NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

finally found a good breeder! can't wait!

bigbird519

first off i must say that i LOVE this forum! i found it via the you tube videos about tui (my heart goes out to you brother).

my wife and i have been looking for a grey for a little while now, and we almost adopted an older grey. after much research on the www and this forum, i have decided to get a baby timneh. i am in CO, and out here they go for around 1600 bucks. i have called around the country and was planning on making a trip to Kansas to purchase a baby grey due to the amazing price dif. but last night i found a breeder in my state! 950 bucks for babies who are allowed to fly! i am soooo stoked.

unfortionatley, we are getting new flooring soon so i will have to wait. he said it will be about 5-6 months before the next batch. i have spoken on the phone with the breeder for quite a while and he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. he hand feeds, and harness trains the greys. he and his brother are breeding them at home, and they breed twice a year. they handle them as there own. i can not tell you how relieved i am to have found a breeder who is not clipping the wings of MY soon to be baby!

i am sure that i will be full of ?s for all of you more experienced in this matter. and yes i did introduce myself in the intro forum. i will continue to do much research (which will annoy my wife lol). now all i can do is hurry up and wait.

b.t.w. i have some time to think on a name. if you all could help me come up with a kick a** name that is not too gender specific, that would be sweet!

so far the wife and i think Slate is a cool name!

sorry to rant, i just wanted to share my excitement!

Your rant will not be recognized as a rant in this room! We all get your excitement and enthusiasm!!!

Congratulations on finding a good breeder who you feel comfortable with, and fantastic news on being able to get a bird that is not going to be clipped. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to watch my bird everyday and wish that he was flying... I like my breeder, but she feels strongly about clipping, and we have agreed to disagree on this point...

It'll be great if you can meet your chick early on, and get to know him or her before you even get it home. Some on here have done this, and I see huge benefits, don't get me wrong, I've been lucky, my parrot and I have a great relationship, but I can't help but wonder how much better it could even be if we were able to chill prior to him coming home?!

Others have also said that their chicks had an opportunity to choose them, what a great experience! Good luck, and try to enjoy your anticipation!

You might want to start preparing by buying some toys early on. Everything is a huge financial hit at the beginning, but then it smoothes out (yeah right, I can't stay out of the toy section)! :blink:

Congrats on finding a good breeder, its too bad you have to wait for the next hatch but good things come to those who wait and you are in for a treat.

I am also so pleased that you will leave your bird flighted, they don't have wings for nothing.

Just browse thru the toys and playstand room for lots of ideas for make your own toys and Carol7 has a lot of good ones in there.

This was a rant? Congratulations on the upcoming baby and now consider all this time you have until his/her arrival that it's parront training time. You get to read all the info, figure out the best toys, build several playstands, bird proof the house and get any and all home improvements in place before bringing baby home. You also have the opportunity to get your baby weaned onto the solid food of your choice (after doing your research) so you don't have to change it later. You can find all the best places in town to purchase the materials you need, find the best avian vet around and learn about all of our birds here so you'll have an idea of what to expect when your baby arrives. Congrats again, I wish you all the best!

Robin