NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

More Bird Parenting Questions and Observations

Elvenking

This morning, I played with him on the floor, rooling toys around with my nose, shaking them in my teeth. Dragging things by him to get him to play, and he engages a bit. Does anyone have some playtime activities they do that really engages their feathered friend?

After we played a little bit, I bring him into the bathroom while I shower, and for some reason...this is the time he starts getting creative with the noises he is making, and i think he tries to talk. Everytime I hear something that sounds like an attempt to speak, I try to let him know that is good.

So, any playtime activities or observations that you have made while raising your baby Grey would be cool. I find that I can never seem to have enough toys for him, and toys can get expensive. Looking for any ideas. Thank you all for any advice. :)

Here is a picture of my lil baby when he was 8 weeks and still at the breeders home... 8WeekBaby.JPG

8WeekBaby.JPG

Love the photo and it brings to mind using a towel to play peek-a-boo with and covering our grey with it etc. It gets them very comfortable with towels on and around them which is good for when you may need to towel them for various reasons.

The other interactive thing you can do that will create interest and develope foraging skills is to place a favorite treat in something like a wadded up piece of paper or in a foraging toy you would hang in their cage.

This will give them mental and physical stimulation when caged. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2010/02/11 20:46

Yep...I was playing Peek-a-boo with him yesterday on the floor for a while. He was getting somewhat curious and checking me out a bit. And he will run after things when i drag them on the floor. Sometimes he will rase up, flap his wings and make this "Raawwawawawkk" sound which is totally cute.

I haven't had a single reason to 'towel' him up yet. This bird has not bit me once....knock on wood. But He seems pretty comfortable around towels for the moment. I also do peek-a-bo while he is on the counter and I am in the shower. He seems to like that. That game is a good idea.

I will also try to wrap a treat up for him so he can work to get it. The tough part at this point since he is so young, is finding his favorite treat. (Which is mainly his formula right now) I will figure that out though. I keep working with him...and it's fun.

And yes...I have to try some of those homemade toys in the 'Toys' section. I liked the one with cut up cupcake wrapers and straws...that looks like one he would like. Just yesterday, he made quick work of a toy I got him a day earlier. It was in pieces pretty quick.

Thank you for suggestions and keep em coming if you can. I really enjoy hearing how others interact and socialize with their birds. Trying to take the collective wisdom of this forum, and create the greatest experience for Issac....he certainly thanks you all for it.<br><br>Post edited by: Elvenking, at: 2010/02/11 22:20