NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clanging

frankieNYC

Frankie has been doing this thing for a while now... with his beak, he grabs an object (the bar of his cage, the metal rod on my shower door, the rim of a mug, the tray on the bottom of his cage) and almost "snaps" his beak, producing a loud "clang" noise. It's almost like he is testing the material or just wants to produce a sound.

I am probably not doing this description justice - but has anyone else seen this behavior? Any thoughts if there is significance... ?

Stephanie

I think he has found a way to make some noise, and he seems to enjoy it, I don't see any problem with it. I don't recall my Josey doing anything like that but they are all different and individuals. Do you react in any way to him when he does it, that may account for why he does it too.:P

Kip makes noises using her beak, sometimes grabbing something and sort of "snapping" her beak on it, sometimes just clicking her beak loudly by applying pressure to the upper/lower portions of the beak and making a noise! From what you describe, sounds (literally) pretty normal... ;)

I don't think I react to it any more than to his usual sounds. I believe it's the same motion as a click but just with an object between his lower and upper beak. He does the usual beak clicks and grinding as well, but he is constantly doing this clanging. I think he does use it as leverage sometimes to weasel things open, like his poop tray. He certainly seems happy when he does it :)

When I open up the tray for him, he scurries around picking up old food. It's like the holy grail or something...

Guest briansmum

yep lots of beak clicking over here too, both with objects and without. somtimes it's so loud it makes me wonder how he doesn't break his beak!

HAHA frankie, i would like to see the scurrying sounds very funny!

Guest Lidia

If you look at the underside of their upper beaks you will see there is a sort of herringbone pattern of ridges, this is what they use to produce the 'grinding' sound that is the parrot-purr, and it is also used to produce many other clicks and snaps and noises. Take a look at the ridges, they are really interesting to see, especially if you didn't know they were there.

Stephanie, Frankie sounds like he is just getting to know the sounds he can produce with or without tools.

They will also often bash their beaks on a hard or soft surface, I don't know if it's for the noise or vibrations. Interesting behaviour. Black cockatoos, in the Australian wild, get a piece of wood and bash it onto another, drumming, some sort of communication. I suppose it's related.

Guest briansmum

i had noticed the ridges, i had presumed they were to help grind down food. interesting info there lidia, thanks :)

Guest Lidia

xxbeccyxx wrote:

i had noticed the ridges, i had presumed they were to help grind down food. interesting info there lidia, thanks :)

Oh, I meant to say, they also use them to help manoeuvre seeds and nuts so that they can find the weak spot to crack. Very useful those ridges, if you don't have hands! But they don't function as teeth to help grind food or anything like that.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/08/01 14:14