination?

Do Greys prefer several (more that 3 or 4) perches or is more than 3 or 4 to many? Do they enjoy swings?

What kind of portable perch should I look for or will a chair, counter, or whatever else is handy be just fine?

Do Greys like having a back corner that is nearly totally hidden where they can roost hidden and in private?

How old should a Grey be before you put a harness on it? Is there a particular way to 'desensitize' a Grey to the harness or in some way go about teaching it to accept the harness?

And finally, must all Grey toys that are in the cage hang or can they have some toys in the cage that they can pick up and play with off the floor, or flat surface within the cage?

I know this is probably more an opinion question but with other birds I have had its always been true that we clip the wings of a bird till it has been trained well enough that it will come when you tell it to then you can let them grow out some but we never let the feathers get long enough for total and complete flight just to insure they don't wing into a fan or something of the like. Does that ring true with Grey's as well or is that just in smaller birds.<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/08/02 04:15

Well, that is a lot of questions! I am sure you will get many responses as some of the topics do not have clear answers.

1. Generally the bigger the cage you have space for and can afford the better. The bird should be able to spread its wings completely in the cage w/o hitting anything inside.

2. Greys (and all parrots) are climbers. They are zogodactyl, meaning they have 2 forward facing claws and 2 backward facing. this provides better climbing grip and control.

3. Greys like multiple perches, swings, variety. In fact, if you condition your grey properly it can be good to change toys, perches etc around in the cage to keep them engaged. Some are phobic of change, but the more you accustom them to it the better.

4. Most find 1 or more portable perches are a must so the bird can perch in different rooms etc. They like to be where you are and the action is!

5. some like private hiding corners, some not so much!

6. The earlier you can work with a bird for harness training the better. Older birds will be more set in their ways and may be more difficult, but I believe all will come to accept this if you are patient and work with them. The Aviator harness is a great product and comes with a video complete with introduction techniques etc.

7. Many different toy types and changing them regularly is a must for most greys to keep them mentally challenged.

8. Many different opinions on keeping them flighted or clipped. Current scientific data would strongly support at least allowing them to become proficient fliers BEFORE the first clip. I keep them flighted. There are pros and cons to both. There is some very good discussion on this forum regarding this topic, I will post the link shortly and you can use the search function for additional posts on the topic. B)

KItty, the first cage would be better than the second one as they need room to be able to spread their wings and not touch the sides.

Yes they climb all around the cage, top, bottom and sides.

You should have several perches and of different materials and different shapes to help with their feet and nails, some rough to file down the talons and so the feet are not in the same position on the perch.

Whatever works for a portable perch is fine, you don't need anything special.

Most prefer one side of the cage to be back against a wall, it gives them some feeling of safety.

You can start at soon as you bring it home to try the harness, probably better to get it started early, they will probably take to it better.

Cage toys can and should be all three ways you mentioned, most toys are the hanging kind, but they need foot toys and there are some nice toys that go in between the bars for them to play with. A variety is best, some wooden, some plastic, things to destroy, things they cannot destroy and such. And rotate the toys from time to time so they don't get bored.

Clipping the wings is a personal preference, some here do clip and some don't as long as they learn proper flight and landing you can do as you wish. My Josey was clipped to start with but now I am letting hers grow out and am going to try the aviator harness with her.

I hope I have answered your questions as best as I can, you are so smart to find out what you can before you make that purchase. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask, we will give you what we know.:)

Thank you all very much for your help. All these posts have been impossibly helpful!!

I have chosen a cage that is 5 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet deep. Is that a good size or do I need to try and find larger?

If I can get my bird to be harness trained fairly quickly I might just clip its wings once when it first comes home just till it is fairly accustomed to me then I'll let them grow out.

How long does a clipped birds wings take to grow out again?

5%20x%204%20x%202%20bird%20cage.jpg

Would a Grey use those rocks or would it ignore them? (Not the cage I'm buying just curious)<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/08/02 06:42

One more quick question. I have been looking for T-stands only to make an odd discovery. I can't find anywhere that sells them for less than $100. I wouldn't think it would cost nearly this much considering alot of them are just wooden dowels stuck together.

Where can I find one online for a reasonable price?

Kitty, I don't know where you have been looking for T-stands but there are lots of them out there for less than $100, if it is a simple T-stand and not one of the fancy ones with all kinds of perches and toys. When I do an internet search I come up with dozens of places, just keep looking.

In answer to your other question, I don't see why they wouldn't use the rocks, but I think they would prefer the perches and branches, since they would rather have something they can wrap their talons around.:P

Guest briansmum

please do not be offended but i really don't like the glass fronted cages with the picture on the back, they look very pretty but they're not very practical and also very impersonal. i think it's kind of cruel having your bird behind a sheet of glass, seems more like a display cabinet. if that is the one you have your heart set on then yes it's a good size. but have you considered all bar cages?

Thanks Judy. I don't know why I am finding such expensive ones. I'll keep looking.

xxbeccyxx- The reason I am interested in these cages is not only are they easier to clean but they offer several features that are beneficial to the bird. I will however be sure to look for a normal cage to see whats out there.

Guest briansmum

ok :) i wasn't chastising, i guess it's just personal oppinion. you sound like you've looked into it. what benefits do they have?

Hi RobertsKitty -

I have to agree with beccy here...Not only does the glass remove a welcome climbing area, but it potentially decreases ventilation and creates an envirnment where the sounds they make will be "trapped" inside the cage and possibly echoing around in there. Getting a good cage is a must, so the fact you are researching and open to options at this point is key! I am not saying there is right or wrong, but keep in mind as you look that the goal is to get a cage that will be the best home for the animal. Another note, one thing about keepig birds (parrots in particular) is that they are MESSY! It still amazes me how such a small animal can create such a large mess! ;) But they are worth it...B)<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2007/08/02 17:31

Those glass fronted cages are pretty to look at but Beccy is right, an all bar cage offers more areas for them to climb around on, and usually have bars going in both directions, horizontal and vertical, that exercise the feet more.

This is just our opinion but you do what you think is best, it is your bird and you will make the decision as to what kind of cage you get.

The two main ones that I like best are the incorporated feeding system that allows people who are unsure of the bird(like someone who will watch it if I'm ever away) slide the bottom of the dish out and refill it without worry of the bird trying to escape. They also have hoods that keep any food or water from spilling out onto the floor. The sides of the hoods that protect the outside feeding area are slightly clouded so the bird feels safer when eating.

Another benefit is the ability to safely mount special lights to insure the bird is getting enough UVA/UVB lighting in a safe way. Birds exposed to the full spectrum of light in a safe manor tend to longer, healthier lives.

Another helpful thing is the storage area beneath the cage that will allow someone like me, living in limited space, to have plenty of room to store whatever my little birdy needs.

The locks also are amazing because they are like what you find in a zoo. This insure that any little escape artist will remain safely in his/her cage when I'm not home!

And don't worry I knew you were not chastising!<br><br>Post edited by: RobertsKitty, at: 2007/08/02 17:35

Sounds like you have already made up your mind about this glass enclosed cage but some of the elements of this cage can be achieved with an all bar cage. Some of the members here do use a full spectrum light with an all bar cage and you can find cages with some storage space underneath the bird area, plus most cages come with a seed catcher on them. But birds are gonna be messy and the glass will get stuff slung on it too, so avoiding a messy area around birds is unattainable.

And with the closures on cages now a lock is unnecessary with a grey, but once in a while one will figure out how to escape but not very likely.

No we are not chastising you, you asked some questions and we have answered the best way we know how and that is what we are here for to help you make your decision and it is your decision, we throw in the advice for free.:laugh:

Guest briansmum

theres some good reasons there but a lot that can be done with a normal cage. the new one i just got for brian has it's own little doors for the dishes so they can be accessed without the bird getting out. as for food spilling out.. you're getting a grey, one way or another they will fling their food about :lol:

you can get specialy bird UV lights now that have their own cover and stand so the wire is held away from the cage... or like CeasarsDad did, make your own wire guard.

i agree the storage is very good and very tidy, much nicer looking than my method of putting things under bri's cage LOL

The all look like they would work, as would the glass ones you are eyeing...I have an "avian adventures" cage and have been very happy with it. For the price its well made and very functional. Has a storage shelf on the bottom, removable play area on top, easy access cage doors, seed catchers on the bottom (if you choose to install), easy to clean slide out trays...I would check them out: www.avianadventures.com

The last cage is similar to the one I have and I don't open up the top of it, I let her play on the playtop on the side, she does not yet have any issues with being higher, but she likes to climb the toy hook. Any one of those cages would be good for a grey.

Guest briansmum

those are all nice cages. i have just bought one similar to the bottom one except the top doesnt open. i bought it for the playtop because i am limited for space too and this way his play area and cage are in one. of course if you have the room for the big cage with more internal space and then room for a play stand/gym of some description then the bigger the cage the better.