NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

afraid of perching

sanzoni

So my last post I asked a question about that way my CAG is not perching onto me and stuff and they gave me some suggestions and said to give the bird some time. So now, I almost had him for a month he is over 4 months old. Like I said in the old post if we perfectly fine before the vet and was coming onto my hand and stuff. He is still not perching onto me or anybody. He climbs out of the cage and goes to the playpen at the top. Then when I need to get him back in it is a big problem getting him in. He starts screeching, lowering his body so I can't get him, starts biting. I don't understand what is going on. I know he is still somewhat new but his behavior is not like any other people's CAG that I knew of when they first got their bird. I just wan't him to be more "affectionate" and not to freak out like he does. I am worried that he will continue to act like this. Please help! thanks

Firstly...realize that a relationship with a bird is very symbiotic in the way that they go with your feelings, so if you are feeling nervous in any way...he is feeling it too. He is not 'freaking you out'...rather...you are freaked out by him. You have to be comfortable with the bird...and...it has to be real...you cannot fool these guys.

So firstly...I ask...do you love your bird?? If you do, then things will go well. These little sweethearts are like children and need a lot of attention and you have to be able to read thier body language.

Here is what i recommend....first...be honest with yourself about where the bird is in your life. For me...he is my best friend, and I always want him to feel safe, loved, and nurtured. Be ready for this commitment. These creatures are precious and need lots of love. Secondly...if you are serious about your relationship with the bird...begin by observing his actions before you take action. He will let you know if he is put off. If he is fresh at home...give him room to get comfortable.

As far as not getting off you when you are trying to cage him....LMAO.....yep...they will do that....he wants out and to stay out. I pretty much let my baby be outside the cage all the time I am home.

Finally...if you are afraid....he can feel it. Consider this...all of your feelings are like a sign on your chest to your bird. You have to be calm, collected, and without fear. Not only that, but you have to be happy, and feel love in your heart for your bird. Because he is to be a life long friend and he should feel that vibe from you.

Rule #1: Really love your bird. :)

lol I think I probably confused you with what I am saying. I am not afraid of the bird at all. He is the one that is afraid of me. He NEVER comes onto me unless I absolutely need to get him in the cage like if I am leaving my house. When I am home I always leave the cage door open and he himself climbs out of the cage to go to the top of it where the playpen is. It is getting him in the cage that is a huge problem. I do love the my CAG a lot, which is why I am asking this question because I want it to be a good relationship for the next 50-80 years lol. I just don't know why he is so afraid of everything. I know birds need a couple weeks to get used to everything but I never seen a parrot or CAG this afraid of everything and neither did the people I know who I explained all this to. And it is just not me he is afraid of, it is everybody. The day we got him he was letting us pet him and pick him up and right after we brought him to the vet it is like he is traumatized and nothing is getting better at all.

Don't think that he is not normal, this is very normal grey behaviour. You have to realise that he has been taken from what he knows and suddenly he is in your home not knowing what is going on, who you are, where he is and not knowing what you expect from him.

He doesn't speak your language and has his own language that you are going to have to learn so you know what he is telling you.

Now try and put yourself in his shoes and see how scared you would feel as well. I will tell you that with our second grey it took me a year to become her friend. They are not all the same he might just need more time.

Give him more time, just talk to him like a friend, sit with him and just let him do what he wants, learn his body language so you know what he is telling you.

A lot of greys don't want to go back in the cage when they are young and it's your job to teach him. Use things that he really loves to lure him back in, start to do some step up training with him. First start with a stick if he won't go on your and then when he is comfortable with that then start to teach with the hand. Make this fun for him giving him treats to encourage him. Most importantly take baby steps.

You will have to have patience and take his cue and go at his pace. If he is not comfortable with something then don't force him, find other ways that might be fun for him.

One example was with our first grey we had to get creative to get him back in the cage. We had a perch on the inside door of the cage and we would lure him there with food and then swing the door closed. He learnt this so we had to tie a string to the door and sit on the couch and wait until he went to the perch and pulled the string for the door to close. Rangi was about the age of your grey and at this stage we were working on step up and staying on the hand and going back in the cage.

So think outside the box, become creative. Practice when you are home with getting him in and letting him out again.

Hi Sanzoni, so sorry that things are not going well with your baby grey. Something has caused your grey to be leery of you and your family. Can you tell us what your routine is with your grey? How you and your family interact with him? Perhaps with some deeper information, some help can be provided. Have you talked to your grey's breeder about the problems you are having as he/she would know your grey best. If your grey had an unpleasant experience at the vet, this can take time to get over. They are very intelligent. Being calm and understand is an important plus. What is your grey's favorite treat? That is what I would use to get him back in his cage. I also use my arm has a step up perch for my grey. It is much more sturdy than a hand/finger. Grey's do use their beaks to test if a perch is strong enough to hold them so if you pull your hand/arm away when your grey reaches out to test it with his beak, you might get bitten if your grey is trying to steady his perch. Patience is the key to earn our greys' trust.