NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Congo African Grey Doesn't Talk

Sunshine0125

Hi! I adopted a 12 yr old Congo African Grey 6 weeks ago. We do not know his sex so we just call him a 'he'. He is a very well adjusted bird in that he doesnt pluck even with being re-homed, and he loves new toys and nothing seems to bother him. He doesnt talk at all, though. He does mimic the microwave and make water sounds. It doesnt matter to me if he talks or not but here's my question: Since he is 12 yrs old and I have had him 6 wks, does that mean I just have a grey that doesnt and won't talk? Or has anyone heard of it taking awhile for a Grey to talk after being re-homed? He seems to really like me...he lets me hold him, kiss him, pet his back, and he also makes funny whiney noises and trys to barf on me(which I was told is a good thing.lol). But he is just very very quiet. I have a 2 yr old Quaker and a 6 yr old White-Eyed Conure that have been with me since they were babies and they talk up a storm. They all sit together on a huge playstand my husband custom-built and are out all day long on it as I do not work anymore. SO everyone's very happy...I just wondered if since our new family member has not said a word in 6 wks, that means he's not a talker. Thanks so much for your help! :-)<br><br>Post edited by: Sunshine0125, at: 2010/02/05 22:21

More than likely, he won't talk and probably hasn't talked in years if not ever. Many greys don't talk, even when they're young. They master the art of different sounds but talking isn't appealing. Talking really isn't important if you understand that your bird is talking all day long in his own language and a fun thing to do is to learn that language. A bird who's doing that is communicating to a person although the person has to figure out what's being said which can take quite a while but it's a learning experience. Loads and loads of people here have birds that are young all the way up to mature adults who've never talked. Human talking is simply mimicing.

Karma to you Sunshine0125 for re-homing an older grey. I have an older re-homed eclectus that only says "Hi" and laughs or makes laser sounds. He is a very quiet. So I know what you meant, you still love them to pieces! Your new grey just may surprise you in the future! I can't wait to hear more about your flock!

We took in a 12 year old u2 that I was told only said hello and I love you. Sterling has been with us for 6 months now and he has increased his vocabulary to "be right back" - this is something I always say to him. He also talks in gibberish quite a bit, and I love it, he's telling me something like you wouldn't believe and I let him tell me and interject with "You don't say" and "I can't believe that" and "You've got to be kidding." The more I interject, the more he chatters away. We've noticed in the last few days he's saying more and more words clearly during his gibberish, so he's working on words, whether he knows it or now. That doesn't mean your grey will talk, but don't get discouraged, keep talking away, he may not respond in human words, but in bird words!

Robin

Karma to you for giving an older grey a needed new home. I am sure your bird is so happy and loves you. The vomiting thing is good lol He may just be quiet or he may be learning and not saying it out loud in front of you. My bird talks alot more if I leave the room to go do something because he wants me to come back. He talks some when I am in the room but not nearly as much. Like Dave said they definitely communicate in their own way regardless. I hope you are enjoying your new grey and we look forward to hearing more about your flock :)

;) Spock here...Joey, my brother from a different mother,my "parronts" rescued a while back, [HE'S OLD] didn't talk for a long time. Then at first he'd say things about his previous owners [sad] and now he doesn't shut up...He's teaching me to talk...:P

:woohoo: Spock

Live Long and Prosper

[Karma.....in a couple of hr's, haha]<br><br>Post edited by: Spock, at: 2010/02/10 01:48

I gather that you can't ask previous owners if he ever spoke? They're all individuals, as you know, so no one can predict what he may do in the future. We have a 'tiel in the store who was a rescue and came in with quite a few words but now only ever says 'pretty bird'. So he only spoke in an environment where he was pretty much ignored. Now that he's our "King Ralph" he doesn't feel the need to speak anymore. The best way to encourage talking is to talk to him. Maybe if he sees you talking with the other birds and making a fuss that might motivate him more, without, of course, seeming to favour one bird over another. He obviously loves you and sounds like he's a lovely, laid back dude:) What's his name btw?

Spock..How long was Joey quiet before he started talking? To everyone else: Thanks so much for the encouragement. The previous owner didn't mention anything to me about him talking. I found her email and decided to send her an email asking her if he did talk and what words so I can use them to make him feel more comfortable. I just have to say that He (His name is Harley) is doing WONDERFUL! He has really opened up for me in the sense that I feel he is trusting me a lot more. He leans in for a kiss now when he steps up and he lets me pet his back without trying to bite me as much..lol...he even leans in for snuggles sometimes! He is very happy with my other two birds. They all sit on their huge play area together and play with toys, eat snacks etc. My other two birds (conure & quaker) talk up a storm all day long so if he is going to talk he would probably learn from them. But I am just so happy that he seems comfortable and content. He is such a beautiful, sweet bird. But he has his own opinion and I have to be very careful about his body language because if he doesnt want to step up and I am not paying attention to his body language he will practically attack me, and its funny because if he doesnt want a certain snack I offer him he will take it then throw is at me! LOL....I read that you never want to try to be boss with a grey but that you must earn their trust, so I am treating him as an equal, a friend, and trying to listen to what he wants and how he feels and that is really working. What a sweetie he is. :-)

Well Harley may just not be a talker but you never can tell, he may surprise you one day but glad to hear the relationship is going good and I am surprised that he gets along with the other two birds, most greys do not, including my two birds.

You are lucky in one respect though, your conure talks and mine doesn't, she never has so I have one bird that talks and one that doesn't but I love them both just the same.

Thanks for the great update on Harley and keep up the good work.

Ha ha! Sounds like fun! Now that my parrot is speaking, I really have realized that it wouldn't have mattered, I love him so much that it doesn't matter. He isn't using anything in context, so it's been about reading his body language anyway, the relationship is still fantatstic, and it seems you are well on your way!

Hi Sunshine,

God bless u for taking on a 12 years old CAG, and Im glad you are getting along fine, just give him time to adjust. Ive taken Kookie when he was almost 4 years old, he was previously in a loving home, but interacted mostly with other parrots, rather than humans. He used to whistle and screech and only say 2 words, "hello" & "see u byebye" but week after week he was less stressed and more relaxed, he started immitating words, more like babbling than talking, but month after month he increased his vocabulary and now u cant shut him up. He still babbles lots of unclear sentences, interrupted by some clear words. He learns an average of 2 to 3 words or frases monthly. He learns tricks more quickly and is more an acrobat than a clear speaker.

What I can say is be patient and keep talking to him, whether he immitates or not, you never know. The most important is that u learn to read him and communicate with him and this is the base of a long loving relationship between the 2 of you.

All the best and keep us posted with your latest news.

{Nature-00020095}

Thats wonderful news!

The more he considers himself a member of the flock and is included in the one on one interactions that he enjoys. The harder he will try to communicate with you.

Don't ever give up and always use the sames word(s) in context with you actions and items you offer him.

You just never know. Perhaps he was not interacted with in a consistently level previously.

You are doing a wonderful job of giving him a new and loving home. :-)

I rehomed an eclectus that only says Hi and makes laser gun sounds. I talk to him all the time just like I do my grey. Hoping that he will pick up something he likes. If not he is still a keeper. So don't give up on Harley, he may all of a sudden decide to talk. You have given him a great new life and home and that is the best gift of all.