NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

regards to clipping

bigbird519

I gotta tell you that i am sooo glad to see that my breeder did not clip his wings. mo-jo is so happy in his new home. very inquisitive, very confident, and making a bit more gobble gobbles than i had expected he would. I can only believe after hours af research that the fledging had alot to do with this amazing personality that i am able to witness.

it is trueley amazing the way he sits outside of his cage, on the perch i have set up for him, and watches me so intentley while i stand there and speak to him. i repeat myself a couple of times and then stop speaking.... he then tilts his cure little head and tries to reply "gurble gurble" and then he tries to mimic. even at the age of only 5 months!

i personally believe alot of this is due to his ability to fly. and fly he does. he is not the most graceful of birds as of yet. however, i can only imaginge that he will be.

just thought i would share, thanks again for listening.

b.t.w. i am a true believer that you are not to cut wings until at least two years of age, for reasons i have mentioned already. however, my wife and i spoke about it and we believe that if we can keep him with flight for that long.... what's another 79 years gonna hurt. lol

100_2003.jpg

Here here. Just a little over a week ago I came to the forums asking opinions on clipping...and i am so glad I decided against it. He is so happy now flying all around. He started at just the tender age of 10 weeks, then he got better at landing and I was thinking, "He is just too hapy flying". So I decided not to do it. He is now almost 13 weeks and a beautiful, happy bird. Glad to see you got him with full flight. Cheers.

danmcq wrote:

Glass lifted in toast to all those with flighted birds or who are letting the primaries grow in out there!

Agreed!! I'll toast that too! There's nothing greater than being elsewhere in the house and shouting and they come flying to you! They keep you on your toes - but birds were born with wings! Let them fly ;)

I am so happy to see most of the members here are in favor of non clipping. We are providing the best to our parrots that is freedom of flight. Birds are much happier if they are flighted. In my country most of the parronts are in favor of clipping and chain their parrots to the stand. Poor birdies.:(

I wish with all my heart that Dorian hadn't spent the first four years of his life clipped and cage bound. Having a flighted bird may mean more work initially for owners to train and bird proof the home, but if giving these creatures the best life possible is too much work for you, then IMHO you should get a goldfish instead:P Please understand, I know that there may be situations where clipping is the right choice, but it's a decison that should never be made without careful thought, research, and deliberation. The thought of not only clipping, but then chaining one of these intelligent creatures makes me so sad. Hopefully with forums like this one we're doing a bit to educate current and prospective owners on how to keep a happy parrot.

That is so good to hear Bigbird. It seems that far to often breeders clip birds befor handing them to their human partners. I can't imagine Misty as a non flyer. Flying is as natural for him as walking is for me. It horrifies me that some parrot keepes deliberately cripple their birds in the mistaken belief it makes them safer.

Karma to you.

from Mistyparrot.

Steve n Misty

My Breeder and I still disagree on Ana Grey being flighted. She has told me at least twice that she is retired and if Ana Grey flies away there is no replacement. So we agree to disagree and I will continue to do my very best to see that Ana Grey remains safe in our home. For to me, she has always been irreplaceable. My sweet one of a kind!