NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shoulder Riding

bigbird519

In "The African Grey Parrot Handbook" by Mattie Sue Athan, it states that shoulder riding is a bad idea. I've heard that this information is outdated. True or False? Is shoulder riding a major "no-no" or is it ok with a well-socialized grey? How many of you actually allow it and what are the resulting attitudes?

That's not a subject that can be outdated because it only has to do with a bird's individual personality. Some birds can be shoulder birds because they won't do anything physicaly negative but will sit there and do nothing.

But if he's not that type of bird, no matter how sweet, kind, loveable, cute and adorable your grey is, if he gets the idea that he can go on your shoulder, I guarantee you that in the future, he will give you an absolutely free-of-charge lobe piercing for your next set of new earrings that you buy. If you wear a chain on your neck, they're able to snap and break it without even trying hard. They love shiny jewelry. This goes for your husband too because as far as ear lobes go, there is no sexual preference. Another reason for not doing the shoulder thing is that if you use some sort of hair grooming item in your hair, they will get to it because they love to preen hair. If they do get to that cosmetic, they will swallow it and that's a no no. Another thing about the shoulder is that when it comes time that you don't want him there, they will give you a struggle when you try to catch him. They'll race over to the other shoulder and they might bite if you persist. They like heights.

All of this only pertains to birds who like to bite when they're on shoulders and there's no way to train them to stop being attracted to all of the above.

So, bird's personalities never change so information about shoulders is always the same. It can never get outdated. There's loads of people here who have wonderful, sweet, loving, cuddly birds that can't be allowed on shoulders and then there's those birds that can be allowed on shoulders with no problems.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/02/15 09:17

I have one of those greys that I allow on my shoulder, but don't think for one minute that my earlobe or eyelid would be out of danger for one minute!

I believe that you really have to know your grey's body language before you allow them to be on your shoulder and, touch wood, up until now my judgements have been correct.

I wouldn't allow him on either of the children's shoulders though (they are 16 and 18, so not little) and my husband is very wary when he is on his.

Anyway - it's the only time I get any peace - him sitting up there and me scratching his head!! ;)

Dave is spot on and so is Jill.

Even a love muffin bird that has been on your shoulder and behaved "Most" the time they can and will nip if your not paying attention to them or if something scares them at times.

Our grey is a shoulder rider, but we stay in tune with him at all times due to the "Possibility" of a nip happening. We chose to continue with him on our shoulders. Some will not want even the "slightest risk of a nip and do not allow their bird on their shoulder if they are prone to do so, which is wise.

Also as Dave noted, remove all jewelry or it will get ripped out of your ear and-or broken.

Ultimately only you know your bird and can decide if it is one that can be trusted on the shoulder.

Also, if you do decide to let your bird on your shoulder. As they age and especially during the "Terrible Twos". There will be times that your bird will be highly excited and you will not wanted him or her on your shoulder during those times.

You will learn to read your bird and know when or no to let him or her on the shoulder. Thus the need to ensure you train him to accept stepping up off your shoulder when requested and also accept your arm as a riding place rather than the shoulder when those "Excited, pumped-up times" occur and they will.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/02/15 20:41

Dorian is not allowed on my shoulder at all, ever, period. He is too easilly startled. My ears are double pierced, and that's enough for me. I just don't think it's a good idea because you can't see them to read their body language.

If you do want your bird to have shoulder privileges, make it clear that it is a privilege, not a right. While he's a baby make it clear that when you ask him to step off your shoulder he has no choice in the matter. Do it a thousand times until it's automatic and ingrained. Also keep in mind that if you let him on the shoulder of his 'favourite' person, he's going to want to have shoulder privileges on other people, people with whom he may be less obedient. If he gets used to being on shoulders now, breaking the habit in the future will be a small nightmare:S

Having him ride on your shoulder is more convienient for us humans because then we have both hands free to do stuff, but the only thing you can say for sure about these birds is that they're unpredictable. Honestly, I just wouldn't risk it.

I don't let my grey on my shoulder, she loves to nip my ears. Just to be doing it!!!! When she flew to my 10 year old grandson's shoulder that totally re-enforced that there would be no shoulder riding for her. My grandchild's vision is much too precious for any accidents intentional or not.

in my opinoin

yes yes yes yes!

i think one of the joys of having a parrot is having it on your shoulder.

but of course i go along with all the others about being very careful.

she has taken a liking to touching my ear which tickles so makes me laugh so she probably thinks its a game but i am well aware that this could turn into biting.

another thing is sometimes tigerlily can go for my face with the intention of biting it hard and has come close to my eye. she quickly gets removed after this.

but again these are all things i'll risk to have her on my shoulder, i guess until i come off worse.

I do allow my greys on my shoulders, however, it is only done while I'm sitting down, never while walking from one room to another, while I'm doing something else like folding clothes or cooking. The biggest reason for this exception is that I can control my own movements much better and am truly more in tune with the body language of my grey. Dixie loves to sit on my shoulder and is perfectly content with not messing with my earrings, hair, ears, glasses, etc. Beau on the other hand requires that I take all of the above (except the ears) off. Dixie enjoys this privilege much more often than does Beau (he's learning...lol). Both greys know that sitting on mom's shoulder is only done when she's sitting in front of the computer, otherwise they are on a playstand, their cage, on my hand, or one of the other numerous toys in the house.

I do pay the price very frequently for permitting Rishi to sit on my shoulder. He is normally on my left shoulder and my left ear will probably start resembling a cabbage leaf in the very near future and that is going to only increase Rishi's onslaughts because he does like cabbage !!

I have my baby cleaning his feathers on my left shoulder right now. I guess I will just have to see how this goes. He has never given me any reason to be afraid so far. He even trys to talk in my ear. So I dunno....he is okay there until he hurts me. So far, knock on wood, he has not bitten me or anyone I socialize him with. I am always super gentle and so is he. :) So far.

Ha...totally...and my first thought is...that they like to poop after flights....:ohmy: Ha! Anyway...I love all the attention my lil bird gives me..and wants from me. I live alone....but not really....;) Since I brought this miracle of a gift home...I will never feel alone again...I love you, Issac!! You are my love.

Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/18 04:29

Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/18 04:41

Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/18 04:46<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/18 05:10

We have always allowed Alex to ride on our shoulders. Not just mine but everyone in the family. However when it is time to come off there are no complaints. The only thing I had to do was take off the ear rings. I can live without my ear rings. However the fact that Alex is so well behaved doesn't mean that another bird would be.

Martini (senegal) is NEVER allowed on my shoulder. He can ride on pretty much everyone else but not me. He hates me with a passion and takes every chance he can to bit me and he always draws blood if he gets me. He has gotten much worse recently and I'm thinking some of it might be hormons sense it is that time of the year. I use to let him sit with me if I'm sitting on the couch but I can't even allow that any more. It is really getting to a point that I may have to start locking him up if I'm going to be in the living room for more than a few minutes.

The biggest thing we all are saying is know your bird and know what your willing to risk.