NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Silicone Cookware

Joolesgreyuk

I find myself wondering how I'm going to make my pancakes this shrove Tuesday, with no non-stick pans in the house or any suitable alternative, no yorkshire puddings, cakes, sponge cakes in our house these days but I do like my pancakes once a year lol.

Recently I've found myself looking at silicone bakeware for some baking (even hatchday cakes!) but I'm not sure how safe it is or if it gives off any toxic fumes. Searched on here but found nothing, does anyone know how safe it is?

EPA data shows that there is no danger to ourselves or birds by using non-stick cookware as it is designed to be used. The same is true for silicon cookware.

While there is no question about non-stick cookware's ability to generate PFOA toxins (labeled a possible carcinogen by the EPA), it is only at extreme temperatures that might happen. These temperatures are well above the smoke point of any oils we would cook with. Thus these high temperatures present as much a danger form oil smoke than it does the generation of PFOA. Also, it is not clear whether the issue is aerosol contaminate or particulate escaping into food. Either way, if in good condition and used properly, non-stick cookware present no issues. In fact, the EPA has stated that "there is little worry about it if consumers use nonstick cookware properly."

Even so, the EPA recommends keeping pet birds out of the kitchen in case cookware exceeds the recommended maximum of 450 deg F. This means the kitchen. Which frankly, shouldn't be where birds would be during cooking anyway (ask me about spaghetti sauce and birds sometime).

But, to your question, there is no issue identified at all with silicone cookware. It does not contain the PTFE coating nor PFOA components.

For what it's worth, I use non-stick cookware and silicone products in my household. Further, I keep the birds in an adjacent space (no walls). However, I do always run exhaust fans while cooking. Beaker likes to smell dinner coming :)

"""""For what it's worth, I use non-stick cookware and silicone products in my household. Further, I keep the birds in an adjacent space (no walls). However, I do always run exhaust fans while cooking. Beaker likes to smell dinner coming""""""

I do the same thing as but I have a door blocking the kitchen. I never personally installed the door . It came with the house. I also have an exhaust fan over the stove. The birds can only come in when I allow it which is rare.

I don't allow them in the kitchen when we're eating or cooking. To us that's a bad habit and also a messy one and unsanitary when birds eat food off of a person's plate. We also keep the dog out of the kitchen until we're finished because he's always looking for something that may be on the floor. We have loads stainless steel pots and pans which are extremely old but that's only because lots of foods taste better when cooked in stainless steel. That's a habit that I picked up from my grandmother many many years ago.

Sometimes, this whole teflon thing gets a little blown out of proportion. True, better safe than sorry but the subject of disgarding whole sets of teflon can go a little over board.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2010/02/09 19:47

I have a confession, and one which I don't wish to give as a "green light" regarding teflon (as obviously there are countless, sad instances where birds have indeed died).

As many know I had a cockatiel for 17 years. It resided in exactly the same place that Harvey's cage is (right outside the kitchen door in the hall) and until I joined this forum and started reading about health and safety tips and read straight away about the horrors of teflon, I knew nothing of it!

I used countless teflon coated frying pans, steak griddles, pancake pans etc over the years, as did my mother when both Spiky and I lived at home - to absolutely no detrimental effect.

Now, like Julie, I am so cautious! I ensure completely that Harvey is not in the kitchen when I cook (either with or without Teflon) and ensure that the windows are open, and the back door mesh opened and the extractor on when I do use the Teflon pan.

I have the silicone muffin "tin" though Julie - and they don't have any toxins to release just at "oven" temperature (because I made sure, after I'd read the effects of cooking on our birds)!

I too must confess, the year before purchasing Paco I spent a small fortune replacing all of my pots and pans with expensive teflon... Prior to joining the forum I used them all the time with my four finches in the next room, and without using any exhaust fans - nothing.

Now, I must make it clear, I don't "heat" any pans prior to cooking, I can't be bothered, as soon as the pot or pan hits the stove, then the food hits the pan.

Anyway, like Dave, I run the hood fan over the stove when I'm using these pans. I`m planning on replacing them, but I`m still recovering from the hit to my wallet from the parrot purchase and all that goes with it. I also don`t want any birds in my kitchen while I`m cooking, first, I`m afraid that he may get hurt, and almost as bad, I can`t keep up with supervising the bird and slicinging and dicing at the same time, resulting in some kind of enormous mess created by Paco`s fun...